Characters Difficulty of these characters?

Sayin

I'm thinking of getting this game but I want to buy characters individually.
What is the difficulty of the following characters? What high execution stuff should I be expecting from them (1f links, etc.)?

Sarah
Pai
Momiji
Mila
Helena
Christie
Lei Fang

Also less important, could you guys give a run down of the playstyle of these characters? Some of them do not have extensive sections.

Last edited:

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I'm thinking of getting this game but I want to buy characters individually.
What is the difficulty of the following characters? What high execution stuff should I be expecting from them (1f links, etc.)?

Sarah
Pai
Momiji
Mila
Helena
Christie
Lei Fang

Also less important, could you guys give a run down of the playstyle of these characters? Some of them do not have extensive sections.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

There isn't much difficulty in the characters you mentioned excecution-wise apart from maybe Sarah, Pai, Mila but even the execution difficulty of those 3 is nothing compared to what you may see in other games. The game is more heavily based on the difficulty of the mind game rather than the excecution.

There's a very thorough in-game tutorial and command training as well as combo challenges for the entire cast. you can find most of what you're looking for there. Just get the game. :)

Sayin

What about playstyles of those characters? I understand Christie, at least

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I think you would get more information about each character's play style in their respective sub-forums if you were to ask there.

ScattereDreams

I don't think I've ever seen execution as a problem in a game suchas DOA unless you're doing something like just frames/command just frames. If you play Tekken and Arcsystem fighters then depending on who you play or how well you play them, DOA execution shouldn't be a problem; it all comes down to muscle memory and mind games.

Out of all the characters you've mentioned i'm quite sure Momiji and Christie are probably the most beginner friendly. Sarah's an all around great character she has almost everything except good throw damage (frame traps, mixup's, sabaki's, true block strings, a i11 mid punch that crushes highs, a variety of safes, and more..)

I'll send you a more detailed message; 3 of them are my mains, the rest I have a generally idea of how they should be played + some experience or can guide you to players who'll give you a more effective note to sway your decisions on who you want to play.

Sayin

I don't think I've ever seen execution as a problem in a game suchas DOA unless you're doing something like just frames/command just frames. If you play Tekken and Arcsystem fighters then depending on who you play or how well you play them, DOA execution shouldn't be a problem; it all comes down to muscle memory and mind games.

Out of all the characters you've mentioned i'm quite sure Momiji and Christie are probably the most beginner friendly. Sarah's an all around great character she has almost everything except good throw damage (frame traps, mixup's, sabaki's, true block strings, a i11 mid punch that crushes highs, a variety of safes, and more..)

I'll send you a more detailed message; 3 of them are my mains, the rest I have a generally idea of how they should be played + some experience or can guide you to players who'll give you a more effective note to sway your decisions on who you want to play.
Thanks, I'd definitely appreciate it. Also, the difficulty question isn't so I can play an easy character per se. It's more so to gauge what I should be expecting when using them.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Well, let's see.

Sarah - Good offensive oriented character with great tools, just weak throws.
Pai - She's not too powerful and her counters suck, but her combos make up for her overall small damage output.
Momiji - Beginner friendly, somewhat balanced, like most of the ninjas.
Mila - Easy to use, hard to master. Great holds and throws, which are essential to her game.
Helena - Crazy mix-ups for days, thanks to her down P+K stance.
Christie - Fast character, but not recommended for beginners.
Lei Fang - Very technical character with a lot of expert holds, which take a lot of practice.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Why's that?
She's fast, but kind of lacks power. Also, she doesn't have the best air juggle game, IMO. It's not so much as she's not beginner friendly, it's just that it's not recommended that beginners use her right away.

Brute

Standard Donor
She's fast, but kind of lacks power. Also, she doesn't have the best air juggle game, IMO. It's not so much as she's not beginner friendly, it's just that it's not recommended that beginners use her right away.
The things that beginners tend to struggle with most in my experience is mix-ups (those unused to the "can hold while in stun" system get snagged a lot for repeating the same hit level) and respecting frame data (attacking Kasumi at match start with a 13 frame attack or attacking from disadvantage). Christie has lots of natural mix-ups inside her strings and can frequent all hit-levels. She has the fastest high and mid in the game, and her crush/SS properties only add to her ability to dominate nearly any other opponent in the neutral game, and even allow her to avoid throw punishment or strike retaliations in certain situations. Obviously new players are not going to pick up on all her complexities, but I'd say she's a fairly good choice for new players who don't want to pull their hair out with a steep learning curve (opposite a slow grappler, someone who relies on the same hit level and has to work on baits, or a VF who must know and respect frame data).

AkaShocka

No no. Christie has decent juggle damage. Beginner friendly, eeeehhh I dont know. Anyone can spam with her and get off hits since she has normal strings that can hit at all hit levels. Using her correctly is pretty tough but not the hardest. Her only throw that I use that is useful is her 3p+kt (or jak44t) to reset a situation. Her :624: throw does good damage on HiC. And lacking power, she really doesn't need the strongest jab in the game. She'll just stun you to half life and then just combo you off (not really). She's great with mix ups and stuns. She's more of a pressure character so maybe a beginner won't use her right to apply pressure. Only thing Christie really lacks is throw damage and hold damage. But she really doesn't even need them.

Brute

Standard Donor
What it sounds like is: A beginner won't use Christie properly like a vet will. And obviously that's true, but is any character any different? In respect to the entire roster, I'd say Christie errs on the more "newbie-accessible" side than a lot of the others.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
If someone is a beginner, then they should use characters like Kasumi or Kokoro. Hell, even Momiji or Jann Lee are very beginner friendly because you don't have to much in the way of causing stun or doing big damage.

David Gregg

If you're willing to spend $28 why not just buy a used DOA5U for literally 4 or 5 more dollars? If you're new to this game it's much wiser not to invest in characters anyway as you really don't know who you like to play best as.

Reactions: d3v

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
If you're willing to spend $28 why not just buy a used DOA5U for literally 4 or 5 more dollars? If you're new to this game it's much wiser not to invest in characters anyway as you really don't know who you like to play best as.
Seriously, Idk why TN set the individual character price kind of high. $4 might not sound like a lot, but if you're buying multiple characters, then it's a lot. Also, Story Mode is $15 and the full character set is $35. That's already more than buying the retail copy itself. Not to mention the extra costs of costumes, if he's into that.

QueenJakheiho

What it sounds like is: A beginner won't use Christie properly like a vet will. And obviously that's true, but is any character any different? In respect to the entire roster, I'd say Christie errs on the more "newbie-accessible" side than a lot of the others.

A lot player doesnt even know she had a stance lol. Nah Christie is one of the hardest chars to master in that Game and for beginner Hitomi, Alpha, Kokoro, Jann Lee, Gen Fu, Momiji and Rachel(lol every moron can be play a decent Rachel, never saw a char that requires so less skill) the best choices!

Brute

Standard Donor
A lot player doesnt even know she had a stance lol. Nah Christie is one of the hardest chars to master in that Game and for beginner Hitomi, Alpha, Kokoro, Jann Lee, Gen Fu, Momiji and Rachel(lol every moron can be play a decent Rachel, never saw a char that requires so less skill) the best choices!
I see that as a Christie player you are totally unbiased.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'm a beginner still learning the game, and I use Christie. Then again, I've always been using Christie exclusively since DOA4. But wouldn't you know it, some folks here actually forgot about that.

Even among folks in the community, I got flak for not playing the character in a certain way or for still maining the character. Some even accuse me of being a tier whore just picking up the character for that reason, and I'm like, "Really"? God, if only they knew... if only they knew.

So based on my experience, Christie has to fall under the characters that are among the easier to use... especially prior to DOA5U with her force techs and ease of frame advantage and guaranteed stun through a partially charged guard break. She's a bit more manageable without these, but still a deadly force to be reckoned with. Even with that said, it's not to say she doesn't have her bad matchups either.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD