Ban stages for tag?

Should the following stages be banned from Tag Tournament play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
This came up in a discussion with myself and Mr_Kwiggle at the recent GVN Winter Brawl 7 during the tag tournament.

We wanted the Coming Soon Circus stage, the Gym, and Dead or Alive (DOA4 Wrestling Ring) to be removed from the Random Stage rotation in relation to the Tag Mode for our match.

These three stages are way too small for tag we felt.

I wanted to get the communities' take on banning these stages from Tag Tournaments officially.

synce

I'm confused, why ban small stages for tag but keep, say, danger zones (for singles)? What's the argument for danger zones, aside from them being "part of the game" - like the small stages?

Omegan Eckhart

Dead or Alive should be removed in all tournament play, characters like Jann Lee benefit from it too much.

Sweat is just a slightly larger version of Dead or Alive but there is just enough space to justify leaving it in.

Coming Soon is an okay size, it's not great but again it's not small enough to justify removing it.

Keylay

I plan to practice Tag in the future and I was only planning to use the stages Arrival, Dead or Alive, and Sakura. I actually took Fighting entertainment and Sweat off my random filter in singles because Kasumi's back flip wall splats during aerial combos and one of her attacks that gives her a back turned stun also wall splats. Those stages would limit her ability to do long tag juggles but I know there a some combos that you can switch sides in so you may be able to avoid the walls.

On the other hand though, I'm wondering if someone is going to find a 100% kill combo off of one hit. Having smaller stages may prevent that. But I still rather larger stages.

Belinea

I disagree completely about banning tag stages. Even lower tier characters, such as Eliot or Hitomi, benefit greatly from the potential wall combos. Eliot's 236f+p has pretty great wall carry already, but against a wall in tag it becomes really dangerous due to the amount of instant 3p he can do. Banning these stages would just take away another tool from characters that desperately need them.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm confused, why ban small stages for tag but keep, say, danger zones (for singles)? What's the argument for danger zones, aside from them being "part of the game" - like the small stages?

Open space is required in tag for most options to actually become options. Currently, putting your back to a wall is actually the safest thing you can do in tag, and that's fairly ass backwards as to how it should be. Tag juggles simply are not possible in most cases because of this. The stun game is not meant to play any role whatsoever in Tag, so the benefit of a wall is pointless.

The danger zone argument for singles is completely different. The stun game still plays a role in singles, and the wall is a strategic shortcut to avoid that aspect of the game. It becomes a welcome addition instead of a barrier to offensive opportunity.

The important underlying thing is, purposely putting your back to a wall should never be a good thing because it is too easy to do. In tag it is, and to rectify that you make the stages bigger.

We still have no problem with dangerzones. We're all for keeping the Lab stage in there, because it gives you the space required to do your tag stuff in addition to giving you electrified floor and wall options.

Omegan Eckhart

I disagree completely about banning tag stages. Even lower tier characters, such as Eliot or Hitomi, benefit greatly from the potential wall combos. Eliot's 236f+p has pretty great wall carry already, but against a wall in tag it becomes really dangerous due to the amount of instant 3p he can do. Banning these stages would just take away another tool from characters that desperately need them.
I don't think making the general experience for tag being worse for the benefit of lower tier characters makes much sense. If the whole point of tag is to execute excessively long combo's then it makes sense to remove stages that stop players from doing that.
The important underlying thing is, purposely putting your back to a wall should never be a good thing because it is too easy to do. In tag it is, and to rectify that you make the stages bigger.
I understand that stopping the opponent from landing a large tag combo on you is great for the person on the defensive but I'd assume getting combo'd on the wall would hurt just as bad.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

And without those walls he could be getting 100% with perfect execution.

Low tier indeed.

DR2K

I don't thnk anything should be banned unless it's game breaking. Smaller tag stages means you have to adjust your tag combos to do more damaging relaunchers instead of higher refloats. Some characters also have better refloats at the wall in tag as well. Off the top of my head Sarah and Eliot benefit greatly from wall in tag.

Omegan Eckhart

He might be right, look what happened when people said about banning Ends of the Earth from tournament play. They ended up taking away counter hit status from that stage and then proceeded to remove counter hit status from every bit of water in every stage in the game.

If we are not careful they might end up taking away the walls.

KwonJigglypuff

Must admit I hate playing Sweat in tag for some reason. However, I think it's the player's duty to adapt to the stage size... no stage should be banned in DOA5... I mean, there are so much randomness already (danger zone, walls, cliff..)

dawnbringer

There's no option to vote for "neither". The poll itself presents results with an assumption that something must be banned.

Tones

Premium Donor
Sweat has the most annoying song in the game so remove it. Oh yeah it's pretty small and the rope bounce makes it feel smaller.

Dead or alive for the similar reasons (difference being the music isn't as annoying). I failed to include it in my vote =o.

Evil_Gotenks

It does seem a tad odd there is no "No" option since the question is worded "should they be banned" rather than "which should be banned".

Although they r very small, i think the variety is kinda important, makes the game switch up a little bit. And Fighting Entertainment has those electric ropes, so it'd have the most damaging walls of the three smalls.

But realtalk, Sweat can be banned for its music. And if TN is readin this, Sweat is broken and OP. Patch it out.

ScattereDreams

Why does "Dead or Alive/heliport" have more votes to be banned over sweat and coming soon? I thought it was the second biggest out of all the tag stages next to the Sakura the stage. Fighting entertainment, and sweat are the smallest tag stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD