Day 10 of IPL's 12 Days of DOA: Game Play Footage Set 1

Day 10 of IGN Pro League's 12 Days of Dead or Alive 5 has arrived. Today they bring a few game play matches from their staff of players who have had some time with the August game build.

The characters in battle are Ayane, Bass, Eliot, Hayate, La Mariposa, Jann Lee, Lei Fang, and Rig. We also get to see the new stage "Home" and the tigers are finally shown off in "The Show". Personally, the tigers don't look anywhere near as annoying as Dead or Alive 4's cheetah because they are triggered by hitting the wall danger zone and the ring master announces their departure. You be the judge. All the matches from set one are on display below, but be sure to check out more info from doa.ign.com. My personal favorites are the Jann Lee & Hayate matches, and any match that has Bass winning. What can I say? I'm a pro wrestling fan. I just wish I could have seen his F5.

First of all thanks to Dogg for the upload.

Well seems like holds and CBs are still a bit problematic but if they nerf the hold recovery and buff the CBs back to E3 level everything should be fine. I hope they listen to us cuz besides these 2 problems the game seems pretty solid.

Its not that its underused ..
Look at the damage from combo strings and the flashes of the critical hit sign and the white flashing life... They had several other chances to burst but simply didn't...

To be honest these whole matches were played extremely dry.. and at several parts its like the opponent is saying HIT ME LIKE A PUNCHING BAG when hold attempts were very possible and would have caused no more harm to the defender. Its almost like watching someone playing alone in training mode at points.

Plus they don't showcase any of the new tools, stances or strings for Leifang, Lisa, or Eliot. But I don't blame the player using them as he/she might not have been accustomed to these changes. You can clearly see that whoever was playing bass played him enough to know SOME of the new tools but still not there yet... but I honestly can't rate the rest. There wasn't even proper utilization of wall damage when it happened.

Forget burst, they hardly even did enough sitdowns, turn arounds, and not a single faint from Leifang.

speaking of Leifang, she got the chance to burst twice in that vid but didn't. and the one sit down stun she did (2P+K) she followed up with the wrong launcher after (66K). That launcher is too slow for that particular sit down and you can see that bass actually held before getting launched and the only reason he got launched was because the stun extended because of the hold... Ideally, leifang should have gone for P+K as a launcher from the 2P+K as it still connects during the guaranteed frames.. However, 66K launcher works better with her 3P4P sitdown stun which was not done even once. Did I mention she didnt attempt faint stun not even once?

No offense, but you cant rate shit from these vids and I would certainly not call them high level. The lack of burst is not a fault in the game but a fault in the move application of the players as the chances were there multiple times. but it is to be expected since they haven't had time to experience the game fully and I don't expect the players to be grand masters in all the cast.

Burst, as it is now, is fine. But I still think hold recovery needs to be returned to alpha status. That one fix is vital.

@WIZzTx, your "answes" are not assured, and theyre not punishments. Those are called guessing, and its why doa is not taken seriously. Now if the counter hold recovery was longer, then it wouldn't be a guess any longer.

you could react to your opponents fail guess and punish him. He gets enough already with a 0 frame instant hold.Why should his guess force an attacker to then guess?Answer, it shouldn't, thats all there is to say.

Then, the situation here is: Player 1 begin attack with an autocombo. Player 2, execute a Hold (missed) and can inmediately block, to escape from the string.

I don't see a problem here. The answer to this, is called THROW (or OFFENSIVE HOLD).

If you don't see a problem with screwing up a counter whilst in stun and getting rewarded for it then I can't think of anything that could make you think otherwise.

Debating with a young earth creationist would be easier...

They also need to fix the recovery on BT, you can still turn around almost instantly. When the Bass player picked up Lei Fang from behind he should have had a guaranteed launcher off of that, but she turned around too fast for it to land. This wasn't the case in 3.1

They also need to fix the recovery on BT, you can still turn around almost instantly. When the Bass player picked up Lei Fang from behind he should have had a guaranteed launcher off of that, but she turned around too fast for it to land. This wasn't the case in 3.1

I'm curious about this too. Primarily because I want to know if Helena's 214F+P that leaves her Bokuho guarantees anything. Seeing as it's a 12 frame grab that does pathetic damage.

If you mean when Bass uses the grab as a reset at the end of combo's then no free launcher, otherwise yes.

Are you talking about 0:28? That could lead to an infinite. He could do his knee again to the knockdown punch and then he could pick them up again with their back turned.

I'm curious about this too. Primarily because I want to know if Helena's 214F+P that leaves her Bokuho guarantees anything. Seeing as it's a 12 frame grab that does pathetic damage.

If you mean when Bass uses the grab as a reset at the end of combo's then no free launcher, otherwise yes.

I know what you mean man, her 214F+P is one of my favorite setups and it rarely guarantees anything unless they try to counterattack, but if they block it's shit. It does awesome damage when it connects though, i usually follow up with 4PK or 4PKP and then end it with PP2KP or 9K depending on launch height and/or the character's weight.

And yes that's exactly what I mean about Bass' reset, on BT he should get a free launcher. From the front is okay, it's just a mix up game from there.

Debating with a young earth creationist would be easier...
Hahaha i'm atheist, but i tell you what i'm think: i'm very happy with this "problem". I really hate, losing 65% of my health bar, just for not be capable to escape of a fucking string (not combo). The root of the problem is given by the duration of stuns, incredibly long (like no other fighting game). Competitively this may be worse, but for me, that play only casually, just for fun, is excellent.

I know what you mean man, her 214F+P is one of my favorite setups and it rarely guarantees anything unless they try to counterattack, but if they block it's shit. It does awesome damage when it connects though, i usually follow up with 4PK or 4PKP and then end it with PP2KP or 9K depending on launch height and/or the character's weight.

And yes that's exactly what I mean about Bass' reset, on BT he should get a free launcher. From the front is okay, it's just a mix up game from there.

In 3.1 it was a mix-up.

If the user held :F: after being BT pick-up then the Buffalo Horn would connect before they turned around. The user could avoid the buffalo horn by backdashing to turn around. The backdash would create the necessary space to avoid the buffalo horn.

Are you talking about 0:28? That could lead to an infinite. He could do his knee again to the knockdown punch and then he could pick them up again with their back turned.

And no, it did not create an infinite in 3.1 because if holding :F: the person would be hit on the final turn around frames so they would be considered facing forward when launched or knocked into the wall. The pick-up should guarantee the 33P connects on at latest the last turn around frame before guarding. This requires the user to learn the benefits of backdash turning around, like they do for Ayane's 4H+P.

Same should be said for Bass' 214H+P 6H+P combo throw that was in DOAD if it's still in DOA5. In DOAD it guaranteed nothing and should have at the very least guaranteed a P+K, otherwise I'd just finish the Manhattan Driver combo throw (214H+P 2H+P 8H+P).

Ugh, really guys...
The recovery frames and the BT recovery are OKAY but it's not like DOA4, but also they need improvement.The Bass Player on the Leifang video gave the opportunity to back turn and the throw wiffed.
The holds need a nerf, that's necessary.
and It doesn't help that the matches aren't the best in the world.

If the hold are as bad as these comments are saying look at the bright side. The tournament is coming up soon so people can show Team Ninja the problem in person.

Can someone tell me, if the duration of the holds, was correct at the Alpha Demo (or even DoA 4), why now have less frames? Who or what, led the team to make such drastic change? Think about it...the change was made because it is likely to have noticed something, during development and testing.

In 3.1 it was a mix-up.

If the user held :F: after being BT pick-up then the Buffalo Horn would connect before they turned around. The user could avoid the buffalo horn by backdashing to turn around. The backdash would create the necessary space to avoid the buffalo horn.

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying that. :)

And no, it did not create an infinite in 3.1 because if holding :F: the person would be hit on the final turn around frames so they would be considered facing forward when launched or knocked into the wall. The pick-up should guarantee the 33P connects on at latest the last turn around frame before guarding. This requires the user to learn the benefits of backdash turning around, like they do for Ayane's 4H+P.

I thought Ayane's 4H+P was inescapable? :confused:

Can someone tell me, if the duration of the holds, was correct at the Alpha Demo (or even DoA 4), why now have less frames? Who or what, led the team to make such drastic change? Think about it...the change was made because it is likely to have noticed something, during development and testing.

Likely people who had never played DOA before and didn't understand the game system whatsoever complained about the holds, likely not even understanding how they worked and what the were for.

I once played a guy on DOA4 who said it was cheap to mix up my combo's because he didn't know what to counter. He then preceded to say air combo's were cheap because they is no way out of them.

Developers hear complaints like these and try to find a balance between the opinions of scrubs who don't even understand the game engine and the opinions of experienced players. The result is what we saw with the buff to counter recovery frames.

Then, the situation here is: Player 1 begin attack with an autocombo. Player 2, execute a Hold (missed) and can inmediately block, to escape from the string.

I don't see a problem here. The answer to this, is called THROW (or OFFENSIVE HOLD).

Why the hell should player 1 have an answer to it? player 2 ALREADY FUCKED UP BY MISSING THE HOLD, why should player 1 adjust to player 2s fuck up when player 1 ALREADY DID THE RIGHT THING by getting the hit/stun in? Are you fucking kidding me?

Why do some people here think that defence happens ONCE youve gotten hit and that mixups happen AFTER you got oppened up? What in the world are you all smoking?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD