Cherry Blossoms and Warriors - Kokoro's top ten moves

shunwong

I've just started playing DOA5 (and Kokoro) and I'm a little lost.

Could you help me out with Kokoro's top ten moves/strings?

So far I like her 66P (elbow)

NightAntilli

Yeah her 66P is one of her best moves.

:9::P: is great for stunning
:1::P: is great to use on slippery surfaces (in water/ on ice) and so is (:P:):2::K:.
:P::K: is great because you can follow-up with all heights, though they're not exactly safe.
You should get used to her stance because her follow-ups are great and allow for great mixups. Basically any move that can get you into that stance is good.
:214::P: leaves you at neutral and has great range
Her :214::H+P: (grab) is a must to master. :P::P::H+P: and :236::H+P: as well because it makes it very easy to burst.

Hope this helps.

shunwong

Thanks a lot for your input!

Right now I'm a little lost when it comes to defense (have no clue when to block or hold or what to do when I'm stunned or after being knocked down, no clue when to grab punish, etc.) so I'd really like to know about:

- Moves with evasive properties

- Moves that sabaki/reversal (not holds)

NightAntilli

Moves with evasive properties.. Hm.. From the top of my head.

:3::3::P: can evade some highs
:2::H+K: evades some mids (and obviously highs since it's a ducking move)
:7::P: (her bursting move) evades a lot of stuff. It was a Sabaki in DOA4 but I haven't tested if it's a Sabaki in DOA5.
:P+K: can evade some highs but is very hard to time correctly so don't rely on it
The punch and grab after :3::P: can evade high punches and kicks but it's risky to use
:1::P+K: steps back so it can be useful if you know how to use it.
:9::K: evades lows

I guess that's it. Haven't dug that deep into her yet in DOA5 so I might've missed a few things, but, Kokoro's strength does not come from evasiveness or sabakis. It comes from mixups and maintaining a good offense and knowing when to block and so on. I consider her a beginner character because she is pretty straightforward without too many advanced moves.

You'll get better with time. When stunned try slow escaping and predicting what your opponent is going to do. When being knocked down try to get up immediately by pressing any button (I prefer :h:) to get up instantly, and if you can't (some moves don't allow that), you can roll to the side or try to do a wakeup kick. Depends on the situation really.. Just make sure that if you do a wakeup kick your opponent is within range, otherwise they can punish you big. And it's not without risk either since they can hold it.
When to grab is basically when you expect someone to hold your attack. So you can for example have a perfect setup for a critical burst and your opponent has stopped your burst before, instead of doing the burst do a grab for great damage. Being able to grab mid string is a very useful tool that you should learn to use too. A lot of people will stand there blocking, especially when you keep a good offense.

shunwong

When being knocked down try to get up immediately by pressing any button (I prefer H) to get up instantly, and if you can't (some moves don't allow that), you can roll to the side or try to do a wakeup kick. Depends on the situation really.. Just make sure that if you do a wakeup kick your opponent is within range, otherwise they can punish you big. And it's not without risk either since they can hold it.

Thanks a lot for the info.

And good idea about using H for quick recovery. I was using attack buttons for that and what I often got was: I quick recovered + threw out a random attack that got me into a bad situation. I've started story mode because its tutorials have info that I need to know (I didn't even know how to quick recover, that's why I just pushed all kinds of buttons)

TakedaZX

I'm [almost] suprised :1::P::P::P: didn't make it into anyone's list. It's Low High Low... though it is slow, and after awhile predictable... but still sexy...

NightAntilli

I listed :1::P: in my first reply. I didn't mention the followups because the second punch is easily crushed. That move can be great but it's not really that useful on higher level of play, except on slippery surfaces, and even then, I'd refrain from using the last punch, even though you can mix it up between mid or low, might as well go for 7K instead while the opponent is trying to figure out which punch you'll be doing.

Alexqd3

:236::+: :F+P: Into Heichu Transitions Master this, as she can burst extremely fast after.
:P:, :K: Variants
:2::P:
:6::6: :P:
:214: :P: One of the best whiff punishers in the game, and +0 on block
:4::6::P: great reach, stuns, great combo ender in certain situations (:4::6::P::P:)
:1::K::K: Mixups
:1::P: Great to get it and great to continue a stun
:P::P::6::P:/Throw variants
:2::+::H+K: Into Heichu
:3::3::+::P: (This move is too good especially from sidestep, nice deep stun with great range)
:3::+::K: Variants
:7::+::P:
Three Part Grab (A Given)

Worthy Mention :6::6::+::P+K::~: Heichu (Hidden Move)

Mavis

I'm [almost] suprised :1::P::P::P: didn't make it into anyone's list. It's Low High Low... though it is slow, and after awhile predictable... but still sexy...
I use that most of the time to get a combo going but tend to mix it up abit with :1::K::K::K: when the opponent starts countering. It's got me alot of wins (in simple rank matches) anyway.

TakedaZX

I use that most of the time to get a combo going but tend to mix it up abit with with :1::K::K::K: when the opponent starts countering. It's got me alot of wins (in simple rank matches) anyway.
Bitch quoting my post this early in the morning.

Jk jk. Yea I love that string too, especially the :1::K::K::4::K: variant. Looks real sexy.

Back on :1::P: strings though, I didn't know you could end it with a mid also, I especially don't understand why it's not on anyones list now!

I listed 1P in my first reply.

Sorry man completely missed that, apparently others did also.

Mavis

Bitch quoting my post this early in the morning.

Jk jk. Yea I love that string too, especially the :1::K::K::4::K: variant. Looks real sexy.
Lol, you didn't have to respond to it, but thank you for making the effort of getting out of bed to do so :rolleyes: . Oh and yeah, i use :1::K::K::4::K: usually on the end of my :1::P::P::P: it works for me too. I also like starting with that as well.

Okay this is my top 5 moves that seem to be working for me at the moment.

1. :1::P::P::P::1::K::K:
2. :1::K::K::K:
3.:4::6::P::P:
4. :6::6::P:
5.:3::3: :+::P:

I tend not to bother with holds at the moment as my timing borders on pathetic and desperate when my character is cornered.

I'm still fresh to this game and Kokoro at the moment though and will be looking to explore her command list further, but I am loving her right now. So far these moves are really working for me but as someone said, they will become too predictable which is why i need to stop relying on these all the time, because eventually players will see through it easily. Need to learn some new moves and mix things up abit.

Do any of you Kokoro players have some more recommended moves to suggest to Kokoro newcomers that aren't already listed and have worked for you?

I won't ask Takeda as he seems tired and fed up of bitches quoting him. ;)

TakedaZX

Lol, you didn't have to respond to it, but thank you for making the effort of getting out of bed to do so :rolleyes: . Oh and yeah, i use :1::K::K::4::K: usually on the end of my :1::P::P::P: it works for me too. I also like starting with that as well.

Okay this is my top 5 moves that seem to be working for me at the moment.

1. :1::P::P::P::1::K::K:
2. :1::K::K::K:
3.:4::6::P::P:
4. :6::6::P:
5.:3::3: :+::P:

I tend not to bother with holds at the moment as my timing borders on pathetic and desperate when my character is cornered.

I'm still fresh to this game and Kokoro at the moment though and will be looking to explore her command list further, but I am loving her right now. So far these moves are really working for me but as someone said, they will become too predictable which is why i need to stop relying on these all the time, because eventually players will see through it easily. Need to learn some new moves and mix things up abit.

Do any of you Kokoro players have some more recommended moves to suggest to Kokoro newcomers that aren't already listed and have worked for you?

I won't ask Takeda as he seems tired and fed up of bitches quoting him. ;)
Yea you better recognize. >:)

anywho i'll post on this later. I gotta go to a shelter... aka my job cause of this hurricane.

phoenix1985gr

Is the 1kkk a counter hit combo? I dont play much as kokoro but as an opponent i block the second and third kick, but im not sure if this is the situation only on normal or on counter too

Konton

You should generally avoid 1p strings because the second punch is holdable on reaction by and you're just lookin' to get crushed or countered. 1k string is better because of the speed, but I only really use it at range. For mix-ups I think her jab strings and 3k strings are way better options. 1p is just an online gimmick - unless you're on a slippery surface, in which case: spam it!

FatalxInnocence

I'm probably not the best Kokoro to take note from but these are my favourite Kokoro moves.

:3: :K: ~ has high, mid, low follow ups to keep people guessing.

:6::6: :P: ~ Fast mid that stuns

:1: :P: ~ It's all about the range for me, and this travels a fair distance.

:6: :K: :P: ~ I like the range on it, she moves forward pretty fast too.

:2: :K: :H+P: :P+K: ~ The move that is probably one of the most hated when it comes to my friends list. This move gives you a guaranteed p+k putting the opponent on the red critical stun, due to Kokoro's launcher variety- whether you choose to critical burst or not launching is easy as pie with Kokoro. 7K being the mid kick launcher, 4p+k being the high launcher... not to mention her 7P critical burst which is a mid puch... chances of you being countered are kind of small lol and even then, could always go for her 3 part throw. I think it's great. Most people tend to go for the mid punch counter because of critical burst.... but yeah! a lot of variety afterwards if it lands.

:3: :P: ~ I'm not sure whether this move crushes or not but I seem to beat a lot of people's strikes with it so I like it.

:6: :P: :P: :P: ~ Probably not a great move but the last punch is fun to delay or not do at all. Not to mention if it hits it stuns so chances are people will either block to punish her ( I'm pretty sure it is throw punishable... correct me if I'm wrong ) so chances are people wont try to attack you allowing you to cancel the last P and continue pressuring.

Last but not least~

:2: :H+K: :P: / :K: / :P+K: ~ Pretty sure this move is in every Kokoro players move variety, though it's pretty useless on standard hit, that's why you stance cancel it for something else... but not in a predictable manner.

~

Anyway yeah those are my favourite Kokoro moves. But like I said, I'm probably not the best Kokoro player to listen to- actually I'm probably one of the worst hahaha xD

NightAntilli

Sorry man completely missed that, apparently others did also.
Yeah that's partially my fault too since I just posted everything as text. I updated my posts to include the visual buttons instead of just numbers and letters.

As for favorite moves, lots of people already mentioned them, but one that is barely ever mentioned is :8::P:. This move is amazing, and superior to :4::6::P:. That was already the case in DOA4 but no one noticed it, and now in DOA5 it's way better because you have so many options from it.

:8::P: is actually faster than :4::6::P:. The animation simply lets the latter appear faster, but it's one frame slower than :8::P:. Aside from that, both the first and second hit of :4::6::P::P: are unsafe and there's no real mix up going on there. In the case of the follow ups for :8::P: however, they're all at least semi safe and you have a mixup. Let me list a comparison.

:4::6::P: -13 on block
:4::6::P::P: -11 on block
:8::P: -6 on block
:8::P::P: -6 on block
:8::P::6::P: +0 on block

There's no real reason to go for :4::6::P: unless you're sure that it will land, and will land as a counter hit so you get a direct launcher. :8::P: is safer, has a high follow-up that launches directly or a mid follow-up that causes a sitdown stun for a guaranteed burst setup, or you can go into her heichu stance from it instead...

Also.. Her BT :P+K: crushes so many things, it's not even funny. It is predictable though, but, she has quite a few options from BT to mix up.. But I guess her BT shenanigans might be a bit too complicated when you're just starting out. If you guys want I'll post more about it.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
My Top 10

:P::K:( Good string set up, and for counter hitting)

:6::K: (Easily one of her best moves)

:9::P: (Stuns on normal hit, and best used in juggles, throw set up, and other strings)

:6::P: (another move good when frame trapping, and interrupting)

:8::P: (stuns on normal hit, leads into critical burst/throw set up,or quick combo and goes into heichu)

:4::P: (Safe on forth P, can go into low/throw mix up, good for frame trapping)

:1::K: (unexpected low good on CH, and goes into other mix ups/throws, etc)

:3::P: (I love this move too. Can go into a throw(best on block), can head into heichu, or a simple juggle)

:2::H+K: (Everyone remembers this crush from DOA4. With different mix up and now with heichu added makes it moer deadly)

:6::6::P: (one of her best interrupters. It's fast, and usually unexpected and opens for good mix up)

Kokoro got much more effective move than just 10.

Roroko

I'm probably not the best Kokoro to take note from but these are my favourite Kokoro moves.

:2: :K: :H+P: :P+K:

I usually add a :P: or :4::P: (depending on range) first to make the string come out faster.

Does anyone else like using :1::P+K: at the start of the round or bait wake up kicks?

The :3::P: and :1::P: into throw is quite tricky. If it's a CH you knock them a bit too far back or it throws your timing off. Can they be punch interrupted and hi-countered like :P::P::H+P:?

And finally, some Kokoro discussion!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD