Creative Art Input Thread

Blash

Thanks for the input. And don't worry, I have been doing creative work for YEARS, and I feel if you get offended by critiques, you shouldn't be in this line of work. So any criticism, subtle or down right aggressive, is always welcomed with an open mind.

The cheeks won't be a problem, I can scale down the nose too. As you know some times when you work on something for a long time you start to not see what right in front of your nose, if you excuse the pun. Looking at your rendition, I see that now. Its your creation, and I want to get this 100% (that is why I am doing this after all to practice).

However (to elaborate on the creation process), the reason why some of her characteristics are the way they are is because they will be augmented further down the line. After the character is rigged (for bodily movement), the face is set up with 'key shapes' to create emotional movement. For this the face needs to be in a 100% neutral state to make this as simple as it needs to be.

This is why the eyes are HUGE and wide (she does actually have eye lids, they just can't be seen in this state), and its the same with the mouth. If its modelled like its making an "E" sound, with a slight opening, its makes the facial movement much easier at the end. Still, saying that, lets narrow it, as you did in your image, and see how that goes. It can all be changed at any stage.

Like I said, I'll upload another WIP tomorrow (with the changes you mentioned), and I encourage as much criticism as you feel is needed. Its just going to make for a better render in the end.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That's great! :) I was really excited, when I wrote the critique, so I'm glad, I didn't go over board. XD
I could need your help too, if you got the time and feel like it. I'm doing a rather extensive character design tutorial for one of this publisher's books: https://shop.3dtotal.com/
It's of course is in English...and that language is, as one might have guessed already, not my native one. So, I really need a native speaker, to take a look at my text, marking all mistakes, wrong expressions and just plainly tell me, if my tutorial was of any help at all. XD The editor would probably do it anyway...but I don't want to make a horrible impression. >__>

Blash

I can take a look at it, thats no problem at all. I'll PM you my e-mail and you can send it on to me then when ever you want.

synce

Looks awesome so far.

Also I'm just practicing sketches while doing laundry

@synce
Includes a quick sketch of Nora among the other characters.

View attachment 13438

Any thoughts /suggestions? Debating whether to go back to Norah having massive breasts, or keep them toned down like this. Not disproportionately large, but this almost feels too small.

Well you already know what I'm going to say... Pig tits or bust

Blash

Here is todays update. Just went with a quick screen grab from blender.

First of all, this is an Orthographic view. Some of the proportions will look wrong, as there is no perspective in the image. I messed around with the face a bit. Also added the first parts of clothing. Most of the outfit needs a good deal of work. I am going to add most of finer details of the clothing with the normal maps, to keep the polygon count down.

I might model the pockets, I haven't decided yet. If I do that, I pretty much have to do the stitches too. Something to think about when I am actually AWAKE :)

I wanted to get the necklace and shoes done/finished today, but I couldn't get everything I wanted to, as I am learning some other programs at the moment too, and am back drawing more anatomy.

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 00.21.18.png

Should have another big update tomorrow.

The plan is to complete the model and start unwrapping it for texturing.

UPDATE

Here is todays (Friday's) update!

I finished the model. Its still missing modifiers. Thats why the fur on the shoes and chest look weird. The hair is still low poly, but I prefer to start texturing the model and then finalise the modifiers.

Im going to start UV unwrapping now (boring as hell), but that means I should have basic textures to show you guys soon. I want to try get the texturing 100% finished on Saturday night. That will be a huge under taking, but Im sure if I get 9 hours straight, I can do it.

As of now, minus the modifiers, this model is composed of 9734 polygons. The lower the models count (without forsaking detail), the better. The more you can do with it. Basically this model would (as it currently stands) preform in a game on an incredibly low spec machine. To elaborate;

A League of Legends character model: 6860 polygons
A Final Fantasy 15 character: 100,000 plus polygons

Mwip05.png

More updates tomorrow!

[UPDATE 2]

Nothing too exciting, but I have just finished the unwrapping. I wanted to have the textures closed to finished today, but I ran into a HUGE problem with the eyes. There was a weird doubles glitch where I couldn't remove doubled up faces on the inside of the eye which was destroying the unwrap. I just had to build the inside of the eyes again from scratch.

The hair is a lot more detailed and I refined the hand and collar bones (slightly).

The unwrap was composed of VERY weird shapes. To fill the UV map correctly, focusing on areas of higher detail, it took a lot of tweaking.

Here is a shot of the unwrap, with Mina's face unclose with subdivision modifiers.

Mwip06.png

Textures NEXT!!!

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I'm going to post something, so you don't have to update your old post all the time. ;) The updates look great so far by the way! :D
You might also be interested in this video, that Kodachi shared in another thread some time ago:

It explains, how the Guilty Gear Xrd's characters came to live in 3D. Imho Arc System Works are the very best in transforming 2D art to 3D anime/comic style models. No other studio comes even close.

Blash

Thanks @Tyaren for the link. Need to sit down and have a look at it (being an hour long and all).

Anyway, I ran into a ton of problems with my computer. The textures took ages. Finally just got the diffuse and bump maps done. Heres as render of the first colour test. On the right are the bump and colour maps.

Mwip07.jpg

Im not going to upload a picture of the character fully textured until I have it done. I don't want to give it all away too soon. The colours on Mina are all flat with no dept and no bump map.

Im gonna go make the specular and gloss maps now, and start rigging her tomorrow.

[SUNDAY UPDATE]
So here is the finished rig.

Mwip08.png

Going to pose the model now and start the lighting.
Basically that means, the finished Render will be up tomorrow. I have a few hours of tweaking all the textures and getting the lighting just right, then the finished render its self (on my under powered machine) will probably take 3 hours!

Tune in tomorrow, same Bat time, same Bat channel!

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So cool, Blash! O: I think, it turned out really well in the endl! The rendering does look like an actual figurine. When I get a newer PC I'm going to look into this program, if it's even free. :) May I post this (and maybe some of the w.i.ps) on my Facebook page? If you have a page, I'll promote you there a bit. :)

Blash

Thanks so much for all the likes and comments guys. Really means a lot :)

:) May I post this (and maybe some of the w.i.ps) on my Facebook page? If you have a page, I'll promote you there a bit. :)

Of course. Its your character. Also, thanks again for letting me use your design, I did learn a lot with this project, and it was fun to model something different. I don't have a Facebook, but if you want you can throw in a link to my Deviant Art page:
http://faceaway.deviantart.com

Im going to upload it there soon (fully crediting the design to you), so if you could link the Mina character, and your FB, I'll include them. Also, if you don't have the Mina sketch on your DA page, if you upload it, I can put a thumbnail to the image in my details on the render.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD