Dead or Alive 5 Helena

Omegan Eckhart

Her P+K is a high crush again, even beats some mids.
Really? I'm surprised it crushes mid's still.

Her 3 in 1s are vital to her stun game
I'd think they are great for landing CB.
Her sidestep kick can be cancelled into bokuho. Super good tool, since you're basically option selecting to evade almost every move in the entire game. Side step beats linear attacks and mids that hit bikuho, her bokuho beats all mids and highs.
Beats all high's and mid's? You mean her BKO duck? Mid's that hit the ground like Hitomi's 3F+K will her her now though right?
qcb doesn't grant much in terms of sit down stun guarantees as far as I can see
Bummer.
loss of pp2k is not as severe as once though. her ppk gets the job done
How good is 66KPP for ending strings?
absolute moster on water her 2 f+k keads into trip stun
Cool.
Overall she's pretty solid, don't plan on finiishing strings with her, evades like a mofo, stun game is her bff, etc. . .
Side step P? Is that a new attack or an old one with a new property added?

DR2K

Really? I'm surprised it crushes mid's still.

It crushed Ayane's running kick, lol

Beats all high's and mid's? You mean her BKO duck? Mid's that hit the ground like Hitomi's 3F+K will her her now though right?

Yes but that would be evaded with the sidestep.

How good is 66KPP for ending strings?

Not using it in my combos.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
It's probably just my 3.1 background, but I've been using 236PKP as her main juggle ender. Haven't messed around enough to know if there's anything better.

Omegan Eckhart

It's probably just my 3.1 background, but I've been using 236PKP as her main juggle ender. Haven't messed around enough to know if there's anything better.
In some combo's you could cancel into BKO after launching and do 4PK then do PP2KP for maximum damage, that's why PP2KP was useful. If you use 236PKP instead of PP2KP in the above combo it will miss.

I personally like 66KPP for combo's, it does high damage and the last hit can be charged to throw the opponent into danger zones.

Paulina

Sigh. Great to see the feel-good Helena vibes. =) I'm relieved she's not as worthless as we were led to believe by the powers that be. I'm off to buy my CE at GameStop right now, actually. Helena mainers for life!

But that being said, are these buffs/changes that DrDogg wasn't aware of? Were they implemented right before the game went gold? DrDogg (or any absurdly knowledgeable community vet), GTFIH please.

Goro Hazuki

I really like Helena this time around. She goes under mids like a bawss, stuns to CB in no time, sit-down stuns like she aint even tryin'. And dat figure!

I don't remember who said she basically plays the DOA4 game. But I disagree with this. Her side step P is a sit-down stun on counter/stun for Christ's sake. I'm not ready to call her amazing and what not (I just started messing about with her), but I know I will be playing a lot more Helena going forward.

I'll go through all the Helena threads to see what the veterans' recommended strategies are with her for now. Plus, I'll mess with her in training to see what I can come up with.

KwonJigglypuff

Really ? Maybe her CB game could help her case.
I can't wait to put my hands on the game.

Please keep giving your impressions, it makes me feel good.
Je jouis.

Omegan Eckhart

Really ? Maybe her CB game could help her case.
I can't wait to put my hands on the game.

Please keep giving your impressions, it makes me feel good.
Je jouis.
I will make a detailed write up for her in the next couple of days, I'm getting my copy tomorrow so give me 24 hours and I should have some tech to share. If anyone wants help with Helena and are on Xbox Live feel free to hit me up.

MasterGamer

I'm loving Helena right now! People are so confused and frustrated by me lol. Not sure how long it will last once everyone knows her, but I'm enjoying it right now.

Einzelkind

I'm loving Helena right now! People are so confused and frustrated by me lol. Not sure how long it will last once everyone knows her, but I'm enjoying it right now.

I saw you play on twitch yesterday. You gave me hope, that Helena wasn't that bad after all. But as you said, it's hard to tell right now, if people just aren't used to her yet and this will change once they know her moves better. It seems like more than ever mid punch holds are her worst enemy.

Omegan Eckhart

I actually saw you on Peaceful Jay's stream, you are the only competant Helena on there so far. I am very interested to see how well resets work with her. If DR2K is right her 3in1's place her at 0 which means if they are blocking and you can transition using a 3in1 you can reset them.

Will test it out when I get the game later today.

Sora

Just from first impressions, Helena can adjust a lot of her stuff based on what the opponent does. Delayed KKK/3KKK string is still as good as ever, 66K2/66KPP still offers a good transition to BKO and CB can be substituted with 8K, 6K or BKO throw. 214 throw isn't bad at all either.

That said, her primary problems are that she doesn't really have good guaranteed/pseudo-guaranteed combos and including her CB, a lot of her hits are mid punches. Her fastest poke is 11 with a lot unsafe strings.

Like someone said, it seems that she's meant to (almost) never finish her strings pre-launcher and delay the crap out of your opponent. Stun frequently to force either stagger escapes or critical holds, then reset accordingly.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
My meme of inspiration.

Keep calm and pick Helena.png

OolongTea

Why did they change her :6::6::P: and strings that end with it from -9 to -5 to -9 again? Was it too broken on -5?

Oh, and is her double sidestep thing (:2::P+K::h::8: , and I think the easier command would be :2::P+K::8::8::h:) useful at all? It looks very cool :p
If you do :2::P+K::h::+::2: Helena will circle around them pretty fast... maybe some Oki potential?

Edit: yeah, I guess she has even a triple sidestep with the command above then do a normal SS, is she more evasive than christie? :p
Edit2: Quadruple sidestep with BT :8:, command above and SS lol wtf and I guess you can loop SS, H, command above, SS, H, command above... it's a bit hard to get consistency though

Or better yet, just loop the command, it cancels into itself nicely, Hele will wave into foreground/background multiple times... I just tested this and it evades linear stuff just OK.

Edit3: It looks cool as hell, but the only part the actually evades is the SS part lol so it's not broken at all... unless there are setups to use it to move to the opponent's back

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD