Character Matchup Discussion

Tenren

Hayate is deff one of the more rounded characters in game. He not top tier but has something he can do against everyone. One of the main reason i picked him up over Jann Lee in 4 lol. To tell yah the truth FakeSypha I got good by playing random a lot. I did it the long way, but basically playing each character and learning what there weakness and strengths are, helps you when playing against thos charterers. Second is knowing your own game. Like you said by watching the replays. You picked up on some thing you were doing wrong. Leaning what you do and were to throw in mix-up helps keep you from being predictable.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
I've just gotten back into playing DOA4 after taking a long time off, and find I'm at a loss with Bass. Most match-ups tend to be hit or miss with me, er, no pun intended. Should I just give up and switch to Tina instead? Are their match-ups basically the same with the rest of the cast? And would it be too much to ask for his insane catch-grab from 4?

Jefffcore

Sure there is; just gotta have good yomi. More so for Bass because he's not very fast, but he does have pretty good setups. Tina doesn't have the best reach, but she's the fastest grappler and one of the safest characters.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
I try to capitalize on her quickness too, I just find I get so used to my set-ups and combos that I end up becoming too predictable. Jeff, your Leon last night was a strong indicator to me of everything I do wrong. I have to keep at it and hope for the best. I'm not one for tiers, I believe any character can beat another, there is no auto-lose option. I just feel I undermine my confidence in my play as soon as I see a ninja get selected or Gen Fu.

FakeSypha

I just feel I undermine my confidence in my play as soon as I see a ninja get selected or Gen Fu.

I know that feel, man.
Nah, kidding. I just suck.. so doesn't matter if the opponent choose Busa or any of the 'shit-tier' characters.

As Jeffcore said, Tina has a couple of cool safe moves, which is always a good thing to have. And is overall way faster than Bass, so I'd go with her.
I like play-style concept of grapplers, but I've read and heard so many times they're shit that I can't even be bothered with them. I mean, my main character is Christie, but branching to other characters (that I like) would be nice. I consider Lisa to be my second character, but feels kinda different for a grappler. I'm not sure if she is considered as one.

Derailing the graplers stuff a bit here, err, who else had lots of safe moves? Kororo? anyone else?

Jefffcore

Leon himself is an Asgardian.

In DOA everyone does almost have an equal shot at winning because you can just hold whenever you want. Characters do have easier times obviously. Good thing to keep in mind when you're playing is what moves work on specific characters. If I'm playing Hayabusa I know that his 4k stops any moves Hitomi has that don't crush high because she has a slow mid punch, and any mid will stop those. That doesn't work on most characters though.

Leon's only downfall is his speed, but he makes up for it in every other way. He's stupid safe, has good range, great damage and decent crushes. Bass doesn't have safe on his side, but he has some good crushes, nice throw set-ups (that I don't remember), and good damage. His jab is slow so you have to crush or hold other characters jabs. PK is a good poke string and his 2p has a follow up; 6throw and 4throw are good for giving pressure, and 66k destroys everything in it's way... similar to Spartans running punch (lotta active frames).

Don't know a whole lot about Tina.

Tenren

In DOA everyone does almost have an equal shot at winning because you can just hold whenever you want. Characters do have easier times obviously.

tiers in DOA are mostly built around this. Busa is top cuz of 4 things.
1)he can crush almost everything.
2) safe moves out the azz
3) damage out of holds are stupid ridiculous
4) mix up with range
Really Ive never been a fan of tiers. But i still wont call DOA balanced compared to VF. No matter how good you are and who you choose Busa still has a better chance of wining. Playing smart and punishing is about all you can do. This can raise your chances. While all the Busa player has to do is wait at range punish with massive damage then repeat.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Helena is in the same tier, mainly because she is able to crush more than Busa and put people into loops much easier than him. Busa can net more damage overall though and has better holds.

It's almost like Street Fighter 2: World Warrior: Guile was top, Dhalsim was only top because he was the only one who could beat Guile, and Chun Li was only top because she was the only one who could beat Dhalsim.

Xion

Im sad that no one has anything good to say about Kokoro. I think she's one of the best but then again, she is my personal favorite.

There's always someone who is very good or found some nice trick to abuse with each character so, I respect the player with any character he or she is using. I just dont like people who back away constantly and I will forever hate Zack, but thats a personal gripe.

Jefffcore

Busa is top tier for all those reasons, but it's still possible to beat him with any character. You'd say it's a bad match-up for Jann Lee right? But Jann Lee can stop his crushes with 6k and 4p, and then he's faster than Busa everywhere else. That means he has to watch out for Izuna's by using kicks. And I would never consider Helena better than Busa. He can stop all her crushes and highs with 2k and then all her mids with a handstance, or mid hold. She can create loops "easier" because she doesn't need to work for them the same, but Hayabusa's are better by far.

In the end it will all come down to guessing still.

Allan Paris

Im sad that no one has anything good to say about Kokoro. I think she's one of the best but then again, she is my personal favorite.
Kokoro is great she has: Punch grab strings, she is the safest character in the game, an actual SS move that is safe and guard breaks, and some other good shit I can't think of right now. But most of all, that Melon head of hers is fucking beautiful.

In the end it will all come down to guessing still.

This here makes everything you said before, pointless. Great information but, pointless.

..... Also, You obviously have not seen Busa get handled by Helena before, offline.

Jefffcore

Yes, yes you did. Those were all arguably bad match-ups for those characters, were they not? I was explaining how they could go the other way. Which all comes down to guessing in the end.

Master didn't do anything I mentioned in that match, and guessed wrong in every situation. First thing he did was 6p which wasn't really a good idea.

Allan Paris

Did I not say, "Great information?" You made great points, I can't argue them. But even in your rebuttal to me, "Which all comes down to guessing in the end." This makes those match-ups more or less, pointless. After Hitomi get hits with 4K and it doesn't launch; she can guess 6 ways to Sunday and deal more damage to Busa than he would for a juggle.

MASTER is one of the BEST players to play with Busa, better than you, is he not? That video clearly shows Busa will get his ass handed to him by Helena, when she is applied correctly. PL is not a Helena player FYI.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD