Can someone please explain to me "Free Cancelling"

So I partly understand the concept of Free Cancelling strings: you begin a string, and then you cancel a part of it with the F button and finally finish it with another string/move?

But I haven't been able to find clarification on the following details of this:

1) At which point in a string can a free cancel be done, is it any time or only after certain moves?
2) After the F button is pressed, which moves can be used to finish the string, again is it any moves or is there only a select few?
3) After the F button is pressed, is only a single move cancelled into or an entire string, since if it were a string wouldn't that mean than you could cancel into a new string of moves infinitely?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can shed some light for me. I haven't been able to find this answered anywhere yet.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You are entering a string. Free cancelling stops that string from being continued if your next button input would extend the string instead of starting the new string you want.

For example say you wanted to do :6::P: with Jann Lee and then do a jab :P:.

If you did :6::P: then pressed :P: during the string delay time period (different window for each move in a string) you'd get :6::P::P: instead of a jab.

If you did :6::P::h::P: the :h: is telling the game that you do not want to continue the :6::P: string as :6::P::h: is not a recognized string notation of the character's move list. The jab will come out once the recovery of the :6::P: string has ended due to the buffering system.

You don't HAVE to press :h:. You can just wait it out for the string recovery to end, but due to the mistiming available it's easier to just push H and have the :P: buffered to come out the moment the recovery ends.

Ok great. So I'm a little confused still about how the :h: affects the recovery of the move before the cancel. If I understand correctly it's faster to do :6::P::h::P: then to do :6::P: wait, then do :P: ? If so does that mean that the :h: shortens the recovery of the the move before it (:6::P: in this case)?

Also, is it only single moves than can be cancelled into or entire strings eg. Dragon Cannon cancel into Dragon Rush (Jann Lee)
:P::P::P::h::P::P::P::K: is this possible?
Sorry for all these theoretical questions, I'm away from my PS3 for the next 2 weeks and so can't try this out myself :(

Ghosty-J

Ok great. So I'm a little confused still about how the :h: affects the recovery of the move before the cancel. If I understand correctly it's faster to do :6::P::h::P: then to do :6::P: wait, then do :P: ? If so does that mean that the :h: shortens the recovery of the move before it?

Also, is it only single moves than can be cancelled into or entire strings eg. Dragon Cannon cancel into Dragon Rush (Jann Lee)
:P::P::P::h::P::P::P::K: is this possible?
Sorry for all these theoretical questions, I'm away from my PS3 for the next 2 weeks and so can't try this out myself :eek:

You have the basic idea down, but there's no need for the :h: input since the only :P: followup going for that string for Jann Lee is :6::P:. The purpose of free canceling is to interrupt a string from finishing to make room for another attack. Strings can be delayed. For instance. You input :P:, then want to follow up with :2::P:. If you press the followup :P: too soon, you'll only end up doing a delayed version of the :P::P: string. Inputting :h: after the first :P: reassures you can safely pull off the additional attack that you want without the fear of using an unintentional string.

And on another note, I love your name. And I LOVE your avatar. You are awesome!!!

tumblr_lu2oxiRwq51qdhsxp.gif

Haha thanks. My dream game: DOA X Tekken. My ultimate tag team: Jann Lee & Law!! Just imagine the tag throws. That would be awesome.

I think I get it now, when you mentioned the string delays it started to make more sense to me. Thanks a lot

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Haha thanks. My dream game: DOA X Tekken. My ultimate tag team: Jann Lee & Law!! Just imagine the tag throws. That would be awesome.

I think I get it now, when you mentioned the string delays it started to make more sense to me. Thanks a lot
I wouldn't mind seeing Christie and Zafina screw each other myself.

But I have hentai for that...

DOA X Tekken would never happen. the devs don't take kindly to Tekken and plus Tekken is more a 2D fighter.
Whether or not Tekken is a 2D fighter wouldn't matter in my opinion, because there would probably need to be some comprise in terms of the different game mechanics, just as in Street Fighter X Tekken/Tekken X Street Fighter. In this sense there would probably need to be two versions: DOA X Tekken & Tekken X DOA, where in each version one series' mechanics are tweaked to the other series' and vice versa. I personally love both series' for different reasons. Whether it is likely to happen or not is another story all together. One can only hope, even if the chance is small ;)

Vincent Rayne

Whether or not Tekken is a 2D fighter wouldn't matter in my opinion, because there would probably need to be some comprise in terms of the different game mechanics, just as in Street Fighter X Tekken/Tekken X Street Fighter. In this sense there would probably need to be two versions: DOA X Tekken & Tekken X DOA, where in each version one series' mechanics are tweaked to the other series' and vice versa. I personally love both series' for different reasons. Whether it is likely to happen or not is another story all together. One can only hope, even if the chance is small ;)
i get you but the thing is that Tekken and SF get all these different games coming out because they make A LOT of money. Soul Calibur 5 was rushed and thrown to the side because Namco/Bandai wanted to turn their attention to Tekken Tag and Tekken X SF. Tekken is Namco/Bandai's main money maker so they, as a company, are naturally gonna turn their attention more towards that game. Team Ninja/Techmo's main money maker is DOA, i think, but even the amount of money they make can't even sniff the tier that Tekken and SF rest on. the Virtua Fighter crossover was due to DOA using a similar fighting engine to VF when they started. i think it was the same one that Virtua fighter had, i believe. but regardless the two games were related. we are in a crossover generation. all these games that are out that have other games involved in them, especially fighting games. Sega i believe started this with Fighters Megamix. that game was a lot of fun. Then the next big one that i know of was Soul Calibur 2. no, Super Smash Bros. came before that. then Soul Calibur 4 came out and it was at that time the crossover series hit it off. it's just what consumers want but it's mainly about money.

Sure I understand, of coarse every game is about the profit it makes to one degree or another. The important factor about this though is demand from fans. Especially in the past several releases, the Tekken franchise has been very concerned with what its fans want in the newest releases of each game. There has always been a rivalry between Street Fighter and Tekken, and a crossover game has been on the short list of fans for many years.

I think a similar rivalry exists between DOA and Tekken. There are many gameplay features which one series has borrowed from the other over the years (and vice versa) and used it to great success in their own way. I personally think that if there was enough demand from the fans both sides would seriously consider this. One of the things that's preventing this though is that prior to DOA5 at least the DOA series wasn't considered a serious fighting game by tournament players from other fighting series'. Even though I don't share this opinion, it has been in the back of the mind of many in the fighting game community. Tekken had a similar reception from SF players in its beginnings and was considered a "one hit wonder" game. But over time it gained its respect and now has a huge loyal following. I think DOA is on it's way to this as well, it may take some time but it will get there, and when it does the Tekken gang will be seriously watching there back ;)

Vincent Rayne

especially with the new patch. DOA5 is now considered a legit competitive game now. and is even considered by many to be the best DOA game ever. hopefully this will boost it's attention and have people consider some future projects for the game. now it just has to receive well from the consumers.

saikyom

I think the problem with tekken was with itagaki not the whole devs of DOA
now that he's gone, maybe it's possible doa x tekken or doa x Virtua fighter

Ghosty-J

I've been in love with Tekken forever now, but I'd much rather see a DoAxVF if anything. They've already had a crossover with Street Fighter, let Virtua Fighter have a shot at an awesome crossover that doesn't involve Fighting Vipers : P

I've been in love with Tekken forever now, but I'd much rather see a DoAxVF if anything. They've already had a crossover with Street Fighter, let Virtua Fighter have a shot at an awesome crossover that doesn't involve Fighting Vipers : P
Haha, yeah I have to say that all the weird animal/monster characters are a low point of Tekken for me. Gon in T3 was fun, but seriously, having a kangaroo, dinosaur, god knows how many robots, and other weird monster things all in one game seems very stupid for a game that takes itself way too seriously more often than not.

That said I can understand why people would like to see DOA and VF in a crossover game, but in my opinion because the two share a very similar engine it would kind of spoil the whole point of a crossover. I find it more interesting to see how the creators of one completely different series convert the gameplay of the other series into theirs. Eg. turning Tekken into true 2D, changing the frames of its moves etc in SF X T. DOA5 already has several VF characters, I guess the next step would be for VF to include some from DOA. Just my opinion ;)

saikyom

you hava Naga from slayers as avatar :) cool :D

Vincent Rayne

Nigga you just went full retard.
any game where you press back to block and has shave damage is a 2D fighter technically. but judging by your reply i wouldn't expect you to know or understand technicalities or even know the difference between a 2D or 3D fighter. pls make more dumb post. they are entertaining.

unseen wombat

You don't recognize me from 8wr? I've been playing Tekken, MK, SC and DOA since the late 90's. I know the difference between 2 and 3D fighters. And if your criteria of holding back to block versus a button is what differentiates 2D from 3D then I guess MK is a 3D fighter.

Whatever bro. I know you hate tekken but that's no reason to live in a fantasy world.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD