• Qanba crystal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hitbox

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Hori tekken stick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

T..J. Bernard

I am making the adjustment from d-pad to a fightstick for some time being. I'm looking to either the qanba crystal or the hori tekken stick. That's a separate question but anyways. Back to what I'm asking: From anyone's experiences, what are the pro's & con's to a regular controller, a fightstick, & a hitbox? So far from my experience with a regular controller and kiddie experience with arcade sticks playing tekken tag I feel although D-pad's better for movement (I'll refer Aris's video on why that's actually true for now), an arcade stick's better for inputs that a regular controller cannot do (At least not for my hands). I don't know much about a hitbox and I hear that is a cheat code in regards to execution but it has is't cons as well. But I'd like to hear anyone's opinion, especially on tourney experiences with either one. Also I'd like help with either getting the qanba crystal or hori tekken stick?

Lulu

I only play on Controller and have 0 tourney experience.... all I can say is whatever default controller your Machine came with is absolute rubbish.

Generally speaking You only need to upgrade to Arcade Controllers when your fighting game of choice has alot of buttons minimum.
DoA and VF have 3 Buttons
Tekken has 4
MK/Injutice have quite a few but they're frequency of use and placement don't warrant Arcade Controllers
Skullgirls, Street Fighter and Killer Instinct have 6 Buttons Minimum so thats where players usually start investing in Arcade Sticks.

Obviously thats just for whatever you may be doing with your Right hand....

Since some games have some pretty dumb motions *cough cough KOF cough* then the type of Controll that your left hand has to put up with is equally important. Thumbstick, Arcade Stick, D-Pad & Hitbox Buttons.

As far as I can tell... the Arcade Stick is pretty universal across many types of games so uhm.... try that. Specifically a modifiable Stick incase you need to rewire or relocate some of the buttons or swap out the Stick's Gate.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Whatever suits your boat to be honest. If you are already accustomed to DOA using pad and can practically play fine then there really isn't a need to get a stick or Hitbox. I play stick on Tekken because characters like Akuma is just horrendous to play on pad from my experience, however I cannot play Lee for shit on a stick so I swap to pad just to use him which makes swapping more of an annoyance (hopefully you are not like me here on that situation). If anything, you should get a stick or Hitbox just to try them out and practice so that you have a secondary option in case your first option is not available or doesn't work.

When it comes to inputs, I strongly believe that this varies by the game but PS4 pads were also never meant for fighting games because Sony's approach was to create a versatile controller for all genre games and not 100% towards fighters (thus, the rise of fight pads are created by Hori), but because DOA's buffering system is so loose it's incredibly possible to play on it (that's really good). You ever look at your button commands at the bottom and just say "Damn that's a lot of inputs for just a single move" but yet the move still comes out? something like that which is really convenient. Honestly, other fighting games could learn from this to solve the issue for others who don't want to invest in a fight stick even though you have players that manage somehow using a pad for games like KOF etc.

In terms of getting one, I only recommend Stick/Hitbox if you are looking to try something new with your game but I don't recommend it if someone thinks it'll improve their gameplay even if they tolerate it for months. Luckily I got mines for free along with a Hitbox, but there are those that bought one thinking it will improve their gameplay and noticed that nothing much is changed and causing some of the buyers to no longer touch an arcade stick.

Edit: DOA I use a Fight Pad (Hori) and I have no regrets with it. I've played DOA for quite awhile on pad, learned stick recently for DOA but then I came to the conclusion that I have no need to swap to stick. Least for DOA, it's like starting over for no reason at all if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Lulu

Ah Damn... can't watch it now....

I'l get back to you in 24 Hours.... in the mean time... you can reflect on how many times Aris says "Boom". ;)

Lulu

All right I'm back.... so uhm... I think Aris has said it all.... obviously he didn't cover Reliability but other than that I agree with everything he said.

It really does depend on your hands and which game you're playing.

One thing I've noticed is that Pad Players on Tekken who play a plethora of characters have adopted to the "Claw Style" for holding the pad.... they do this because Namco said "Fuck It" to practicality into designing some of the Simultaneous button presses of some characters moves and strings.... essentially a thumb is inadequate for some of the inputs players need to do.... so they have to firmly grip the pad with their left hand and then hover over the face buttons with their right hand's fingers in a "Claw" like position.

Now Tekken does allow you to Macro some of those inputs but the point I'm making is:
A) There aren't enough buttons to Macro all of them.
B) Different characters will require you to change the Macros... which is an unnecessary mental burden.

The Claw Style negates the need to have to deal with any of that.

So yeah... if you're going to play Competitively I'd recommend getting a Stick...

Really you should be weighing the pros and Cons of getting a Hitbox or a Stick since Tekken has quite a number of instances that require you to go back to neutral and I hear Hitbox Controllers are better in that department.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It really does depend on your hands and which game you're playing.

Yeah. However you could play it in any style since it's based on your comfortability with how you handle the controller to play the game.

One thing I've noticed is that Pad Players on Tekken who play a plethora of characters have adopted to the "Claw Style" for holding the pad.... they do this because Namco said "Fuck It" to practicality into designing some of the Simultaneous button presses of some characters moves and strings.... essentially a thumb is inadequate for some of the inputs players need to do.... so they have to firmly grip the pad with their left hand and then hover over the face buttons with their right hand's fingers in a "Claw" like position.

Tekken is originally a 4 button game. You could probably say that it's literally a direct transfer from the arcades into the console while keeping the button placement. It's still kind of a hard topic to go into because number of reasons, one problem is that players are trying to play Tekken in the same grip as they play other games (but then you also have players that do well in the regular grip), and other problem is execution being hindered. If you look at it from a different view, it's mostly a controller problem which usually makes them shift their hands to play on a claw style, not really them. It's still very possible to play pad on Tekken like how they play their other games.

Now Tekken does allow you to Macro some of those inputs but the point I'm making is:
A) There aren't enough buttons to Macro all of them.
B) Different characters will require you to change the Macros... which is an unnecessary mental burden.

The Claw Style negates the need to have to deal with any of that.

I do agree that addition to macros would be nice since you have a number of moves such as 1+3/2+4/1+2+3+4, but you have no room to add more additions which leaves to the controller problem once more. We are talking about pads that were never meant for 100% fighting games, it was meant for versatility in all game genre.

So yeah... if you're going to play Competitively I'd recommend getting a Stick.

You could play competitively without a stick, some of their top players play on a pad. Stick is only recommended to try something new, not to improve one's gameplay to be honest. Mark Julio (US Community manager for Tekken): No you don't need an arcade stick to play Tekken, there are people on our streams that play Tekken on a PS3 controller! what makes you happy will work and don't believe people that say you need one just to be high level with the game.

TheMainMan also beat Tekken's story mode on the hardest difficulty on a PS4 controller and doing electrics on them without the shortcuts. Some say that the reason is because they played Tekken for too long that they are used to the game, but that still shows that it's possible to play the game on pad.

-------------------------------------------------

For me towards Arcade sticks, I think they are really good. Like Sly mentioned back, playing stick is like writing with your off hand (in which case, I'm a righty so I write with my right hand and playing stick is like writing with your left hand). It's a weird experience at first and makes you feel like complete shit the first time doing combos and moving around the stage. I thought I wasn't going to like it at first but ended up liking it the more I use it. Sticks also last longer than pads because those D-pad just wasn't meant for fighters so they make Fightpads, the Hori ones, become a thing. If you learned stick, then in my opinion was well worth the money. If you didn't then it's not worth the money.

Last edited:

Lulu

You could play competitively without a stick, some of their top players play on a pad. Stick is only recommended to try something new, not to improve one's gameplay to be honest.

Thats technically true but its hardly practical... the problem isn't just what you can or can't do but also how natural and practical it is to do it with a pad or stick... its just like Aris said in the video. They are some things that are undeniably obviously better to do on pad or on stick regardless of which an individual might find more comfortable. For example the Arcade Stick's Button Placement is something thats clearly better for Simultaneous or near Simultaneous Button Presses simply because their placement accomodates more of your fingers to press more buttons at the Same time.... the pad, even a fight pad, just doesn't let you do that, ergonomically speaking.

Ofcourse if your game/character of choice doesn't require youto press so many buttons simultaneously then an Arcade Stick has no real advantage so you can just choose whichever Controller you find most comfortable.

Now in a perfect world... every game would be designed to be played on a pad from the ground up since thats something that every gaming system is almost guaranteed to have.

But we don't live in a perfect world..and thats why the Claw Grip is even a thing in the first place.

TheMainMan also beat Tekken's story mode on the hardest difficulty on a PS4 controller and doing electrics on them without the shortcuts. Some say that the reason is because they played Tekken for too long that they are used to the game, but that still shows that it's possible to play the game on pad.

Theres always going to be "That one guy who won this" or "That one guy who can do that"... thats just the nature of things... theres always going to be exceptions to the rule.... but that doesn't mean the "Rule" is no longer correct.... it just means that those who contradict the norm are exceptional. But all that is irrelevant to the main issue....

When I bitch about Controls in any game... the outcome is irrelevant. Its all about the method. I don't bitch about because I'm not winning or or I'm not beating certain game modes... I'm bitching because I can't get the move I want to come out with any level of reliable consistency. If watching a bunch of Tournaments has taught me anything its that you don't need perfect execution to be a winner. People can drop combos and Make input errors and still win. Hell some people win with Faulty Controllers (Kwiggles vs Dr. Dog Winter Bawl 9). But that doesn't mean that their controller of choice is any indicator of its practicality. Yes sure it's Viable but a better choice would be which ever controller is better suited for whichever moves you're trying to pull off.... for difficult games... Sticks usually give people that advantage.

I can tell you right now that a an Arcade Stick is something that would never be comfortable for me... its shear size and the shape of that stick is something I know I'm going to find awkward to place on my lap or a desk.... but I also know theres just some stuff I know I'l never be able to do on my Controller even though I prefer to use it.

Needless to say that getting good enough to play against the best players in the world is going to require some Sacrifices.... Controller Preference maybe one of those Sacrifices.

T..J. Bernard

Alright I'm back. After streaming my horrendous play on stick from both DOA & Tekken I'll say I agree mostly with what everyone's saying. In regards to DOA, It was a pain (button placement & first time experience). See what I did there :rig: . Dashing felt awesome on a stick vs a pad. But inputs felt easier on a pad in comparison to a stick mainly because of lack of stick experience and I felt inputs for pad were right there. With tekken for me so far it's the polar opposite. Dashing felt way better on a D-pad but inputs (most of em') were easier with Stick. But Tekken was hard (for a Hwo main) because movement was such a killer for me on stick. So far Pad vs Stick for me depends not only on preference but the game played. But that's from a day of exp. I'll have to wait a bit before I have enough exp to discuss. All that's left for is a hitbox. Idk when I'll be able to get it soon but I'm working towards that possibly.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I have a Hitbox, but I haven't tried it with DOA since it's a PS3 HitBox. My PS3 recently came in so I have a chance to try it out or playing it on Steam. I might need months before I make my calls and opinions on it. First few days/weeks is not a big decision for me. I can come back to this thread around January or something regarding the HitBox.

T..J. Bernard

All good. My opinion's possible to change when I have more exp with my stick. Good thing about this is there's still exploring to do.

Lulu

LoL... Theres no Sticks where I am... I'l have to import one. Man the Delivery Fee is gonna be a huge Pain.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD