About morons online

Yaguar

Well said, and this is exactly what I've told both JDE and Aelivia whenever I'm helping them out with the game. Never allow your wins to boast your ego. Never allow your losses discourage your from trying to improve. Improvment takes time and effort, so don't expect anything major to happen within a day. Keep training and playing for experience.

I agree with this. I always make an effort to find people who play an entire level minimum above me. Playing better people generally makes me play better and I start to twig onto things that work, what mix ups are more viable. I mean someone who will punish every whiff means I will stop whiffing. I know I will get smashed for it so I make more of an effort. Eventually it moves into general play and not just against those better opponents. It takes a few hundred losses to drill it into me though =p

Mailifang

Lol. Doing stupid things puts them in the news, and being in the news means people are talking about them. If people are talking about them they're buying their jerseys.

People are the same everywhere.

Or because your in the news for doing something the public doesn't like you get vilified.You lose sponsorships,you lose your status, you lose money, the fans turn on you and the public treats you like a criminal. It always costs these athletes money and respect in the long run when they do something dumb As much as we put our pro athletes and celebritiies on pedestals we can quickly rip them a new asshole when they screw up and do something stupid.

I don't know how things are in Canada with your athletes, but that's what happens here in the states. Not all press is good press especially when the public is out to get you. But if you have done more good than bad like win multiple championships, have maintained a good image for a long period of time, done lots of community work, and the public just likes you then you might get a pass for doing one major stupid thing and be allowed to comeback from it. As an American athlete as long as you don't cheat,murder someone, and are a complete ignorant asshole you can win back the american public.

Jefffcore

Anywho. Why is the FGC being compared to athletes anyway? Why is everything else always being compared to basketball? They're not equal.

The FGC as a whole isn't made up of pros, it's made up of gamers. There are pros of course, but when you're watching a stream, do you see anything different than what you see from pro athletes? I don't. You don't see what athletes are doing on their own time, either; gamers are active in forums, discussing things. People are all the same, it's silly to think athletes would be any different.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Anywho. Why is the FGC being compared to athletes anyway? Why is everything else always being compared to basketball? They're not equal.

The FGC as a whole isn't made up of pros, it's made up of gamers. There are pros of course, but when you're watching a stream, do you see anything different than what you see from pro athletes? I don't. You don't see what athletes are doing on their own time, either; gamers are active in forums, discussing things. People are all the same, it's silly to think athletes would be any different.
LMAO! You Mamba are the only 2 that said that using basketball comparisons is dumb. I guess ppl do it to try to prove a point. Only time I used a ball player as example was when somebody was boasting & bragging about their online wins & not being at tournaments. Other than that I ain't been using em.

Takeda-sama

Yes our pro athletes are very mature people but they are also HUMAN. As human beings we are not perfect,we make mistakes,we have feelings,we get angry, and at times we do some really stupid things, A person who is mature is not perfect but at least when a mature person makes a mistake they own up to it. They also don't let trash talkers or petty insults from idiots get to them most of the time. But they are a handful of pro athletes who lack maturity and don't want to be a role model.But over time they realize that being stubborn, immature, and an idiot will end up costing them money in the long run. And it has with some of the athletes you mentioned in your sarcasm laced post.

As a professional athlete,one who is in the public eye you are a role model whether you like it or not. Especially if the fans are help paying your salary. Making mistakes or doing something stupid doesn't always mean you lack maturity.Maturity is measured on whether you can can own up to your flaws and correct them.
Cheating on your wife once is human. 80 times is idiocy by any standard and there are plenty examples of sportsmen making ridiculous mistakes and not taking responsibility for them, eg Tiger Woods the first 79 times he cheated on his wife. If they become role models for you, that doesn't mean being a role model is their job.

Doa_Eater

It's pretty easy to spot them online. They bring a gun to a knife fight, get slashed hard and then complain.

MasterHavik

esports dude.....esports......no offense...but do you watch any type of sport instead of play video games all day? i mean I know the NHL is locked out and such. But come on deal don't tell me you didn't see that one coming dogg.

Takeda-sama

You're right, cause esports is the same as a forum. The pro athletes community has a forum? Piss off, they aren't the same thing.

NHL lockout just ended FYI.
My point is Jeff, whilst a video game and a sport aren't the same nor is a sportsman and a gamer, why should anyone expect manners and courtesy when playing online? You don't even know who you are playing, yet you automatically have an expectation of benevolence and maturity from your opponent. I think that's silly, and that it is the reason you have the ability to add specific players as friends. In terms of offline tournaments I know very little but from what I understand that's where the competitive community needs to focus their attention.

Jefffcore

My point is Jeff, whilst a video game and a sport aren't the same nor is a sportsman and a gamer, why should anyone expect manners and courtesy when playing online? You don't even know who you are playing, yet you automatically have an expectation of benevolence and maturity from your opponent. I think that's silly, and that it is the reason you have the ability to add specific players as friends. In terms of offline tournaments I know very little but from what I understand that's where the competitive community needs to focus their attention.
That's where I said people online weren't even pros, so it's not comparable (which from what I can see, is what everyone is basing their opinion from. Stuff online). People (Pros) at tournaments are super respectful. You see egos from people, but I guarantee athletes have egos, you just don't see them.

It's silly to think anyone is different or better than anyone else.

DR2K

Today was beat the shit out of Kokoro day in ranked. Holy fuck does this character hit like a truck. Luckily I have brokohoe on my side.

Dumbasses always using 2F+K strings.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Fear the Chocolate Crimson Fortune Cookies....That is all. Oh yeah, and offline we're the Westcoast Trollers. Taking over SCR son.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD