Community Discussion for Tournament Rules

Should The Ends of the Earth stage be banned? 2/3 or 3/5 matches?

• Total voters

CrimsonCJ

I'm not really sure on the Ends of the Earth stage, and thus lean towards not banning in practice. Yeah, it essentially rebalances the entire game. It also is a bad visual outside the special effects. But the effects are consistent, the way it affects characters, while not equal, is rather impartial, and it is an extension of the logic regarding the environment the game already has.

Kinda also on the side of caution regarding the 3/5. However, I wouldn't mind some of the larger, opening brackets go to 2/3. Prefer to get more towards T8 and up for majors, however.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Ends of the earth is pretty as hell, really. I love infinite stages too.... just a damn shame it screws with the gameplay so much. It pains me to vote it down, but there is no denying that it really does just screw with everything too much.

phoenix1985gr

Ends of the earth is pretty as hell, really. I love infinite stages too.... just a damn shame it screws with the gameplay so much. It pains me to vote it down, but there is no denying that it really does just screw with everything too much.

If the majority ends up (which probably will be) to be banned couldnt we insted tweet or suggest in some way they patch it so it just stops causing this stun? Its a shame really its one of the most pretty levels its one of the few endless ones... Just a suggestion...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well you can certainly tweet anything you like, but until something is done on team ninjas end (which is possible but unlikely) rules will be enforced.

Jefffcore

This:
That stage is beyond annoying to fight on. The game has nothing but super fast lows and most aren't good until we're on that stage. So now we're all spamming lows to start a mix up? That stage needs to go asap lmao

And this:
My reasoning for 3/5 is two things.

Good yomi is a required skill to excel in this game in my opinion and 3/5 allows you to better work this in. At 2/3 its much easier to potentially play off of a "script" if its working without letting your opponent have enough time to adjust their game. 3/5 allows so much more time to mold your yomi game in match and really get into the mental chess game of DOA.

The second thing is that the longer the sets go the less chance there is of the randomness of DOA swaying the outcome of a match.
More or less

phoenix1985gr

Well you can certainly tweet anything you like, but until something is done on team ninjas end (which is possible but unlikely) rules will be enforced.

Well this is my answer actually... Because i meant if you (the guys who ve been part of the community long enough) this its possible or not... And i also meant if you thought it was a good idea or not

Tones

Premium Donor
The water stun removes the effectiveness of Brad Wong's best attack , 2k+f. 2k+f is the only thing Brad Wong has going for him.

Best 2/3 is too short to make matches conclusive. Imagine you verse an alpha in the finals, you loose the first 2 rounds of the game, make your way back up but ultimately loose that game. Second game you kick their ass pretty hard. They then choose their main, which you loose to in a close last game.

I hope to god smallest health doesn't make it's way into tournament standards. It's impossible to play according to health advantage if one mistake will cost you 30-60% of your health. Another thing that will kill Brad Wong.

Jefffcore

That's like saying I road my motorcycle without a helmet in the past and I was ok, it should be ok now. lol

It's a single level that you get on random (emphasis on the random) that changes the way the game plays for the worst.

DR2K

Maybe someone here can get Team Ninja the turn the slippery floor into an optional dangerzone? I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
With all the new mechanics and mix-ups in this game, it's hard to compare it to the snow stage in DOA2. That game was straight forward and more simple than what we have now. And let's not forget the stun system was different.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Even though my character benefits from water levels we have to be serious here for a second. Ends of the Earth makes the game hella random.

TRI Mike

Do you think it's possible for TN to change the floor properties in the stage¿ That could probably be added in the patch.

NukNuks

I'm a little confused on the 2/3, 3/5 thing so here is my definition of a match.

1 match/set=winning 3 rounds

In a tournament we usually have to win 2 matches/sets (total of 6 rounds won) to advance to the next part of the tournament bracket. In loser's and winner's finals we have to win 3 matches/sets (total of 9 rounds won) to advance to grand finals. In my opinion, this is perfect for DOA.

I'm hoping that we're not arguing that we have to win 2 rounds to equal 1 match. Not cool, no bueno, and is BS in my opinion. That is some street fighter 2D shit and we are playing DOA folks. Tekken doesn't even do that in their tourney matches.

Keylay

I'm a little confused on the 2/3, 3/5 thing so here is my definition of a match.

1 match/set=winning 3 rounds

In a tournament we usually have to win 2 matches/sets (total of 6 rounds won) to advance to the next part of the tournament bracket. In loser's and winner's finals we have to win 3 matches/sets (total of 9 rounds won) to advance to grand finals. In my opinion, this is perfect for DOA.

I'm hoping that we're not arguing that we have to win 2 rounds to equal 1 match. Not cool, no bueno, and is BS in my opinion. That is some street fighter 2D shit and we are playing DOA folks. Tekken doesn't even do that in their tourney matches.

2/3 = winning 6 rounds.
3/5 = winning 9 rounds

DrDogg

Question: If EotE was to be banned, why not ban Sanctuary as well?

The stage is more water than land, and as mentioned, you can get reset after each round. I've worked my way out of the water many times, only to be reset back in the water with my opponent between me and the land. That's not a fun position to be in.

I'm not saying I'm for or against the ban, but if you're going to ban one, why leave the other?

Discuss...

Lastly, IPL I believe will be using the 2/3 format (3/5 on finals).

Official rules for DOA5 have yet to be set. I am watching this thread though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD