[DOA2++] Moveset Editing Project

Kronin

A simple question @usagiZ: at least one of the two versions (of course only if it's possible to do a such thing) will include also the DoA3 counterparts of Hayate, Christie and Brad Wong?

Last edited:

usagiZ

@Kronin I'm going to try to add them -- I've tested it and it looks promising, but even If It's possible to fully add their movesets, they probably won't have sound effects (for DOAO) or be on the character select screen (for 2U.) I'll test them in Version2, and if they work fine, without glitches, I'll see if they are wanted for Version1.

Tenryuga

I understand why kasumi is unsafe but didn't get why her 2p is negative. Is it so she doesn't frametrap and must out prioritize like jab vs 6p?

Giving Ein +1 on his 2p makes it so he plays like he does now. Is that too much for DOA 3.1 characters to handle outside of Hayate?

Last edited:

usagiZ

Hmm...Kasumi didn't have frame traps in 2U, I think...?
I don't know too much about frames, at least in 2U, so somebody that does should probably answer that for you. x_x She usually has to "interrupt" to get stuns in 2U, though, from my own experience playing as her.

As for Ein having +1 on his 2P, no, It probably wouldn't be too much for 3.1 characters -- but this patch won't make the characters exactly like their 3.1 selves, so I don't know how the match-ups will play out. It needs to be tested once it's done.

Even if it were possible, it wouldn't be a priority to add Hayate, since Ein already exists. (I know, they're not the same, but still - If DOA3 Characters work 100%, the extra character slot will probably go to Christie or Brad.)

Last edited:

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting! If this can come to fruition with 2U on the OG Xbox, I will happily take part.

usagiZ

Thanks for the interest :)
It's got a ways to go.

I just realized DOA2U is almost 10 years old o_o

Update: Roadblock--Collision--Airbag--Ouch. :confused:

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Not too much to ask, but could you possibly implement DOA3 Zack's:
  • 4PP (Strike Knuckle w/ fake)
  • 66PP (Elbow Rush)
  • 236PPP (Triple Impact)
  • 8K (Reverse Heel) Replace 2U 8K with 9K
  • 7KK (Spring Kick)
  • 214KK (Zack Cyclone)
  • 88P/22P (Side Body Blow)
  • 88K/22K (Slide Spin Kick)
  • PP4KK (Vulcan Cyclone)
  • PP6P2K (Devil's Tornado)
  • (DOA3) P+K (Cossack Kick) make the inputs 8P+K
  • (DOA3) F+K (Boomerang Heel Kick) inputs could be 7F+K
Thanks it would be great if you could implement into the DOA2U system. (If you are still doing it, that is)

usagiZ

Hey again to everyone watching this thread.
I know I haven't been keeping this thread updated for months now, and I've got an important, unfortunate announcement. Skip to the end for the tl;dr.*

Because of reasons, (you know, life and stuff) this project has been put on indefinite hiatus. People might not even be affected at all by this, realistically, but It felt right to officially announce it.

This isn't the "end" of this sort of project, because there seems to be some other people out there that know how to do this. (Not yet to the degree I've reached) It is, however, the end of my involvement in any of it -- at least for now.

I guess I was a little ambitious. I really would like to see a completed patch of the gameplay, eventually -- and if someone out there has the time and dedication, good luck.

V2 was aiming to make everyone "A-tier". I'm not an expert about balance in doa, so I never officially stated that. I can't really demonstrate what the gameplay felt like, but you can take my word for it that the characters at V2 beta stage felt a lot smoother and were more "fun" to play as, without straying far from their 2U selves. Sorry, it would be great if people could play test to see what I mean, but it just never got that far, and probably won't unless someone else starts and completes a gameplay patch.

I'll leave this off with a list of things that were achieved up to this point in the project:

• Ayane, Helena, Kasumi, Ein, Hitomi, Jann Lee, and Bass - V2 movesets at beta stage (bug testing)
  • DOA1 holds (seamless for most characters - only a test)
  • Hold damage adjustments
  • Throw damage adjustments
  • Hold window shortened to 12 active frames (tested - gameplay seemed smoother this way)
  • DOA3 and DOA4 animation importing (seamless)
  • DOA4 2-in-1's (experimental, ayane DOA4 - pkk/ jann lee DOA4 - 4pp)
  • Animation linking for new combos
  • In-game animation blending to make new combos smoother-looking
  • Kokoro costumes with hair physics using hitomi as a base (they seem to have the same face mesh)
  • Brad/Christie movesets with correct buttons (experimental - some throws froze, no slope throws)
  • ground bounce (experimental, OP most of the time - Tengu & Leifang were pretty broken with this)
  • air-ground bounce (kasumi doa5 66kk - experimental)
*The project's being abandoned for now, and I'm going inactive -- if you skipped to here, you've missed some info on the project's status at the time of cancellation.

Thanks for the interest and support. It's been tons of fun hearing everyone's opinion on things. I hope everyone had a good holiday season :)

Last edited:

ScattereDreams

I've used it a very long time ago with the Xbox360 version of Soul Calibur V swapping fighting styles with characters and that's about it.

Gultigargar

Not really sure where else to put this, so here goes.

In DOA Online, Tengu is slightly different from his DOA2U counterpart. The differences are that some of his attacks (P, 3P and 6P) are faster and have different launch/juggle relaunch heights in DOA Online. 3P/6PP is also changed to launch on counter-hit, instead of stunning. Those move properties are stored in a character's .bin file.

Where I'm going with this is that I've got both his DOA Online .bin file and his DOA2U .bin file, but I have no clue what to do with them myself. The only thing I've managed so far is to change the launch height of 3P on a juggled opponent, but I have no real understanding of how it worked, I just copied a block of data from one file to the other with a hex editor.

I was just thinking that if any of you have experience with this sort of thing you might be able to work out how the .bin files work and start working on a mod like the cancelled one here. It should at least be a little easier than just completely blindly edit hex values.
Download Tengu .bin files here

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
In DOA Online, Tengu is slightly different from his DOA2U counterpart. The differences are that some of his attacks (P, 3P and 6P) are faster and have different launch/juggle relaunch heights in DOA Online.

I was briefly messing around in DOAO last week and noticed that 3P and 6P were much faster than in 2U. I believe that 6PP was as well. I don't know why anything was changed and what is more perplexing is that these are buffs, rather than nerfs, even though Tengu was already the best character in the game.

Kronin

I was briefly messing around in DOAO last week and noticed that 3P and 6P were much faster than in 2U. I believe that 6PP was as well. I don't know why anything was changed and what is more perplexing is that these are buffs, rather than nerfs, even though Tengu was already the best character in the game.

Actually there are many properties of moves changed from DoA2U to DoAOL: the most evident is the kick of the dragon of Jann Lee, where in DoAOL you can defend yourself from it using the simple block.

Gultigargar

As some of you may have seen, I figured out some stuff about the .bin files and how to edit them.

I just wanted to share my notes so that can give it a try, if you want.
_NOTES Tengu.txt
DOA Online Bin Editing.jpg
The character's strike properties a stored like this in the editor. The first attacks seem to be the same for every character; P, 3P, 2P, K, 3K, 2K, wake-up kicks, jumping attacks (frontal and backfacing). Then after that you'll have to find out yourself what the attacks are.

The method I used to find out what attack I was looking at was to copy the properties and paste them onto the jab. By seeing how much damage it did and what animations played on normal hit and counter-hit I could usually figure out the exact attack. Also keep in mind that every attack has its own properties. An example of this is Tengu's 7PP and 7KP. It's the same attack, but each of them still have their own properties in the .bin file, so you wouldn't know which one it is by just copying the data onto the jab. When that happened, I would edit the attack itself and give it some easily-recognizable animation. Then I'd try out the strings with the attack I'm looking for to see which of them uses the new animation.

Speaking of animations, I haven't really been able to find any sort of pattern in them, and they seem to be stored differently for each character. For example, if I were to edit Tengu's jab to the "0156" animation it would make the opponent twirl around like with his 4P and 66P. However, if I were to change Bayman's jab to 0156 I'd get a different animation. (At least that's what I think happened when I tried, haven't really done much of that yet).
_NOTES Hit Animations.txt

Also, wall splat properties seem to be stored somewhere else. You could give a non-splatting move all the animations of another move that sends the opponent flying, but they won't ever crash into the wall. Holds and throws also seem to be somewere else in the file.

I know animation speed is in there somewhere as well, but I've had no luck finding it. If you compare the two Tengu .bin files you should be able to find it eventually, though.

Same thing with strings; Jann Lee's PPP6P was changed to PPPP in Online, so by comparing Jann Lee's DOA2U .bin file to his Online .bin file, you should be able to find out how to change, and perhaps even add, attack inputs.

Wish I could have done more, but I just don't have the time right now.

Attachments

• _NOTES Tengu.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 458
  • _NOTES Hit Animations.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 501

usagiZ

I think it's great that you are all still interested in these modifications! It's nice to see.

@Gultigargar That is spot on! You documented the properties' animation table as well. Good job! :)

The unknown stuff in the picture (FF FF 04 07 00) is frame advantage. the 07 is -7 on guard, and the 00 is 0 on hit.

I will say that most of what I was able to find out started with what you found out here, but I'll give you a hint.
The start of the bin file is a table of offsets. These lead to most of the important data in the bin. The first offset is 88000000 (or 00000088). This is the "attack definitions" offset for a list of attacks and what they do in the format of:
AAAABBCCDDEEEEFF
green is animation
blue is end state (standing, or crouching - there may be others)
grey is type(?) attacks have a 02 or 03 here usually. Throws are 04... I think, while the fighting stance has 00
red is property number
The rest seems to be stance related?

Adding strings isn't as simple as something like changing a value like with attack properties. Adding things requires repointing -- and I haven't been able to fully add new attack slots. Tina OL has one extra slot for her new PP2K. Comparing it to Tina 2U might help you find out things. Unfortunately, even if we can add new slots, there is a filesize limit, so that's still an issue. There's more things I'd like to find out, such as wall hit distance, and property definitions -- to seamlessly add guard crush, guard break, and wall crumple, among other things.

*EDIT*

Each character has their own property list:

Character specific properties are stored in the character.bin, while the common properties are hardcoded. The ninth offset of the character.bin will take you to the list of properties. Each property is 16 bytes long. The first 29 are guard properties, then it takes you to the hardcoded properties. There's 614 hardcoded properties, then it loops back to the remaining properties from where you left off in the character.bin.

I hope that helps a little. :)

Last edited:

Gultigargar

@uzagiZ Thanks, man, that helped a lot.

Now for some content: A few days ago I found where the damage for throws and holds are located. I like DOA2 a lot, but I always felt the hold damage was too high, so I grabbed the DOA2U .bin's and changed the characters's hold damage to match DOA3. If anyone wants the files for use with DOAO or DOA2U, you can get them here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ddhppifd45w73j/DOA3 Hold Damage.rar (Remember to back up your original files)

I would also like to ask for people's opinions here: In DOA3, Bayman and Leifang got advanced holds that do more damage. While making the hold damage mod I was considering making Bayman and Leifang's mid-holds cause the damage their DOA3 advanced mid-holds do. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

usagiZ

Quick question: Is "less active frames for holds" a good thing?

*edit*
Oh, I've asked this before...nvm.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD