Character Builds

Brute

Standard Donor
So I'm on a second playthrough, and despite doing pretty much everything the same (every mission/side mission once, no farming) I'm a lot stronger this time and the game is a bit too simple to power through. To change things up, I went for a heavy, tank-like build with high Body/Stamina and the spear as my go-to weapon of choice. I beat Yuki-Onna on my first try, since now it took her three complete strikes to deplete my health bar (as opposed to my original playthrough where basically every attack was a one-shot, aside from her ice breath). Crazy how different the game feels with a different build.

just_me

Standard Donor
So I threw something together, it's not made to one-shot bosses in WotD, but I found it fairly amusing nonetheless.

It's basically a facetank build since the Odachi is kinda slow and backcrits are… effort. You can just pull through with your combos and Moonlit Snow while getting attacked and still come out on top… possibly without a scratch.

Gear and important rolls
Usami Nagamitsu
  • CTA(Strength)
  • Close Combat Dmg
  • Familiarity Dmg Bonus
  • Killing Strike/Final Blow Dmg | CCD(Blustered) | CCD Ki Reduction
  • Status Ailment Augmentation(Bluster)
Gozutenno’s Axe
  • irrelevant
Warrior of the West Bow/ Ravenwing Rifle
  • Agility Dmg Bonus
Tatenashi: Kabuto (Head)
  • Weight Dmg Reduction
  • Bonus for Absorbing Amrita (Auto-Recovery)
  • Attack (inherit)
Master Swordsman’s Armor: Do (Chest)
  • Received Elemental Attack Dmg
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Tatenashi: Kote (Arms)
  • Attack
  • Weight Reduction
Tatenashi: Hizayoroi (Legs)
  • Evasion Ki Usage
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Tatenashi: Suneate (Feet)
  • Evasion Ki Usage
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Yasakani Magatama/ Accessory 2
Clan
  • Todo
Prestige Point perks
  • Onmyo Magic Power
  • Health
Spirits
  • Tengen Kujaku
  • Genbu | Izuna
Stats
  • Body 10+
  • Heart 20+
  • Stamina ~38+ (enough for B Agility)
  • Strength 99
  • Skill 10
  • Dexterity 10
  • Magic 30+ (enough for full capacity)
  • Spirit 25
Skills
  • most Weapon Passives
  • Axe: Rage
  • Odachi: Mystic Art: Subtle Blade, all active skills
  • rest in Melee Mastery, or whatever
  • Ninjutsu: irrelevant
  • Onmyo: Wind/Water Talisman & Shot x3, Steel x3, Protection x3, Extraction x3
Reasoning
The key idea is to pop steel and protection to up your own, already high defence, use Bluster and Weeken Melee weapon to decrease enemy damage and then just wail at the enemy with an active extraction talisman to get Tengen buffs. You could go for Discord/Confusion as well, though most bosses won’t last long enough to get much out of it. With bluster applied I could kill bosses in WotD that couldn't break the shield from protection.

It’s a tank build, so we get the 5 piece Tatenashi bonus for Dmg Reduction. Since there aren’t any other great 3-4 piece bonuses available, just get as many 2 piece bonuses as possible for the additional dmg reduction. The Master Swordsman Skill Ki reduction is nice imo, better than most other 2 piece heavy perks you could get. Yasakani is obviously a must. If you get Elemental Dmg Reduction from all listed sources, it’s above 100% making you immune to all elemental dmg and the effects as well. Just standing there while Ishida Mitsunari shoots at you without any effect is pretty hilarious imo, though since a Yasakani with that affix might be hard to get, it can be ignored completely. The weight reduction is to get to B agility despite all the heavy amor, the higher the investment in Stamina the less reduction rolls are required. I think rolling reduction on chest and legs might be enough @99 stam.

Usami Nagamitsu is the only set Odachi, so we use this one for the additional Dmg reduction. The fixed skill also reduces attack dmg of enemies by a lot, though it’s chance to proc is lower than the normal, rollable version rolls… lame.

Gozutenno's is also picked for a reason… Rage is one of the best available Dmg buffs and the 2 piece bonus increases it’s duration, great. And of course more Dmg Reduction.

Otherwise rolls are pretty standard imo.

Todo clan gives additional health for each stamina point and 10% additional CCD for the heavy amor pieces (2% each).

Picked Tengen as Guardian since imo it’s pretty easy with an Odachi to get multiple Tengen buffs at once, due to the mid combo stance switching and the High stance buff exceeds Kara-Jishi’s in damage. Tengen also increases the duration of elemental talismans, which we rely on.

Imo Genbu and Izuna are decent secondary spirits… Genbu gives more Onmyo power and thus helps with applying bluster. Izuna reduces Ki cost… except for the really rare 20% CC Ki Reduction, significant Ki reduction is pretty hard to get and the Odachi needs a lot of Ki, so even 8% reduction is not bad.

Get as little body as you are comfortable with (Todo gives and additional HP boost from Stamina, so keep that in mind), though I’d put at least a few points into it, since you get a lot of Health for the first few points. Dexterity and Skill aren’t required either, but at least some points for the secondary effects won’t hurt. We need max Onmyo capacity, so at least 30 points, with 40 points it should be possible to apply bluster in 1, or 2 shots on non resistant enemies.

25 Spirit is required for all Tengen buffs, could get away with 22, since the senses are not required.

Strength is the primary Dmg stat, so dump as many points as you can. Even with weight reduction you need at least 38 points in Stamina to get B agility. Heart is also a damage stat so invest a few points as well. Probably smarter to raise Stamina over Heart, due to the Todo clan. Ki gains above 40 Heart are also fairly low.

When it comes to skill point allocation, obviously pick Odachi skills first, we also need Rage from the Axe tree. After that get as many passives as you can and dump the rest in Melee mastery, or whatever you want from other weapon for more flexibility.

You can pick whatever Ninjutsu you want, with 10 points in Dex you can have up to 20 capacity. I picked stuff like Tiger running, or Medicine Man, paralysis defense doesn't hurt either.

Readied Onmyo spells are
  • Talisman: Water: II and III
  • Talisman: Wind: II and III
  • Wind Shot: I, II and III
  • Steel: I, II and III
  • Protection: I, II and III
  • Extraction: II and III
and that’s 40 points already :(
There should be a fair amount of points left, so pick other stuff that makes you tankier… like Yokai Dmg reduction.

The build doesn't really require an Odachi, though something that scales with Stamina is probably a good idea, since the build requires investment in this stat. The level requirement is fairly low as well (though it's still an NG+ build…), with CTA(Stamina) picking Stamina as the primary damage stat is an option as well (while reducing weight and increasing health at the same time!).You could also play a more offensive version with carnage and without protection and still be able to take a few hits. Secondary element can be switched as well, though I think Water is the most useful.

Performed decently for me, while I still get the feeling I actually play the game… Blade Spin and Kunai builds are just too boring imo.

I “legitametely” got through Two in the Shadows with this, without too much trouble and additional cheese and I think this is the most annoying Dual boss fight. Even though you take no Dmg from Okatsu's Lightning buff, she could still electrify me, that was lame.

EDIT for clarity

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So I threw something together, it's not made to one-shot bosses in WotD, but I found it fairly amusing nonetheless.

It's basically a facetank build since the Odachi is kinda slow and backcrits are… effort. You can just pull through with your combos and Moonlit Snow while getting attacked and still come out on top… possibly without a scratch.

Gear and important rolls
Usami Nagamitsu
  • CTA(Strength)
  • Close Combat Dmg
  • Familiarity Dmg Bonus
  • Killing Strike Dmg | CCD(Blustered) | CCD Ki Reduction
  • Status Ailment Augmentation(Bluster)
Gozutenno’s Axe
  • irrelevant
Warrior of the West Bow/ Ravenwing Rifle
  • Agility Dmg Bonus
Tatenashi: Kabuto
  • Weight Dmg Reduction
  • Bonus for Absorbing Amrita (Auto-Recovery)
  • Attack (inherit)
Master Swordsman’s Armor: Do
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Tatenashi: Kote
  • Attack
  • Weight Reduction
Tatenashi: Hizayoroi
  • Evasion Ki Usage
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Tatenashi: Suneate
  • Evasion Ki Usage
  • Weight Reduction
  • Attack (inherit)
Yasakani Magatama/ Accessory 2
Clan
  • Todo
Prestige Point perks
  • Onmyo Magic Power
  • Health
Spirits
  • Tengen Kujaku
  • Genbu | Izuna
Stats
  • Body 10+
  • Heart 20+
  • Stamina ~38+ (enough for B Agility)
  • Strength 99
  • Skill 10
  • Dexterity 10
  • Magic 30+ (enough for full capacity)
  • Spirit 25
Skills
  • most Weapon Passives
  • Axe: Rage
  • Odachi: Mystic Art: Subtle Blade, all active skills
  • rest in Melee Mastery, or whatever
  • Ninjutsu: irrelevant
  • Onmyo: Wind/Water Talisman & Shot x3, Steel x3, Protection x3, Extraction x3
Reasoning
The key idea is to pop steel and protection to up your own, already high defence, use Bluster and Weeken Melee weapon to decrease enemy damage and then just wail at the enemy with an active extraction talisman to get Tengen buffs. You could go for Discord/Confusion as well, though most bosses still won’t last long enough to get much out of it. With bluster applied I could kill bosses in WotD that couldn't break the shield from protection.

It’s a tank build, so we get the 5 piece Tatenashi bonus for Dmg Reduction. Since there aren’t any other great 3-4 piece bonuses available, just get as many as possible for the additional dmg reduction. The Master Swordsman Skill Ki reduction is nice imo, better than most other 2 piece heavy perks you could get. Yasakani is obviously a must. If you get Elemental Dmg Reduction from all listed sources, it’s above 100% making you immune to all elemental dmg and the effects as well. Just standing there while Ishida Mitsunari shoots at you without any effect is pretty hilarious imo, though since a Yasakani with that affix might be hard to get, it can be ignored completely. The weight reduction is to get to B agility despite all the heavy amor, the higher the investment in Stamina the less reduction rolls are required. I think rolling reduction on chest and legs might be enough @99 stam.

Usami Nagamitsu is the only set Odachi, so we use this one for the additional Dmg reduction. The fixed skill also reduces attack dmg of enemies by a lot, though it’s chance to proc is lower than normal rolls you could get… lame.

Gozutenno's is also picked for a reason… Rage is one of the best available Dmg buffs and the 2 piece bonus increases it’s duration, great. And of course more Dmg Reduction.

Otherwise rolls are pretty standard imo.

Todo clan gives additional health for each stamina point and 10% additional CCD for the heavy amor pieces.

Picked Tengen as Guardian since imo it’s pretty easy with an Odachi to get multiple Tengen buffs at once, due to the mid combo stance switching and the High stance buff exceeds Kara-Jishi’s in damage. Tengen also increases the duration of elemental talismans, which we rely on.

Imo Genbu and Izuna are decent secondary spirits… Genbu gives more Onmyo power and thus helps with applying bluster. Izuna reduces Ki cost… except for the really rare 20% CC Ki Reduction, Ki reduction is pretty hard to get and the Odachi needs a lot, so even 8% is not bad.

Get as little body as you are comfortable with (Todo gives and additional boost for Stamina, so keep that in mind), though I’d put at least a few points into it, since you get a lot of Health for the first few points. Dexterity and Skill aren’t required either, but at least some points for the secondary effects won’t hurt. We need max Onmyo capacity, so we need at least 30 points, with 40 points it should be possible to apply bluster in 1, or 2 shots on non resistant enemies.

25 Spirit is required for all Tengen buffs, could get away with 22, since the senses are not required.

Strength is the primary Dmg stat, so dump as many points as you can. Even with weight reduction you need at least 38 points in Stamina to get B agility. Heart is also a damage stat so invest a few points as well. Probably smarter to raise Stamina over Heart, due to the Todo clan. Ki gains above 40 Heart are also fairly low.

When it comes to skill point allocation, obviously pick Odachi skills first, we also need Rage from the Axe tree. After that get as many passives as you can and dump the rest in Melee mastery, or whatever you want from other weapon for more flexibility.

You can pick whatever Ninjutsu you want, with 10 points in Dex you can have up to 20 capacity. I picked stuff like Tiger running, or Medicine Man, paralysis defense doesn't hurt either.

Readied Onymo spells are
  • Talisman Water: II and III
  • Talisman Wind: II and III
  • Wind Shot: I, II and III
  • Steel: I, II and III
  • Protection: I, II and III
  • Extraction: II and III
and that’s 40 points already :(
There should be a fair amount of points left, so pick other stuff that makes you tankier… like Yokai Dmg reduction.

The build doesn't really require an Odachi, though something that scales with Stamina is probably a good idea, since the build requires investment in this stat. The level requirement is fairly low as well (though it's still an NG+ build…), with CTA(Stamina) picking Stamina as the primary damage stat is an option as well (while reducing weight and increasing health at the same time!).You could also play a more offensive version with carnage and without protection and still be able to take a few hits. Secondary element can be switched as well, though I think Water is the most useful.

Preformed decently for me, while you still get the feeling you actually play the game… Blade Spin and Kunai builds are just too boring imo

I've never heard of the Killing Strike trait on your weapon. I take it that's a different translation to something else?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD