Alpha 152 concerns?

synce

I actually love the shaa lol I couldn't remember where I've heard that before until just now, it's the same sound this crazy homeless chick made in one of the funniest scenes from Arakawa

shaaa.jpg

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Unlockable characters are ok, with either easy requirements or a way out. But it is overly a pain in the ass. Especially with a requirement like this one...

If the requirements are easy though, then there's no point in even locking the characters in the first place. I understand if they want to make something so hard to achieve that you get "bragging rights" for having it, but it should never be characters.

Fighting games should always be made with the tournament scene in mind too, and therefore all characters should be available from the get-go so that the event holders don't have to go through the tedious task of unlocking them on all of their systems. It works for normal play too. If I main Alpha, but my data gets corrupted one day, I then have to go through all of that hassle all over again before I can continue playing my MAIN CHARACTER. It's unacceptable.

I hope Alpha get some better counters and doesnt have the annoying floating animation after a long combo.

Me too.

I hope they don't use that annoying "SHA" voiceset she had in Dimensions. Only saw a few videos of her and it annoyed the crap out of me.

Tengu's "sha" sounds awesome though. :2::F+K:.

KwonJigglypuff

Heh, Dr. Dogg. Time for an Alpha breakdown.

Alpha is not officially announced to be playable character yet, so it is too soon. But I can't wait to see how she will work this time. I hope she is a solid character with a real strategy (a real "individuality" like they said..).

Raansu

And exactly what does that do for either party?

They can learn how to play her or move on? Face it, most people will pick her because she is a "boss" character not because they actually like her as a character.

Nightpup

They can learn how to play her or move on? Face it, most people will pick her because she is a "boss" character not because they actually like her as a character.
OK, yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I've always just liked her because jelly. I never factored in the "Derp boss character imma pick her and instawin" thought.

AKNova7

If the requirements are easy though, then there's no point in even locking the characters in the first place. I understand if they want to make something so hard to achieve that you get "bragging rights" for having it, but it should never be characters.

Fighting games should always be made with the tournament scene in mind too, and therefore all characters should be available from the get-go so that the event holders don't have to go through the tedious task of unlocking them on all of their systems. It works for normal play too. If I main Alpha, but my data gets corrupted one day, I then have to go through all of that hassle all over again before I can continue playing my MAIN CHARACTER. It's unacceptable.

I understand where you're coming from, but I really, really disagree. It all depends on what the developer is shooting for. After all, as seen by TN of the past, they haven't always made the game with the FGC in mind, and some of them still sold well anyway. However, I must agree that unlockable characters are a huge pain in the ass, but then again, even SSBB after SSBM's tournament scene had unlockable characters, same as fighting games.

Simply put, I don't think there should be unlock characters, unless the requirements are really easy, but I don't think that it should be to keep the tournament scene in mind too. To be completely honest, I hate how the FGC goes up in rage if a fighting game wants to use the Right Thumbstick for features. I think of fight sticks the same way as I think of Turtle Beaches/Tridents. They're tools to make the game much easier and efficient when mastered correctly. I've never liked that, and think that control wise, everyone should be on the same level. But I suppose that's an argument for another time.

Anyway, you're right, shouldn't be unlocks, have to agree, but I agree for a different reason than just the tournament scene, even the people that take the game very seriously but just play online have serious match-up problems if they can't train against a powerful character.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
However, I must agree that unlockable characters are a huge pain in the ass, but then again, even SSBB after SSBM's tournament scene had unlockable characters, same as fighting games.

Well with SSBM it wasn't a big deal because they could use Action Replay. Not sure if there's anything like that for SSBB though.

Anyway, you're right, shouldn't be unlocks, have to agree, but I agree for a different reason than just the tournament scene, even the people that take the game very seriously but just play online have serious match-up problems if they can't train against a powerful character.

Right. Plus like I said before, if their data gets corrupted, they have to unlock everything all over again.

AKNova7

Well with SSBM it wasn't a big deal because they could use Action Replay. Not sure if there's anything like that for SSBB though.

Right. Plus like I said before, if their data gets corrupted, they have to unlock everything all over again.

Well, technically, for Xbox, all you have to do is mod a game save.

...For PS3...yeah, that could be a problem.

Although, I have an idea to fix this, but it might be impractical. Backlink the 152 unlock to the acheivements. So if you have the 152 acheivement, the character is unlocked automatically. Which is why I wish there were acheivements for every character unlock. That way, you could at a tournament distribute a modded profile to every Xbox and that way you could easily set up a tournament.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor

Although, I have an idea to fix this, but it might be impractical. Backlink the 152 unlock to the acheivements. So if you have the 152 acheivement, the character is unlocked automatically. Which is why I wish there were acheivements for every character unlock. That way, you could at a tournament distribute a modded profile to every Xbox and that way you could easily set up a tournament.

another solution would be to have the company supply an unlock code to tournament organizers..i dont think thats too hard .. have the code disable game achievements as well so they dont pop up mid match as well .. (although you can disable those popups manually )

god I remember the times where id have to go early to a tournament and grind my way through the game just to unlock everyone .. (im looking at you soul calibur 4 ! lol )

DR2K

That's not how it works, you still have to do the requirement regardless of trophy/achievement if the save isn't there.

synce

I'm not sure what backlinking is but for DOA4 all you have to do to unlock everything is download a completed save and re-sign it for your profile. There's also save unlocking tools for PS3 but I'm not sure if they will work without custom firmware. Man I miss the days before achievements ruined save sharing

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD