Almost broke my pad.

Kayin Amoh

So how do you guys cope with stress in this game? The above title's a bit of an exaggeration, but I've just had a few matches in a row where absolutely nothing went right for me. Whether due to lag or not, pretty simple combos were missed, counters came out too late, obvious moves snuck through and minor variations in stage elevations screwed up combos.

The annoying thing is that for some reason at crucial moments what was coming out was absolutely nothing like what I wanted to do. Possibly muscle memory's doing its thing over what my brain's reasoning out, but it seems that online preplanned combos and high power strings are way more important than trying to react to what's going on.

There's definitely some salt involved, but the huge disconnect about knowing what I need to do and doing something else entirely for God knows what reason's thrown me today. It's weird things that's doing it - a Kasumi doing two or three lows in a row that I'm expecting but can't react to, then a quick combo with a critical burst that does decent damage and is all the more annoying due to the previous inability to react in time.

I guess the main thing here is that I'm wondering if my brain is buggered and actively working against my wishes, or whether some things online are just harder to do even when you can see them coming a mile away.

Drake Aldan

It's just something that happens.

Play offline if at all possible. Delay makes slower characters harder to play, makes holding less accurate, can cause dropped combos, errors with throw punishment, etc., etc. To avoid frustration from this it's best to play offline (that is to say, if you lose offline, it's all on you).

That being said, persevere. Stick to lobby matches so you can adapt to repeated stimuli (nigh impossible in Ranked). Know your heavyweight combos (usually the most likely to connect in multiple various situations). If you get a tight feeling in your chest and your brow starts to furrow, don't run away! Stay there, grit your teeth, and push through.

Sometimes it really just can't be helped. But it all builds character in the end, anyway.

The important thing, throughout it all, is that you stay true to the idea of playing correctly. Making wise decisions, placing offense well, attempting to hold and throw punish when given the opportunity. Even if it goes wrong, if you at least have the idea of what you should be doing in your head, you can continue to push towards it. Given enough time you should eventually make it a reality.

Last edited:

AkaShocka

Well DOA has a bad netcode. Aside from that, anyone can pick it up and start pressing buttons......
Due to the netcode, while in lag vs a spammer, its in the spammer's favor..... or in the favor of whoever has the faster character. But without lag spammers are in trouble. They will get held and throw punished a lot. But the netcode.... thats a new story

NinjaMedic2

If you find out that you are getting mad at a game, then it is time for a break. Remember it is a game and nothing really to get pissed off at. You win some you lose some. I play because I love DoA win or lose lag or not.

Drake Aldan

If you find out that you are getting mad at a game, then it is time for a break. Remember it is a game and nothing really to get pissed off at.
... Not necessarily!

Being emotionally involved in the game is a completely natural response... Especially so if you have invested time and energy into the game.

If you spend hours poring over frame data, thinking up strategies, analyzing and reading opponents... How can you turn around and say "oh, it's just a game. I don't care." I would think at least some percentage of people would get fairly salty at times.

You should learn to control your emotions, but you shouldn't feel bad for having them.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
You can take the game seriously, but taking neet pray seriously is silly.

EDIT: Go to locals and get angry there.

Last edited:

Drake Aldan

You can take the game seriously, but taking neet pray seriously is silly.
You got something against NEETs?!

but really though, it is true. Online is best used as a casual environment for (consciously!) building muscle memory, testing strategies, and gaining valuable matchup experience.

Ideally you should take anything that happens online in stride... well, ideally.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i NEVER hit my equipment that shit cost money, i either hit my thigh or my chair's armrest. problem with that is i kept hitting it with my wrist bone so after about 10 losses it was starting to get pretty fucking painful.

also whether online or offline a loss is a loss im going to be frustrated either way you telling me to ignore the 20 game losing streak is not going to take the frustration.

David Gregg

i NEVER hit my equipment that shit cost money, i either hit my thigh or my chair's armrest. problem with that is i kept hitting it with my wrist bone so after about 10 losses it was starting to get pretty fucking painful.

lol Russian I've done that before too. Not for DOA but one specific time I remember playing SMG and I could not for the life of me do the purple coin challenge for Luigi and my wrists were definitely bruised by the time I finally did it. lol

Kayin Amoh

But if you throw your controller outside before setting fire to the place, the controller survives. AND IT HAS TO DIE.

KingGhidorah

Sure it does!
When you're stressing out, throw your controller and set the house on fire will relieve all of your stress! :)

It can be costly though, I've already pissed away millions after having to move several times upon blowing up certain homes of mine or burning them down while listening to Phil Collins "I don't care anymore."

The life of a DoA player is a rough one.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Well DOA has a bad netcode.
Ugh, no it doesn't. It's a peer to peer connection. Both parties internet have to be taken into account and how far away you live from each other. Stop it with the ignorant netcode comments.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD