Dead or Alive 5: Remaining Issues

PhoenixVFIRE

Thanks, good to know im not the only one. Its a pretty obvious and noticeable flaw so im sure team ninja knows. They are probably trying to figure out how to fix it.
I also agree, the animation looks really...off. I wonder what they could do to fix this?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I also agree, the animation looks really...off. I wonder what they could do to fix this?

For the explosions -- Not use unnecessary camera angles.

For cliffhanger on the raft -- Make the raft bigger on the area outside of the fence, then animate the person "breaking" through the fence so they can plausibly start rolling during the cliffhanger event.

For cliffhanger on construction site -- Animate the person either knocked through, or over the loose beams so they can plausibly start rolling along the ground.

The cliffhanger situations, cool as they are, look very incomplete during that transition. Like they just skipped a step or something.

PhoenixVFIRE

For cliffhanger on the raft -- Make the raft bigger on area outside of the fence, then animate the person "breaking" through the fence so they can plausibly start rolling during the cliffhanger event.

For cliffhanger on construction site -- Animate the person either knocked through the loose beams so they can plausibly start rolling along the ground.
True, I think the reason they didn't make it NOT a mini-cinimatic, was so people couldn't get insane juggles lol. I suppose they could just make it so the character is invincible until they hit the ground and get the untechable bounce. This would help with getting into position and knowing when we can move so we can execute combos without the wacky camera angles getting in the way and messing crap up >_>

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the cliffhanger parts. The Scramble stage is wacky, I think they should fly into and over the yellow beams. It's weird cause they just disappear LOL. It really is missing steps it seems.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
True, I think the reason they didn't make it NOT a mini-cinimatic, was so people couldn't get insane juggles lol. I suppose they could just make it so the character is invincible until they hit the ground and get the untechable bounce. This would help with getting into position and knowing when we can move so we can execute combos without the wacky camera angles getting in the way and messing crap up >_>

Pretty much this..

Doug Nguyen

For cliffhanger on the raft -- Make the raft bigger on the area outside of the fence, then animate the person "breaking" through the fence so they can plausibly start rolling during the cliffhanger event.

For cliffhanger on construction site -- Animate the person either knocked through, or over the loose beams so they can plausibly start rolling along the ground.

The cliffhanger situations, cool as they are, look very incomplete during that transition. Like they just skipped a step or something.

Yeah i agree for the cliff hangers but for the explosions cant they just leave the person who hit the enemy into the generator were he was, just not take damage or maybe just fall back with out taking damage too.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yeah i agree for the cliff hangers but for the explosions cant they just leave the person who hit the enemy into the generator were he was, just not take damage or maybe just fall back with out taking damage too.

They could. I think the thought process was that they didn't want to, though. Remember that when when all of this stuff was just being revealed they still thought NG3 was going to do well with all of its super cinematic crap. They may have learned their lesson but now it's hard coded into the level, heh. I don't think they've really had enough complaints to justify doing anything about it, either...

PhoenixVFIRE

Maybe this is the Tekken in me, but why can't I get massive damage for my oppenent being in an unfavorable position?
Well considering some of the combos Ryu could do in the Alpha demo by slamming the person into a generator and then get the handstand kick into an air grab was basically 3/4 of a persons health. I think that's good enough, I'm not really into death combos or infinite's unless they're near impossible or extremely rare. Dealing with one EVERY time you get hit into a dangerzone that springs a person flying over you would just be stupid IMO.

AKNova7

Maybe this is the Tekken in me, but why can't I get massive damage for my oppenent being in an unfavorable position?

Oh boy. Well, alright. Since it seems we have everybody in here as necessary except possibly Allen Paris, who will surely come eventually, I guess we can begin. Alright. We'll figure out about the damage and stuff later. It's one of the topics. I'll hold my opinion until then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Safe Moves

Let's start with what is most likely the easiest place to start with for the characters. Safe moves/Movement

- How safe do we want the safe moves to be? Do we want them safe enough to encourage movement attempts, or just safe enough to be safe from attacks? (IE: Do we want safe moves, or pokes?)

- Should they be some of the single hits, or include moves in strings as well? Keep in mind that if they include moves in strings, they can more easily be held, and those moves in strings would be part of a mix-up instead of by themselves.

Furthermore, when the inclusion of these safe moves, how should it affect the movement, most notably backdash, in the game?

Last but not least, how can we encourage players to use these pokes instead of the standard DOA strings?

Discuss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
What's so special about the 15th?

Middle of the month. Wanted to just give us some time to do this, since this is a message board, and things can be pretty slow.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Safe enough to not be throw punishable. Somewhere around the regions of 1-4 frames, with a few safe mids for slow characters like heavies. Any more than that and they would require push back.

I mean, they could remove stun properties from a lot of moves too.

I don't see the latter issue being addressed ever, just because to the devs, that is how the game should be.

Making moves safe and all isn't that hard to implement. If it's negative on block, it can still be safe by adding push back properties as long as it's linear.

AKNova7

Safe enough to not be throw punishable. Somewhere around the regions of 1-4 frames, with a few safe mids for slow characters like heavies. Any more than that and they would require push back.

I mean, they could remove stun properties from a lot of moves too.

I don't see the latter issue being addressed ever, just because to the devs, that is how the game should be.

Making moves safe and all isn't that hard to implement. If it's negative on block, it can still be safe by adding push back properties as long as it's linear.

I didn't mean it as a problem, just to clarify what we would be saying if we wanted safe moves as part of strings.

Allan Paris

The biggest issues won't be addressed, because TN has already stated they have no interest in fixing them as they don't see them as issues.

^ This is why I don't have too much to say. It's kind of depressing actually.

Most of the smaller (easier) issues have been mentioned here and in other places already, which is probably why people began talking about the special effects that look off in some of the stages.
Moves need to be safer as well as give frame advantage on block. So that real pressure and frame traps, can be applied to the defender (+2 and up). Stunning the defender is not as rewarding as is should be for someone on the offensive as the game is now. This can help some to compensate for that. That has been said already.

I have only played the Alpha build, so I can't comment too much on the movement that I know has changed form that build. From what I have heard: movement (back dash) varying from character to character and the SS being 88 and 22. I would like the movement (back dash) to be universal.
The SS being 88 and 22 is ok with me. I do understand some of the complaints that some people may have with that. However, after playing VF I find that having a directional input and a button to SS (OM) is rather annoying. If you play a character with a specific move for that button, that move will execute and the SS will not happen, if you mess up the OM input.

I am also aware that the better you get with SS'ing with a button, that problem will not occur so much, if at all. So with that being said, which ever SS input that is put into the game, both parties will have to work with it. Hopefully the SS itself has gotten better from the alpha build. I believe it has.

More unholdable stuns, this a has already been mentioned. Also, not being able to SE from sit-down stuns, this too has already been mentioned. They both have already been explained, so I will stop there.

Lei Fang's tits need to be bigger, and. . . . . ummmm. . . .yeah that's it.

AKNova7

Personally, my opinion is we need a lot of safer poke type moves. I can deal with the strings, as horrible as they are, because, if they give us good pokes, it'll be beaten out with a strong spacing game anyway, for the most part, especially because last I checked, DOA had BDC's (not so sure about 5 in current build.) But, I agree with the -1 -> -4 of current ideology. That kind of safety in some moves promotes movement, but forces the person to use higher risks to attempt more effective maneuvers. As far as frame traps, sure, it'd be nice, but in a game that, as it is, promotes so much other craziness, adding thought to already fast mix-up isn't exactly something we might want to do at this point in time, IMO. I like having backdashes depending on the character, but the thing is, if there can't at least be a "Minimum" backdash for a character to help their effectiveness, then it needs to be universal.

Also, stunning the defender shouldn't be rewarding in DOA. It's not only easy to do, but easy to do blindfolded. With string delay, and all that other crap, there's no reason it should be rewarded in DOA, as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, my biggest concern about having a bunch of unholdable stuns, is the fact of how easy and assisted it is to stun somebody. Honestly, what I'd really want is something in the middle of DOA and VF, with DOA being unsafety universe compensate with string delay, and VF being EVERYTHING IS SAFEZ EXCEPT BACKFLIP KICKS AND LAUNCHERZ! You know?

Like a system that balances safety, usability, and impact speed between movesets.

As long as it's as easy as it is to stun somebody, adding a bunch of unholdable stuns would just result in the opposite of DOA4. As in offense rules. And, while that would be "cooler" to look at, you know, combo century and all, it still would be just as bad, just in the opposite way.

Offense and defense need to be balanced. In a perfect world, the Defensive Hold, and the Unholdable DOA stun could balance each other out in terms of mechanics, but then they added a bunch of unnecessary crap to the system.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
It would be nice if the move sets were more safe. +1 to +2 (5-8 strikes)would be good here and there along with -1 to -4's(15-20 strikes). Poke attacks like Jabs (:P:/:P::P:) will be +1 to +2, while other attacks that have other viable attributes are -1 to -4(launchers, knock back/down strikes).

Chris Harris

With how the game is right now it's not that many moves that stun on normal hit. With the way the game CURRENTLY is (not how you want it to be) the way they have it set up is probably the most logical for what seems to be their aim.

Right now the game revolves around landing a stun and then making 1 or 2 extensions for the uncounterable stun. However they have the hold nerfed so bad it makes throwing a really viable option when you stun someone. Since holds aren't doing as much damage it's pretty much going to come down to defense and knowledge of the game. You will have to know the character(s) options to actually beat that character now. The uncounterable stuns is what give the attacker complete control over the scenario and while the defender does still have the hold for many situations it's better to eat the combo most of the time.

All in all I highly doubt anything substantial is going to change even if you write up something and send it. At the best we can hope that sit down stuns can't be struggled out of. That is probably the best thing we could hope for. None of your other ideas will be done in this game, they have pretty much shown the way they are taking it and we haven't even explored it yet. We can only speculate and guess how the game will turn out.

DrDogg

If I had to guess, I'd say we have another month of input before things are too far along (unless there are post-release patches). Granted, no major changes will be made, but I could see frame data and stun properties being changed.

TRI Mike

If characters are gonna have 65-100+ strings each like in DOA4 I think all of them should get AT LEAST seven which give frame advantage on block. starting with +2 to +6 should be fine. Also there should be more safe moves so it becomes possible to keep pressure on a blocking opponent without getting throw-punished every time a string ends. More sit-down and unholdable stuns should be added as well.

Other than that, I'd like bigger boobs for all the girls except Tina who is already the most beautiful female in the history of electronic entertainment. More costumes, and cool single-player game modes like Team Battle, Survival and the such. Also, online sparring should be included.

And for all the love God has for us, SHOW US JANN LEE AND HELENA.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD