A Look at Koei Tecmo's Latest Business Report

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

Koei Tecmo's latest business interview with CEO Hisashi Koinuma is a suspicious news piece that feels like a half-hearted retort to the horrible press they have received globally for their hair color scandal. On one middle finger you have the CEO saying "our own Japanese culture is how we found global success" and on the other middle finger he is saying Japanese "love paying some money for gacha" when infact we have it documented that they don't. He says Western players don't want to spend any money, as if the hair color scandal (which they dress as the mobile market for this interview) is somehow our faults for not understanding!

"Perhaps it's because Japan is an island nation and China is on the continent, but when it comes to games, they really want to compete and win against each other -- if you look at their game systems, a lot of them are designed so that you can spend money and get stronger in the game, and they really seem to enjoy that.

On the other hand, Japanese players prefer lottery or 'gacha' style systems, where you pay some money and don't know exactly what you'll get in return. Chinese players want to spend money directly to get stronger and win competitions. Western players are different again -- they prefer games where you can play and enjoy the game itself without paying much money. So, if we're going to launch in different markets, we definitely need to tune how the monetisation works in order to match the expectations of different cultures."

People are paying for DLC, Pay-to-Win & lottery wherever it is possible to do so, but I don't see any record of people "loving it." I've got a lot more to say on this, but I need some more time to think. It's a business article sure, but literally no credit given to Team NINJA at all despite them being the real reason behind any of KT's real recent success.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
and on the other middle finger he is saying Japanese "love paying some money for gacha" when infact we have it documented that they don't.

I don't think he's referring to DOA on that one. Japan consumer bases for most of the game genres are neutral to pay money to see what they get (especially mobile) least from what I read and hear. DOA JPN community don't I would imagine (well I guess they don't, a few I know actually likes spending to feel sort of premium or whatever) but the DOA one is outshined by the majority in Japan that are neutral with it/do like it that isn't DOA related. It's the general base to it all because it is true that gacha and mobile gaming has been on the rise lately over there, as well as slowly over here. I mean if you think about it, it's basically almost the closest and safest legal way to gamble without breaking the law to test their luck.

It's a business article sure, but literally no credit given to Team NINJA

Nioh was originally KT's idea and all TN did was make the game, as well Sony being the publisher and putting up the money (Hisashi Koinuma himself also co-produced Nioh). Part of this is because of what TN were given. If TN were given big things, they will make use of big things. If TN were given small things, they will make use of the small things. Sony has cash out the wazoo.

I don't even see Omega Force mentioned here either (which is another team that's within KT) though i'm sure they got praise for their work, even Bloodborne's producer praised TN for their work. Think the problem you are getting into is really just a DOA vs KT thing. Blame KT for that one.

despite them being the real reason behind any of KT's real recent success.

Yep, 100% agree. I can't sleep on Omega Force either considering how they did with Zelda, Gundam, and their newest one which is Persona. But I definitely agree 100%. Seriously, without TN, KT would be some heavily low tier corp out there. Nioh probably would of been just another Musou title, and god knows how many we have already with Musou.

Last edited:

kejaris

Standard Donor

Koei Tecmo's latest business interview with CEO Hisashi Koinuma is a suspicious news piece that feels like a half-hearted retort to the horrible press they have received globally for their hair color scandal. On one middle finger you have the CEO saying "our own Japanese culture is how we found global success" and on the other middle finger he is saying Japanese "love paying some money for gacha" when infact we have it documented that they don't. He says Western players don't want to spend any money, as if the hair color scandal (which they dress as the mobile market for this interview) is somehow our faults for not understanding!

People are paying for DLC, Pay-to-Win & lottery wherever it is possible to do so, but I don't see any record of people "loving it." I've got a lot more to say on this, but I need some more time to think. It's a business article sure, but literally no credit given to Team NINJA at all despite them being the real reason behind any of KT's real recent success.
Why do I get that "Surprise Mechanics" vibe when I read this statement? Vote with your wallet people. Stop paying for this stuff.

kejaris

Standard Donor
As much as I agree, sadly it's not as easy as that is unfortunately. The side effect of business.
I don't see how that is. I understand that the Microtransaction thing can vastly earn more money for game than just including basic features but you don't have to buy it. Eventually those sales figures will reflect that and they will have to change. Most likely another scheme will be cooked up. But some change should happen if as a group players let the sales starve righ

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I don't see how that is. I understand that the Microtransaction thing can vastly earn more money for game than just including basic features but you don't have to buy it.

It's because of the simple fact that if a certain way does not work, they may come up with an alternative that's just as similar or different while meeting it's goal (hence why it's business). It's corporate and ways to build revenue to continue it's game support even if it's weasel. Many other companies do this with the only difference is that some are more tolerable than others. Some get away with it because it's tolerable to begin with despite how scummy some are. KT just happens to be more obvious than others.

Eventually those sales figures will reflect that and they will have to change.

For the most part yes, choosing not to buy it is the simplest answer. But people also have to remember that change is not something that can just magically happen if a small demographic chooses not to buy it. This is something they have to speak on their boards and meetings while trying to find a solution to still grasp your money while also trying to convince you to continue playing the game. On top of it, whales flock to it which is usually the majority.

Most likely another scheme will be cooked up. But some change should happen if as a group players let the sales starve righ

Wouldn't surprise me.

It takes more than a group for the most part. You'd have to do some overhaul and massive convincing to do so. It took an uproar to change hair color price in DOA, imagine if people were silent? KT would of assumed people were alright with it, but if uproar is what it takes to get KT to change from purposely doing these things then it's a higher up problem that has to be addressed because even if sales starve, you'd have to actually "convince" them to not do it again or prevent them to do something similar. But because their methods are popular in Japan with some games in general including here in the west, it's really just a common attribute and knowing what to expect.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Now that you said it like that it makes a lot more sense. It's just really frustrating with these practices.

Yep it is, and it sadly affects fighting games a lot because of how niche they are+their budget vs other genres. On top of it, 3D fighters probably get hit the hardest since they are more expensive for development etc., which leads to the issue of budget that resorts to them to weasel with these types of tactics in the first place. 3D fighters need a good budget to get the ball rolling to avoid most problems.

It's why I still believe that Team NINJA knows more about DOA than their higher ups and publisher. TN wants to treat DOA as a genuinely good fighter, KT wants to treat it as a cash grab simulator. Difference? one holds more power than the other.

Last edited:

Anura

Western players are different again -- they prefer games where you can play and enjoy the game itself without paying much money.

He won't be so smug when Chinese officials decide to update their public health policy or Japanese lawmakers catch up to the current century and treat gacha games like gambling, quashing his company's revenue overnight.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD