Alternative counter system in DoA?

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
They should go for a more 'conventional' stun system, for starters. The way stun works in DOA may be considered unique and all that stuff. However, going from VF to play some DOA makes it look... weird. The 'stun game', the concept of 'working out the stun' feels quite silly. With some characters (who lack guaranteed situations/tools) you're constantly trying to extend it to get a CB or a decent launch height, to finally get some guaranteed damage from a juggle. All that while the opponent gets the opportunity to hold you each time you try enlarge the stun threshold. It's just bad.
-I agree with your complaints with the current incarnation of the stun system, however, going for a more 'conventional' stun system will not work well with the flow of post Doa1 play. Studying the mechanics of the game for so long, one of the better solutions would be a multi-tiered stun system.
  • 1.Light/Medium Stuns(2-3 hit string max before knock down) = Only Stagger escapable.
  • 2.Heavy stuns(1 hit only. Follow up attacks result in Special Critical Stun status) = Inescapable up to launcher and Critical burst frames.
  • 3.Special Critical Stuns(General Doa4/5 stun game, 4-7 hit max before knock down) = Escapable by Defensive Holding.
-This system will promote specific attack usage(Need for better understanding of attack attributes), deeper level of play(players on defence will have to look out for certain patterns, and apply proper defence accordingly. Players on offence will have to mix up stun attacks to apply the most efficient and effective pressure. All while maintaining Doa's stun system flow. I say this would be one of the better solutions because, it gives the competitive players options. If your style is that of more safe type of play, you can opt for options #1 and #2. If You like to take a chance and go for more damage, you can opt for option #3.

HoodsXx

They should just put the Critical Burst to how it was in the E3 demo. :/ 2-3 hits and you get a Critical Burst. Then work on the whole holds idea that Blackula came up with.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD