Christie Youtube Character Breakdown videos?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Alright the Christie stream will take place on August 2nd, 2015 @ 8PM EST as to not coincide with the Dead or Alive Festival happening in Japan.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Save this for this weekend: http://www.twitch.tv/force_of_nature

I'll update it during the week.

@Goarmagon If you have any suggestions, feel free to share!
I would just say not to neglect the jak transitions from 6k and 3k...especially 3k seeing that it's a solid poke that you can jak transition safely from a distance. If they figure it out you have a pp string that causes heavy stun to mix it up a bit.

Also 6k>jak is a bit of a high risk high reward mixup tool that you could work into free canceled p blockstings. It's kinda dangerous against someone who knows her bullshit well but even for some characters who do know it it's still a pain to properly punish.

As Awesmic pointed out 9p is safe on block but 7p/ss p may as well be safe for how hard it is for you to hit her with some characters. It's a free stepping attack which means some moves that track won't hit her sometimes.

P+K is a high that does a feint stun that you can use in level 2 threshold that is unholy able that you can juggle with 4k. It's also one of her most useful high punch moves that people usually try to hold mid. If you go to level 3 threshold tho you may have trouble juggling afterwards.

All in all I think you got this man...make us all proud :)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I would just say not to neglect the jak transitions from 6k and 3k...especially 3k seeing that it's a solid poke that you can jak transition safely from a distance. If they figure it out you have a pp string that causes heavy stun to mix it up a bit.

Also 6k>jak is a bit of a high risk high reward mixup tool that you could work into free canceled p blockstings. It's kinda dangerous against someone who knows her bullshit well but even for some characters who do know it it's still a pain to properly punish.

As Awesmic pointed out 9p is safe on block but 7p/ss p may as well be safe for how hard it is for you to hit her with some characters. It's a free stepping attack which means some moves that track won't hit her sometimes.

P+K is a high that does a feint stun that you can use in level 2 threshold that is unholy able that you can juggle with 4k. It's also one of her most useful high punch moves that people usually try to hold mid. If you go to level 3 threshold tho you may have trouble juggling afterwards.

All in all I think you got this man...make us all proud :)

I will touch on all those. I'm going to be focusing on fundamental play more than "RAWR COMBOZZZ!"

And thanks again for the support ;)! I'll see you guys there! Hopefully the DOA Festival doesn't burn everyone out =P!

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Here's a brief summary of my Christie stream.

Overview for Christie Tutorial Breakdown

General Overview

- Christie is a rushdown character that excels at CQC and evasion, courtesy of her strike speed, powerful long manipulative strings, and her infamous hi-crushing command sidestep Jakeiho. She is under the Middleweight weight class making her the only character within this class to possess an i9 jab. The fastest jab in DOA5LR.

- She has very fast poking speed in close at i9/i11/i14 along with an i13 high kick, i12, i13 & i14 mid kicks and i15 & i16 low kicks.

- Christie is very well-rounded overall and succeeds in a lot of categories, however her throws and holds are among some of the weakest in the game. What this translates to is considerably weaker punishment than other characters, especially on block.

- She possesses one of the stronger guard break games in DOA5LR with numerous GB's that are all plus on block ranging from as little as +2 to as much as +15, allowing for guaranteed follow-ups. Working them into your gameplan is highly recommended.

- Christie's string manipulation game is outstanding and truly intimidating. Majority of her strings are delayable, can branch off on as much as all hit-levels, and can contain as many as 5 hits. Her 5P strings are most recommended for best utilization of string delay & manipulation.

- Her low game isn't particularly strong with none of her neutral lows stunning or being positive on NH. Her lows that are positive on hit or stun, all are a part of a string such as 4P2K, 2H+KP or JAK~1K2K for example. However, her lows are great on CH with something like 1PK hi-crushing then leading into a CH launch. To compensate for this, you'll have to work in Christie's throws, which aren't particularly powerful either. 2H+K will be your go to low poke, along with 2P, 1P and JAK~1K.

- Christie's Crush game is excellent with a strong repertoire of potent low & hi-crushes including a command sidestep that can hi-crush, a couple quick kick attacks with outstanding low crush properties and even a rolling stance that can crush horizontal mids. 1PK & 2H+KP will be your go to hi-crushes, and 7K & 9KK will be your go to low crushes (don't just chuck them out however...)

- Christie can be very devastating with her opponent backed against a wall. A general strategy you can go by in most matches is to focus on rushing an opponent down with the intent of backing them into a corner where they'll both have to deal with Christie and the wall that they are backed up against. Her walled 66T will be become instrumental to her wall pressure.

- Her okizeme game is quite decent with ways to reset an opponent on wake-up via ground hits, forced techs and reset throws. 2H+KP will generally be your go to forced tech move. Her oki becomes even more deadly when the opponent is backed into the corner because they'll then have to deal with her brutal walled 66T reset throw, that disables the Wake-Up Kick option. JAK~1K such as PPPP~JAK~1K/3PP~JAK~1K can also be used to forced tech an opponent off the ground (though they're technically just ground hits).

- Her defense is fairly decent thanks to powerful evasion from her stances such as JAK. Though her holds generally do subpar damage, with the exception of her Low P hold, which sets up juggle combos and can even ceiling hit for truly devastating combo set-ups. Her throw punishment is very weak unfortunately, meaning that you can afford to take slightly greater risks against her that you wouldn't take against, say a grappler character that possesses powerful throws from about i6 onwards.

- Christie's attack range is pretty good for what is essentially a rushdown character. Only characters with very potent keepout will be able to attempt to keep her out, though she doesn't really have any trouble getting in on anyone really. Doesn't mean that you can recklessly run in on a competent opponent, but it also doesn't mean that you have to spend almost entire rounds trying to find ways to get in and stay in. She can fight quite comfortably from both close range and mid-range. At long range her options become a little more limited and a little creativity with her stances will likely come into play.

- Christie's stun game is great. Her strike speed coupled with the strength of her stuns makes her very difficult to SE out of, meaning that you're going to have to hold correctly against her more often than other characters. What makes her stun game even more terrifying is that she's one of the few characters that can "launch" an opponent from all 4 hit levels! That's right, she can launch opponents off of lows too with CH 1PK & threshold 2PP. This means that the opponent constantly needs to guess between 4 different strike levels at all times, on top of potential 4T throw resets or powerful hi-counter 66T's or 63214T's. CH 4K & CH 3P will be your go to lift stuns during critical stun.

- Overall, her throw game is on the weak side with her only threatening throw in open space being her i10 reset throw 4T. During stun you'll want to avoid getting hi-counter thrown by 63214T or 66T, though neither throw does a terrifying amount of damage even on hi-counter. At a wall, Christie's throw game becomes a bit more intimidating with the walled 66T reset throw coming into play, which causes the slump down status that disables WUK's leaving you at considerable advantage.

- Her hold game is quite weak also. Not the weakest in the game, but still not exactly threatening to the opponent. That is with the exception of her Low P hold, that can lead to fairly strong juggles, especially if environmental threats are nearby. Under a ceiling, the Low P Hold becomes a big threat compared to her other holds with numerous 100+ dmg setups on NH including a free PB or PL. Her powerful Low P hold is to make up for her weak low game, in the sense to discourage characters with faster lows such as i12 or i13 2P's from constantly low-jabbing her.

- Christie's movement is really good, with numerous applications for her stances including JAK, JAK-backdashes and forward rolls. Her Korean Backdash is pretty decent too, inputted by 214214 repeatedly. It works well to hover around mid-range when you're attempting to engage an opponent waiting for an opportunity to pounce with a powerful CH stun. Though if your opponent's keepout and defense sucks, you can just run in on them and pressure them to your heart's content! You may need to try different approaches if your opponent has either strong defense or weak defense. If they have strong defense you'll have to be more careful in how you try to pressure opponents, along with being a bit more patient. If they have weak defense, you can focus almost entirely on getting on the offensive and staying on the offensive. However take heed that opponents with weak defense may be able to compensate for that with stronger than average offensive skills. In this case, you want to try and pounce on them as quickly and swiftly as possible before they can get their own offense started.

- Christie's safety is a bit of a mixed bag. On paper, she's quite unsafe after majority of her strings, and even mid-string, however, you're only going to throw punish her if she actually finishes an unsafe string. As an interesting tidbit, any of her strings that end in the rapid-fire "machine-gun fists" are safe on block at -5. These things also have 2 variables with the ability to charge them for a +2 GB or to cancel them out into the JAK stance. In other words, it's generally a good idea to make use of the strings that end in the machine-gun fists. Though you shouldn't necessarily finish the string each time without adequate string manipulation and delay. Christie's very good at making people hesitant to punish her due to her very potent delays and string mix-ups. The most common attacks to get throw punished are usually lows such as 2H+KP or JAK~1K2K.

- Her tracking is excellent with various tracking moves on all hit levels including an i14 tracking mid k and an i15 hi-crushing tracking mid P that launches on CH. Her arguably best hi-crushing move 1P/1PK is an instant hi-crush that has a follow-up that launches on CH. Great against people that predictably toss out highs or strings containing highs. Her numerous lengthy strings also have great "retracking", making it difficult for an opponent to sidestep Christie at all, forcing the opponent to have to deal with her string mix-ups.

How to Go About Training Christie in a General Sense

- The recommended thing to do when you first are learning Christie is to familiarize yourself with her moveset via the Command Training. Christie has a lot of strings and stance transitions to take note of. You may have to go over Command Training a few times to get a good grasp on her moveset compared to some other characters. The stance transitions and charges will be the most notable things to pay attention to.

- After you're good with Command Training, it is recommended to turn on the Move Details then, acquaint yourself with Christie's 5P and 6P strings. 5P has numerous follow-ups and branching points allowing you to hit all 3 heights, along with having a JAK transition. 6P doesn't have the string variation of 5P and thus requires you to work her string delays more. The 6P string only contains mid P's up to 6PPPP, but also have a JAK transition off of 6PP~. On block you'll need to be careful in how you pressure an opponent with string delays and free cancels, and will have to be careful with how you 6PP~JAK to someone's block because the JAK transition can be easily intercepted if used outside of stun on someone's block.

- Once you're acquainted with 5P & 6P's move properties, it is recommended to acquaint yourself with all of Christie's JAK transitions, particularly the ones that are induced by 2P+K & 8P+K such as 6PP~2P+K.

-> These can include: 5PPPP, 5PKK, 5KK, 6PP, 6K, 3PP, & 3K

- What's recommended is to acquaint yourself with each transition and the various JAK options

-> These options include: JAK~PP (Mid P x2), JAK~PKP (Mid P, High K, Mid P), JAK~PK2P (Mid P, High K, Low P) JAK~6PP (Mid P x2), JAK~6P+K (Mid P), JAK~4P (Mid P), JAK~P+K (High P) JAK~K (Mid K), JAK~H+K (High K), JAK~1K2K (Low K x2), JAK~1K6K (Low K, Mid K) & JAK~1KK (Low K, High K)

- From JAK, you can also press 44 to perform a "JAK backdash", which then further's Christie's JAK mix-up options.

-> These include JAK~44P (Mid P, GB), JAK~44K (Low K), JAK~44T (Powerful +21 reset throw), and JAK~443 to enter Christie's rolling stance, which comes with its own set of options

-> Rolling~T (Powerful +21 reset throw), Rolling~K (Christie's highest launcher), Rolling~PP (Mid P x2) and Rolling~P+K (A very useful +10 GB)

- Along with the JAK transition performed with 2P+K/8P+K, there are also "JAK cancels" that can be performed by holding the last "P" in a specific string then pressing 2 or 8 to "cancel" out of the charge.

-> These include: 3PPP, 4PPP, 6PPP & BT2PPPP

- These JAK cancels gain access to all of JAK's options including the backdashes but are considerably trickier to utilize and take time to get used to. In the case of the 3PP/3PPP JAK transition, I recommend 3PP~2P+K/8P+K over 3PP(P)2/8 due to greater consistency.

- After familiarizing yourself with Christie's JAK transitions, it is recommended to get acquainted with Christie's throw game. Her throws don't do much damage but they each serve their purposes:

-> i5 T is her neutral throw (40 dmg, breakable)
-> i7 6T is her punish throw (45 dmg, has a wall version when Christie has back to the wall)
->i10 4T is her reset throw (25 dmg, +4 advantage + opponent BT'ed)
-> i10 66T is her medium damage throw (52 dmg, changes sides, becomes a devastating 62 dmg reset throw at a wall)
-> i12 63214T is her hold punish throw (58 dmg, 87 dmg on HCT)
-> i37 Rolling~T is her stance reset throw (35 dmg, grants +21 frame advantage SDS)

- The i5 & i7 throws will have standard "punishment" purposes for the appropriate negative frames on block, with 4T being your go to throw when you get an opportunity such as having an opponent locked up on the defensive. 4T grants you +4 advantage plus BT'ed status on your opponent. +4 may not seem like much but with Christie's CQC strike speeds, the opponent won't be able to attack out of turn unless they read a follow-up throw attempt or a slow follow-up attack like a 4P+K GB. 63214T will be the throw to punish holds with though 66T does decent damage on Hi-counter too. At a wall, 66T will be your go to throw thanks to its solid 62 dmg, plus the slump down status it puts the opponent in disabling their WUK and leaving you at considerable advantage to press for more damage or to reset the opponent again! With their back to wall, majority of your options will become extra dangerous thanks to the large threat of wall splat damage.

- Rolling~T is another potent throw from Christie. It comes out of her rolling stance, which has the ability to crush horizontal mids, deals 35 dmg and grants you +21 Sit-down stun. This SDS becomes particularly deadly in corners or at the wall, where the opponent won't be pushed very far away allowing for many more follow-ups including launchers and strong wall splat moves including 7K. Since it is an SDS, high follow-ups won't connect during the stun.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD