Controller or Fightstick

TenshiFrost

Ive been playing Doa on and off for about a year now, and ive pretty much become familiar with my gamestop controllers D-pad, the only problem is i still cant seem to get precise inputs especially under pressure. However when i try to play with my fightstick i feel like its my first time touching an xbox with how terrible I am with it. Is a switch from controller worth it? Or is it just something that gets improved with a deadly amount of hours practice haha?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Just like anything else in life, you have to adapt. Make sure you have a stick worth adapting to. Some people adapt to sticks very well, and for some people it takes time. Either way I think a stick is a worthy piece to adapt to if you're a precision king.

With a controller, you are going to fuck up a lot more, and that's just a fact of life.

Pictured Mind

Controller. You know what they said about the d-pad on the xbox? It's all bullshit. The d-pad is great.

If you want to change, go ahead.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
If you have problems with certain inputs with a controller, then you might as well try stick. It'll take a month to get used to, though, so have fun being garbage for a while.

EDIT: Honestly, one of the biggest advantages to stick is that your form will stay for different systems. The vast majority of sticks you're gonna find being used today have pretty much the same parts. You can switch between sticks easily. If you want to play DOA2 on Dreamcast? Don't have to get used to a new controller. Just borrow a Cthulhu PCB stick.

Last edited:

TenshiFrost

Yeah I used my stick originally to play tekken better but i never knew how to transition it to doa without being garbage

Drake Aldan

Try out playing with a stick for a while. Indeed, you will lose quite a bit no matter your skill level- but give it some time. A month or three should be good.

I tried stick before... eventually I realized it just wasn't for me. Maybe it was the way I was sitting, or that a stock TE isn't built for my specific playstyle, but it never felt comfortable. There is actually an inherent slowness in sticks due to the physical distance from neutral to throw (which is blazing lightning on pad). Some people will say that you are not supposed to "ride to the gate", instead gently brushing the switches- but, I just can't play that way. I need hard feedback.

Switching to a tighter Seimitsu did result in a speed increase, but it still never felt easy to use.

Anyway, you may be different. It's all about being comfortable; you may have to just go hunting for another pad, or just stick it out with stick (no pun intended).

Stick does have big advantages when it comes to button layout/quality, dual mods (why is there not a plug-and-play PS360 pad on the market?), and the ability to naturally sit down and play in Japanese arcades (if you find yourself there).

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
As far as precision, sticks are you best choice... people just don't like the adjustment period... and since DOA has been arcade game for a short period of its life, most players are completely used to their controllers.

TenshiFrost

lol so I ended up using controllers analog stick cause all the other options were making me wanna quit life

David Gregg

Controller. You know what they said about the d-pad on the xbox? It's all bullshit. The d-pad is great.

If you played a character that required you to pull off moves like 663, 33, and 46 frequently and consistently during fights you may not think the xbox dpad is so great.

TenshiFrost

Only reason i wonder about that though is the fact that i saw a tournament won with a plain 360dpad, like not even modded version haha, like what kinda magic is that??

David Gregg

The hell kind of move is that?

Eliot's i3P (his :3_:P but the instant version). I can do it most of the time but every now and then I accidentally do 662P or 633P. Some people can do it 623P but I find that even more difficult to do consistently.

TenshiFrost

My ps3 controller is actually not that bad, its my 360 which is giving me hell but i only have a fightstick for 360 and not both, and im not about to buy another 200$ one haha

Yaguar

I just use a PS3 pad because I'm cheap and I can everything consistently with it.
Some games I'd want a stick for but for DOA where the most advanced thing you'll do is perhaps a single quater or half circle I can't see the point investing (WARNING: THIS IS AN OPINION).

Akumasama

It's not bullshit, but it's not such a big deal as someone wants to make it look like.

Personally I think it's just a matter of habit. When you've been used to the same kind of dpad for the past 15 years it's pretty likely you're going to feel more comfortable with that instead of others, no matter if these others are better or worse.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD