Character development *Future patch discussion*

Brute

Standard Donor
Too bad it's mid P, as most of Ryus good moves.
236P, 6P, 4P, 236P+K, 214P, 6KP, 1P+K, 3P, 33P, etc.
Honestly one of the hardest things adjusting to with Ryu was finding ways to get around people who just toss out mid P holds at random, because intuitively you want to use the hell out of those Mid Ps because, well, they're awesome.

He's got good high and mid K options, too. Honestly the only level I think he lacks in is low attacks. 4P2P and PP2K are garbage mid-string mix-ups compared to what a lot of the other fighters have, imo.

cip

Why you Not Join my Lobby in the Last Time?
I didn't see the invitation. :(
I have message popups disabled because they obscure the health bar.

He's got good high and mid K options, too. Honestly the only level I think he lacks in is low attacks. 4P2P and PP2K are garbage mid-string mix-ups compared to what a lot of the other fighters have, imo.
Yeah, 6K is a great move, as 4K and 8K can be, too.
As for lows, it's all very sad. Actually, 6K2K is quite nice, but doesn't guarantee anything. That low should be the one you get when doing 2F+K or whatever, or have 1K be a critical hit that guarantees something. As you said, other fighters have way better lows. I am always surprised when they start a combo versus me just because they landed a low at the beginning. Ryu can't do that by a long shot and that results in just having to block standing.

cip

Will do :)

Btw, I just figured out, that if your opponent is in stun, :1: :K::4: , gives :P: !
As does :2::K: give :6::P:. That's quite nice for mixup purposes.

MajesticBlue

2P will be good again since he has a 10 frame jab. Well, it was always good but still. My inner Tekken player sees 2P as way too good lol. While I wished he had a good low to open them up a little, he does have Izuna to keep em ducking and crushing. I can't wait to get me some 6K stun mixup.

GeMster

Set the CPU to react with medium or low kick and do this: 8KK (cpu on ground) > PP > H cancel > 6K
If you do it as fast as possible 6K will beat both height wake-up kicks. This setup only works against a CPU though, I tried it against myself and I when wake-up kick as fast as possible it beats the 6K clean. So dunno, the CPU must have some delay on that stuff OR it is faster.
Just wanted to say that 6K beats both wake-up kicks with the same timing. 8K is probably the best choice since you get a guaranteed CH combo that even forcetechs on medium weight chars: CH 8K > 8P > PP4PK.

I also tried out 9K, 7K, P+K (which gives unshakeable stun), 4H+K and they all work. But the timing is so hard that I don't see the point in risking going for that stuff. 6K beats low wake-up kicks really easy though, it must have more active frames in the air or something. Beating mid wake-up kicks is a nightmare, I hope we can find some good setups that work on a human opponent who likes to spam dem kicks.

MajesticBlue

I don't think beating wake up kicks is that big of a deal with Ryu. We have lots of Ongyoin stuff and even an OH. We could always just space them out and react to them. Is the 6K crushing lows or beating it out?

GeMster

The 6K is beating out the low kick clean resulting in a CH. And yeah you're probably right, but I still want to test all possibilities ;)

cip

Ryu's possibilites to react to people waking up are both plentiful and strong.

You can use 8T vs mid wakeup and no wakeup, 9K and 6K vs low wakeup and 6KP beats pretty much everything except for siderolling when waking up. But you have to be really precise with your timing. Unfortunately, the window for 8T and 6KP is especially short and I can certainly not do it on reaction (tested this quite a bit). You have to do this kinda guessing when they will wake up, which for me means that I whiff a lot. Whiffing with 8T isn't as dangerous as with 6KP though, since you usually just jump over them, away from danger. Oh and teleport attacks can work as well.

One little tip: If you are going for 8T vs wakeup, the distance is crucial, too. It's exactly the distance after a 6T, but sometimes being closer than that works, too. Haven't completely figured it out yet.

Brute

Standard Donor
Solving wake-up kicks with Ryu: 7P as soon as they hit the floor. If they do a wake-up kick, carefully time your P+K into the Shoho, and get a free 80-some points of damage. Keep doing that until they realize how stupid it is to spam wake-up kicks against Hayabusa.

cip

I can't pull off the Shoho as wake-up punish consistently :(

And 8T isn't really useful. 8KP has exactly the same timing window afaics, beats out lows as well and does more damage with the airthrow afterwards.

Brute

Standard Donor
I can't pull off the Shoho as wake-up punish consistently :(
Well, there's two ways you can do it: you can either try it as a whiff punish or as an intercept (keep in mind if your hit connects at the same time a WU kick does, your move will beat it out if it does more damage). You can see both styles below. It's probably just a matter of visualized the space/time properties. Note that it's far easier to do if they use a mid WU kick rather than a low.

Whiff Punish
You can see it twice, here. Once @ 0:08 and then again @ 0:45

Intercept
You can see it used to intercept the WU kick itself here @ 0:54

cip

Well, there's two ways you can do it: you can either try it as a whiff punish or as an intercept (keep in mind if your hit connects at the same time a WU kick does, your move will beat it out if it does more damage).
Cool, I didn't know that.

Whiff punishment is no problem, but for interception the timing is really strict, at least for me.

Brute

Standard Donor
Cool, I didn't know that.

Whiff punishment is no problem, but for interception the timing is really strict, at least for me.
Yeah, it's hard for me, too. I've wanted to practice that in sparring, but I can't find a reliable way to set the AI to use WU kicks for practice.

cip

Yeah, it's hard for me, too. I've wanted to practice that in sparring, but I can't find a reliable way to set the AI to use WU kicks for practice.
Have everything be the standard setting and then set reaction to mid or low kick.

cip

Two "fun" facts about the new advanced mid kick hold:
  • It is Hayabusa's only hold that can't be performed as a critical hold. If you input 46H in critical stun, Ryu will do the old mid kick hold instead.
  • It actually does less damage than the normal hold, because that one guarantees a 2P afterwards. Only if you manage to get a high counter hold will you do 2 more damage total.
Team Ninja should really make the hold like the Ongyoin T, with regards to damage and it being a combo hold.
P.S.: The normal holds for low and high punch also guarantee a 2P, if I see this correctly.

Jaguar360

• It is Hayabusa's only hold that can't be performed as a critical hold. If you input 46H in critical stun, Ryu will do the old mid kick hold instead.
  • It actually does less damage than the normal hold, because that one guarantees a 2P afterwards. Only if you manage to get a high counter hold will you do 2 more damage total.
Team Ninja should really make the hold like the Ongyoin T, with regards to damage and it being a combo hold.

P.S.: The normal holds for low and high punch also guarantee a 2P, if I see this correctly.
This is saddens me. :( At least it still looks cool though! :)

WINBACK

Lemme try to help you out, pal:

Doing a grounded 2P after Hayabusa's normal MK hold is NOT guaranteed.
Getting up backwards (hold Back & mash Guard) will avoid the 2P entirely.
But if they do anything else, like get up sideways or try a wake-up kick, they'll eat it. So yeah, if your opponent doesn't know to do that then go for it. Since DoA2 it's always been the best idea to get up backwards when getting up off the floor if your purpose was to avoid ground attacks & throws.

And you're right about the Advanced Mid-Kick Hold not working out of stun, I mentioned that on a DoA facebook group awhile ago and it pissed me off. Tina is the only other character who has this issue with her advanced holds (her Mid-Kick and High-Punch ones) but she's had this issue since the release.
On top of that, check this shit out. This is from the E3 build:
@ 1:01, you were able to do it out of stun.
Oh well!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD