Any tips for a newbie?

Before I get anywhere, I do consider myself as a newbie, or beginner if you'd prefer. I do have DOA2 on Dreamcast, have played 3 on Xbox years ago, used to have Dimensions on 3DS but sold it since the game really wasn't challenging, but right now I'm playing Core Fighters on the PS3 and believe me, I really suck. I find myself to do really good with Ayane and her kicks however, but I wouldn't really consider myself good since I'm just pressing buttons looking to find combos. I haven't played an online match yet, but I played against my cousin and even he is a better player (yeah, sad). So I just wanna ask for tips from people who have played the games much more than I have. What are good defense strategies? And what about when your opponent knocks you into a combo or against the wall and you can't get out of it and do anything? I just need some help and tips for when I'm playing against a human player. I have a thing where I get really embarrassed when someone wants to fight and I'm awful compared to them and I really would love to change that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD