Bad Translations?

Darkton93

In general, the translation from 4 is pretty good, and Hayabusa's "I have no weaknesses" comes from 4. A closer one might be "I have no blind spot", but it's hard to do this stuff by ear. Usually, to get my stuff, I set the subtitles to Japanese when I'm absolutely not sure.

As for the Tengu stuff, quote one is accurate, quote two references some kind of divinity in him, quote three's good too, quote four I need to think about (again, need the Japanese script), can't find anything on the last one.

Here's an interesting one:

Kasumi: "Niisan! Hayate niisan!"
All translations: "Hayate! My brother!"
Actual: "Brother! Brother Hayate!" (It's a common archetype in Japanese to have a little sister pining over her "oniisan" or older brother.)

Ein: "Shiteiruka... ore wo?"
DOA2U: "How do you know me?"
Actual: "You know... me?" (Pay attention to this part. He uses the Japanese personal pronoun "ore", which is a tough informal masculine.)

Kasumi: "Datte... Niisan ja?"
DOA2U: Hayate... what's going on?
Actual: "But... aren't you my brother?"

Ein: "Omoidashita... Waga na wa Hayate!"
DOA2U: It has all come back to me. My name is Hayate!
Actual: "I remember... My name is Hayate!" (Hayate changes his pronoun to "waga", which is an archaic version of "ore".)

d3v

Most translations aren't straight up literal ones. The folks in charge of localization will more often than not change the translations a bit to something slightly different for some reason or other. Usually because something sounds more natural than the direct translation. Other times, because they think that by changing it, the meaning is conveyed better than a straight translation or because the original idiom does not work at all in the West (i.e. the whole "good vibrations" thing).

Last edited:

David Gregg

Well...I'll make the one exception for "good vibrations", but yeah I agree with d3v it makes more sense when it's altered. There's a conversation in Lei Fang's story before she verses Jann in 4 and the wording can make it a little confusing. For example she says the inside of the doatec tritower is "moody" whereas we would probably say something like "romantic" instead.

Darkton93

Most translations aren't straight up literal ones. The folks in charge of localization will more often than not change the translations a bit to something slightly different for some reason or other. Usually because something sounds more natural than the direct translation. Other times, because they think that by changing it, the meaning is conveyed better than a straight translation or because the original idiom does not work at all in the West (i.e. the whole "good vibrations" thing).
Well, this thread isn't about interpretations. It's about not even trying to get it right.

Such as...

Bayman's "Nanjaku da na"
DOA3: You are a coward.
Actual: How fragile.

Leifang's "Yoroshiku (ne/te)!"
DOA2U: Here we go!
Actual: Nice to meet you! (In general, Leifang is a very polite girl, something which usually isn't carried over in translations.)

Zack's "Ore te oosama."
DOA3: Who's your daddy?
Actual: I am the greatest! (Or, "I'm the man," which one of Zack's other lines is given in DOA3.)

Leon's "Kakko warui..."
DOA3: I'm a loser.
Actual: This doesn't look good...

You'll notice a lot of this stuff comes from DOA3. I dunno if it's something unique to 3.0 due to it being rushed, but in general, characters tend to fall under "close but not exact" or "not even close." This seems to affect minor characters, hence a lot of Leon in this thread.

d3v

Well, this thread isn't about interpretations. It's about not even trying to get it right.

Such as...

Bayman's "Nanjaku da na"
DOA3: You are a coward.
Actual: How fragile.

Actual: Nice to meet you! (In general, Leifang is a very polite girl, something which usually isn't carried over in translations.)

Zack's "Ore te oosama."
DOA3: Who's your daddy?
Actual: I am the greatest! (Or, "I'm the man," which one of Zack's other lines is given in DOA3.)

Leon's "Kakko warui..."
DOA3: I'm a loser.
Actual: This doesn't look good...

You'll notice a lot of this stuff comes from DOA3. I dunno if it's something unique to 3.0 due to it being rushed, but in general, characters tend to fall under "close but not exact" or "not even close." This seems to affect minor characters, hence a lot of Leon in this thread.
Because, as stated, they aren't out to make translations. As stated, localization often means changing lines to something that the team thinks will be more easily relatable in the context of the country of that it's being localized for. It's less about what exactly the character is saying and more about what that character type would more likely say.

Nameless Sama

Ryu say for example : " Gomen " that means "sorry" but in the english version it means " enough "

Ryu X Kasumi Intro " Its over " but in the japanese version " Ikuzo " Ikuzo = Lets Go

Hayate : " Enough " japanese = Kenzo or something like that. If you compare Ryus " enough " with Hayates "enough".

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I think one has to remember that when DOA2: Hardcore added an English VA cast, most of the translations and lines weren't done really well. Even though I enjoyed the Hardcore dub, it was very awful. But a lot of fighting games don't use literal translations. Especially if the literal translation doesn't match the mouth movement for an English dub. DOA5/U has horrid lip syncing, but it's not so bad that it takes away from the overall game.

Darkton93

Ryu say for example : " Gomen " that means "sorry" but in the english version it means " enough "

Ryu X Kasumi Intro " Its over " but in the japanese version " Ikuzo " Ikuzo = Lets Go

Hayate : " Enough " japanese = Kenzo or something like that. If you compare Ryus " enough " with Hayates "enough".
Well, keep in mind Hayate and Hayabusa are using archaic Japanese.

I'm working on others right now, but I still need to translate some obviously bad ones.

Tina's "I'm gonna open a can of whoop-ass on you" or her "Say hi to the pavement" or most horribly, Gen Fu's "I've fallen and I can't get up." -_-

Batcommander

Interesting! I always thought she was a bitch tbh lol

Faust-san

Hey I know that only the opening/ending scenes have subtitles but I'm really curious about the words that Rachel say when she performs her blender kick, and her 2 air grabs... do any of you know what they mean?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD