Digi's DoA5:U thoughts & expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

au_im_digimon

Hi I'm Webster, and I really don't like DoA series (haven't really liked DoA since 2 Ultimate). But for some reason, I sort of respect what DoA5:U is trying to do with the series. So I'm hoping I can rekindle a sliver of interest, and want to play DoA again.

Here's just a couple of things I'd like to see in or return to DoA5:U:

- universal jumps & more evasion techs

DoA feels so grounded and stale. I can't stand it. At least in DoA2:HC all characters had universal jump techniques/movement. Could use then to in a variety of ways:

* be allowed to naturally jump forward and backwards with all characters (ninjas would keep their back flip/somersault if they have them). this would give all characters universal movement/evasion options to either alter distance into or away from their opponent. and at the same time you can tech jump slow lows and punish accordingly. which brings me to my next point...

* jump delay moves would return. there were in DoA2:HC (and in Soul Calibur series 1-3). jump delay moves ADDED to characters' move sets. and opened up a whole arsenal of mix up opportunities and possible combo starters off of a critical hit.

* after a knock down, jump over opponent and force them into back turned position after a low poke (2p) if they try to wake up with any attack. this happens in tekken as well. pretty cool imo.

* after a knock down, jump over opponent and puts your character into back turn stance if your character has moves in that stance.

There are many innovative reasons why universal jumping should be allowed back in the DoA series. It's nice to have access to options. And if added in appropriately none of this would be broken in any way.

* side steps could be a bit bigger imo

* and while in back turn for all characters it be nice to natrually be allowed to walk away from your opponent. like u can in virtua fighter. and would add to a different option for spacing.

- make all stages in the game be allowed in tag mode

I never understood why the DoA series only has 6 / 20+ stages allowed for tag mode. It's probably the dumbest thing ever. especially since we're now in year 2013. and I further don't understand why players haven't pushed to have this changed yet. every interview with the dev, this question should be asked:

"when can we play tag mode on all stages in DoA?"

tekken tag 2 has over 30 stages and all of them can be played fine 1v1, 1v2, or 2v2. what's DoA's problem. laziness? :/ there really shouldn't be an excuse anymore. and personally, I think the DoA scene/series would get a lot more hype/exposure if tag mode was taken a bit more seriously IMO.

- make less opportunities to be allowed to hold during hit stun mid combo

I absolutely cannot stand this mechanic. I know...I know, "well that's DoA!" you'd say to me. but I absolutely think it's a bit much. you should be allowed ONE hold attempt mid hit stun, and that's it. You miss it, YOU EAT THE REST OF THE COMBO. Meaning, YOU CAN"T HOLD AGAIN. I mean what's the point of having hit stun in the first place, if you can't naturally combo completely? that's like trying to do links in SF4 and opponents can just focus attack in the middle of your link combos lmfao. And I know, "Well there's Critical Burst, you should use that." but it's not like you can use it right away after first hit stun. Or I would, cause I want guaranteed combo at all times. Maybe I should fish for launchers? :/ LOL DoA man...I tell yeah smh.

All right well that's all for now. The rest I'd like to see is all fan service, that I'll post below. If any of the above I see make it to DoA5:U I might consider buying it. I have DoA5 right now, just bought a new copy for $20 yesterday. I'm not even sure if the game is worth the $20 again LOL. I heard netcode isn't all that great. Hardly anyone plays online at all. And...hell why did I buy this shit again? :/

Actually I have a question: IS DOA5:U GOING TO BE A DLC ADD-ON DOWNLOAD FOR FOLKS WHO ALREADY OWN A COPY OF DOA5, OR IT'S OWN GAME WHERE YOU HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER DISC?

Cause the former is the only way I'll keep this copy of DoA5 I have now. -__-

Anyways thanks for reading folks. If you guys love this game, continue to support it and do what you do. Assholes like myself lol, just want to see a better DoA that'd deem more fun/technical to play. Hopefully the devs can and will cater to both worlds. I guess you can't please everyone huh. :p

- Fan service stuff I'd like to see

* DLC DoA Characters: Genra & Raidou. And of course Tengu if he's not already in the game.

* DLC DoA OSTs to be used IN GAME. Think "Tekken Tunes" in Tekken Tag 2, where you could add in all music from previous tekken games on any stage you want. Or you can even use your own music that you have downloaded on your console. DoA2/4 had the best soundtrack of em all IMO.

* DLC DoA stages. At least 2 or 3 added stages from all the past DoA games.

* DLC Virtua Fighter stages. I'd be interesting to play DoA with actual ring outs? I wonder how soon would some of you want to prepare for DoA x VF? :p

* MORE DLC Virtua FIghter characters. Add em all in I say. :D

Dave

PAHuRhi.gif

Sorry to say, but I don't think like any of that is going to be added in. No more Virtua Fighter characters... or any of the others you want. The roster that we've seen at E3 is confirmed to be final. They may add DLC if demand is there they've said. To answer your question about the game being an add on or disc, it's been said many times. It will be both a downloadable title and disc title. Playstation 3 also gets a something called a Core Fighter edition which is completely free but only features 4 characters; Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa. Online is free. If you want anything else, including story, other characters, costumes, ect, you must pay. Also, everything you've earned in Dead or Alive 5 can be carried over to Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate.

au_im_digimon

LMFAO @ that gif.

What I meant to ask:

Say I decide to keep this DoA5 I purchased. And then Ultimate rolls around. Do I get the update to Ultimate for free? Or do I have to pay maybe a discounted price?

Is there ANY benefit of keeping DoA5 (besides of things I unlocked carrying over) in terms of to get Ultimate?

Jaguar360

Actually I have a question: IS DOA5:U GOING TO BE A DLC ADD-ON DOWNLOAD FOR FOLKS WHO ALREADY OWN A COPY OF DOA5, OR IT'S OWN GAME WHERE YOU HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER DISC?

Cause the former is the only way I'll keep this copy of DoA5 I have now. -__-

Anyways thanks for ready folks. If you guys love this game, continue to support it and do what you do. Assholes like myself lol, just want to see a better DoA that'd deem more fun/technical to play. Hopefully the devs can and will cater to both worlds. I guess you can't please everyone huh. :p

Kind of. With the free-to-play DOA5U: Core Fighters, you can transfer much of your data from DOA5. Your costumes and story mode data carry over, but you still have to pay for characters ($3.99 a piece).
I like your ideas. I also wish for at least Tengu to come back since he's been playable in 3 DOA games already, but it is looking unlikely since it's already been announced that the roster is final. Maybe Raidou, Tengu, and Genra can be offered as Core Fighters-like DLC. Universal jump coming back would be good, but it would be hard to implement with the freestep feature.

Jaguar360

LMFAO @ that gif.

What I meant to ask:

Say I decide to keep this DoA5 I purchased. And then Ultimate rolls around. Do I get the update to Ultimate for free? Or do I have to pay maybe a discounted price?

Is there ANY benefit of keeping DoA5 (besides of things I unlocked carrying over) in terms of to get Ultimate?

No. It is justified because of Core Fighters though.

Dave

LMFAO @ that gif.

What I meant to ask:

Not really. Unless you have a collectors edition or something and want to keep it, which is what I am doing. I never sell my games anyway. Like Jaguar360 stated and what I stated in my inital post is that everything you've unlocked and gained throughout your playtime with Dead or Alive 5 will carry over to Ultimate. The only way of getting out of a full blown re-purchase of the game is to get Core Fighters and buy the content you want. But to be honest, characters being 4 dollars a piece and who knows what the other content will be priced at it's probably better to buy the physical copy.

au_im_digimon

Universal jump coming back would be good, but it would be hard to implement with the freestep feature.

hold free/guard + 7/8/9 ? :D (way it's done in VF & SC)

Very glad to know there's folks like yourself who understand why it's important for this mechanic to return. ^__^

Dave: Okay, then I'll just purchase DoA5:U when it gets released and if some of the things I mentioned above actually get implemented in the game.

Thanks to you both for your input.

CFW

So what was the input for jumping before? Was it the same as whats above? I think the absence of jumping is something I dislike, but I can get over that.

au_im_digimon

Before it was simply 7/8/9. Because in order to 8 way walk (or free step) u had to hold the free/guard button and double tap which direction u wanted to 8 way walk.

PAHuRhi.gif

Sorry to say, but I don't think like any of that is going to be added in. No more Virtua Fighter characters... or any of the others you want. The roster that we've seen at E3 is confirmed to be final. They may add DLC if demand is there they've said. To answer your question about the game being an add on or disc, it's been said many times. It will be both a downloadable title and disc title. Playstation 3 also gets a something called a Core Fighter edition which is completely free but only features 4 characters; Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate, and Hayabusa. Online is free. If you want anything else, including story, other characters, costumes, ect, you must pay. Also, everything you've earned in Dead or Alive 5 can be carried over to Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate.

thats lame, they could at least add 3 more characters since we dont need TWO random selects and theres two other open spaces, i love DOA but it needs more freaks, like how Tekken has Yoshi, Kuma, Roger, Mokujin. those are all weird characters but all unique and cool, we have Alpha but at least get my man Genra in there too, he was beast, and Tengu

Argentus

thats lame, they could at least add 3 more characters since we dont need TWO random selects and theres two other open spaces, i love DOA but it needs more freaks, like how Tekken has Yoshi, Kuma, Roger, Mokujin. those are all weird characters but all unique and cool, we have Alpha but at least get my man Genra in there too, he was beast, and Tengu

The catch is that this isn't Tekken.

Playable Tengu and Alpha are/were already stretching things with DOA as it is. Tekken's the cast of freakshows, not DOA.

Not being anti-tekken, just pointing out that they are two different series.

The catch is that this isn't Tekken.

Playable Tengu and Alpha are/were already stretching things with DOA as it is. Tekken's the cast of freakshows, not DOA.

Not being anti-tekken, just pointing out that they are two different series.

sorry i wasnt necessarily saying DOA should be Tekken, i was simply saying in my preference i would like to have more freaks and gave some examples

Argentus

sorry i wasnt necessarily saying DOA should be Tekken, i was simply saying in my preference i would like to have more freaks and gave some examples

Fair enough, but you are just barking up the wrong tree if you want more freaks.

For example, I like characters who use weapons. But I'm not gonna ask for that in DOA, I'll just go play Soul Calibur, which is all about that.

DR2K

Stages in DOA run circles around the stages in any other fighter. Tag isn't done in the big stages to preserve framerate. TTT2 drops resolutions and framerate when anything besides 2 characters and no action is going on in stages.

Next gen should allow for more freedom for both games.

au_im_digimon

Stages in DOA run circles around the stages in any other fighter. Tag isn't done in the big stages to preserve framerate. TTT2 drops resolutions and framerate when anything besides 2 characters and no action is going on in stages.

Next gen should allow for more freedom for both games.

...lol, what? :/

I mean honestly I heard about that on 360, and that's another reason why folks don't play Tekken much on 360 consoles. I never had any slow down issues with Tag2 on PS3 So I'm greatly concerned bout where you're getting that info from.

Regardless if stages are done so well in DoA series, then there's zero excuse as to why all stages can NOT be tagable. There must be other options to preserve frame rate.

DR2K

I'll user smaller words.

Stages in DOA cause machine to go more boom because they bigger and do more. Tag would no work.

Stages in Tekken do even less and make machine go slower and uglier when tag stuff happens.

Better machines will fix boom, ugly, and slow problems.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

I mean honestly I heard about that on 360, and that's another reason why folks don't play Tekken much on 360 consoles. I never had any slow down issues with Tag2 on PS3 So I'm greatly concerned bout where you're getting that info from.

Regardless if stages are done so well in DoA series, then there's zero excuse as to why all stages can NOT be tagable. There must be other options to preserve frame rate.

Current-gen tech can only support so many polys at once. We have seen hacked/glitched variants of the game where other stages were accessible for tag, and it always leads to the game crashing unless lower polygon placeholder models are used instead of the normal character models.

This isn't just a DOA 5 thing, it's how its always been. They push the consoles to their limit with many of the singles stages. Each character model is very taxing -- especially in 5.

As for universal jump, well.... I'm kind of glad its gone, honestly. It was awkward with the buffer system. It's not that it was too easy to accidentally jump, but I can't remember any time in recent history I actually did it on purpose.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
These systems aren't as powerful as we might think.i was recently playing armored core 4answer and I'm stuck in a mission where the game lags so much I can barley move and that's with the install on a PS3.framerate is stil a problem even in this day and age.

au_im_digimon

Stages in Tekken do even less and make machine go slower and uglier when tag stuff happens.

There's not a hint of lag in Tag 2 at all.

I'll just admit I will be ignorant to the fact, I believe they can do more/something to keep the graphics in tact and make every stage tag playable.

I refuse to believe they cannot, and they are simply lazy. I don't care if there been limited stages for tag in the past. This should be a none issue now on more powerful consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD