D.I.D. 8: Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverKhaos

Hahahaha what a shitty commentary. Keep your tears to yourself and your boasting about knowing some ''stuff'' that you learned from ''competing'' is a fucking joke. Doa series is as simple as they get, there is no magical underlying principles that you need to master, no heavy execution, no mind boggling setups and not much depth so don't pretend to know something other people don't know about the game.

Sure Helena puts you in a difficult to escape position but hey you are one of the idiots who claimed that Doa3 is the best game ever. Helena's force tech is exact same thing as landing 6p,k with Jann Lee, because there is NOTHING that you can do after you are -2, and he is in your face.

But don't worry I talked to monk who lived for 150 years in the mountains and he told me that Jann Lee in doa3 was actually more OP because of 5 frame OH that lead into guaranteed damage or death if there is a wall. He told me, that you don't actually have to do anything against Helena to win because she either have to outguess you 5-6 times in a row to keep it going because of her unimpressive damage or she has to go for a risky grabs that you young grasshopper can exploit.

One slightly related note.

DOA's simplicity is what gives it its depth. Basic=versatile. Fundamentals. It plays like actual combat (well, moreso than other fighters). Other fighters are purely focused on execution and setups, DOA focuses on the combat itself, such as players' ability to react and adapt. Again, like an actual fight.

Well, DOA5 is less so, but still.

Brute

Standard Donor
DOA's simplicity is what gives it its depth. Basic=versatile.
I still don't understand the "DOA is simple" argument. It has so many more options and different ways to change up the game that forces players to be on the lookout for so many different things, that it really feels like anything BUT the most simplistic fighter. Other fighters seem to focus strictly on hitbox detection balanced with damage potential. There's so much less "yomi" involved in those games (no, this is not an argument for random/guessing gameplay).

Berzerk!

Or fix sidestep so it doesn't get stuffed so easily so string vs throw option has to be weighed more carefully by the attacker.
It's not a "keep it, it's guaranteed damage" argument, it's to bring more logical choices to both the attacker and defender - guaranteed damage is about earned rewards, this is a looping setup.
I'm all for the loop if the defender goes back in it fur to bad reads/choices, but the ambiguity of choices dilutes the mindgame between attacker and defender here

SilverKhaos

I still don't understand the "DOA is simple" argument. It has so many more options and different ways to change up the game that forces players to be on the lookout for so many different things, that it really feels like anything BUT the most simplistic fighter. Other fighters seem to focus strictly on hitbox detection balanced with damage potential. There's so much less "yomi" involved in those games (no, this is not an argument for random/guessing gameplay).

The simplicity is more referring to the fact that other fighters focus on the technical side of things (Hitboxes, execution, etc), while DOA is more practical. Just learn to throw the punch instead of analyzing it down to the drawing board, if ya get what I'm sayin.

So the execution is much simpler, which leaves the way open to focusing on the actual fighting, which is something other "fighters" severely lack. The actual fighting is much more complicated because its not restricted by overly complicated execution.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Or fix sidestep so it doesn't get stuffed so easily so string vs throw option has to be weighed more carefully by the attacker.
It's not a "keep it, it's guaranteed damage" argument, it's to bring more logical choices to both the attacker and defender - guaranteed damage is about earned rewards, this is a looping setup.
I'm all for the loop if the defender goes back in it fur to bad reads/choices, but the ambiguity of choices dilutes the mindgame between attacker and defender here

Well I'll be damned.

Someone gets it.

Brute

Standard Donor
The simplicity is more referring to the fact that other fighters focus on the technical side of things (Hitboxes, execution, etc), while DOA is more practical. Just learn to throw the punch instead of analyzing it down to the drawing board, if ya get what I'm sayin.
I feel like DOA focuses on those just as much. It just has a bunch of other things to factor in as well. For example, Ryu's 236P+KPP41236987T (non-ongyoin Shoho Izuna, for those unfamiliar with Ryu's inputs). It sweeps X amount of range for hitbox detection, techs under highs and is slow for execution, but is susceptible to holds, mid-intercepts, etc for other factors. It's like a harder to pull off, riskier, higher reward, more technical (and flashy) Shoryuken. I literally don't see why it's considered "less technical."

SilverKhaos

I feel like DOA focuses on those just as much. It just has a bunch of other things to factor in as well. For example, Ryu's 236P+KPP41236987T (non-ongyoin Shoho Izuna, for those unfamiliar with Ryu's inputs). It sweeps X amount of range for hitbox detection, techs under highs and is slow for execution, but is susceptible to holds, mid-intercepts, etc for other factors. It's like a harder to pull off, riskier, higher reward, more technical (and flashy) Shoryuken. I literally don't see why it's considered "less technical."

Mostly just because you don't have to/can't overlap it with other moves just to get it to read due to confliction with move input lol.

What you are describing is what happens when the move is performed. I'm just referring to how the moves are performed. Compare the Izuna to say...zangiefs supers. Zangief has to perform the entire input for the move BEFORE It will come out. There's a lot of complications with that. Ryu performs the input while doing the move. Lot less complicated, as it makes more sense and is more practical.

Lightning

One slightly related note.

DOA's simplicity is what gives it its depth. Basic=versatile. Fundamentals. It plays like actual combat (well, moreso than other fighters). Other fighters are purely focused on execution and setups, DOA focuses on the combat itself, such as players' ability to react and adapt. Again, like an actual fight.

Well, DOA5 is less so, but still.
Execution and setups just add an extra layer of depth. But the point was that Rikuto wants to be seen as a ''experienced competitive'' player with ''hidden indepth knowledge of the game that we, mere mortals can never grasp''.When in fact he is trash, he is the definition of a fucking noob - always crying about shit and getting on a high horse when people trash his stupid opinion.

shunwong

I just want to chime in to say I heard the commentary (I'd just watched the match without sound before) and it just seemed to me that it was a very good one, in the sense that it was someone describing what was going on very well from personal experience. I guess people wanted Rikuto to scream twist and shout or something instead of giving insight into what was going on...

DR2K

I just want to chime in to say I heard the commentary (I'd just watched the match without sound before) and it just seemed to me that it was a very good one, in the sense that it was someone describing what was going on very well from personal experience. I guess people wanted Rikuto to scream twist and shout or something instead of giving insight into what was going on...

Well happy medicene's phone troubles were very insightful.

XV MR ARMANI

Execution and setups just add an extra layer of depth. But the point was that Rikuto wants to be seen as a ''experienced competitive'' player with ''hidden indepth knowledge of the game that we, mere mortals can never grasp''.When in fact he is trash, he is the definition of a fucking noob - always crying about shit and getting on a high horse when people trash his stupid opinion.

Whoa whoa, too far. I think Rikuto can play this game fairly well. I just thought from a sort of newcomer's perspective that his commentary wasn't good. But I already established that I don't want to repeat myself.

In literature, descriptions are meant to create images in a readers mind. Giving out information can either make good perspectives, or bad perspectives but it all relies on how the writer is communicating to the reader through the text. How does this apply to what's going on? Idk I just wanted to sound smart... lol jk but the way Rikuto spoke throughout the match would give anyone who just started to develop interest in DOA a bad vibe. Maybe it's just me. idk.

Brute

Standard Donor
I never really got the point of commentary. I can understand what's going on just fine without having someone explain it to me. xD

XV MR ARMANI

I never really got the point of commentary. I can understand what's going on just fine without having someone explain it to me. xD

Commentary is meant to liven the mood up a little while the fight is progressing. Trust me, it gets boring watching stuff without it. Imagine a football game, the Olympics, and American Idol without hosts?

Brute

Standard Donor
Commentary is meant to liven the mood up a little while the fight is progressing. Trust me, it gets boring watching stuff without it. Imagine a football game, the Olympics, and American Idol without hosts?
All 3 bore me with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD