DOA4's top 25 (When it mattered)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relius Starkiller

I don't see how giving recognition to online only players 'attacks' them into coming offline...

Attack the issue. . .and I never said anything about giving recognition to online only players.

Edit: misread your post.

Some people want their name up in lights and, frankly, if you're good online you're good offline - Unless you're some kind of professional lagger or something.

I can't name a single person who was a beast online that, when I played them offline, they weren't just as good if not better.

Give some examples of players who were great online but didn't acclimate well to the offline game.

Berzerk!

There is definitely value in having a history of tournament results and tracking player progress - but don't include online.

Track all players and placements in all major tournaments, then where possible pick up on the articles, videos, interviews and other material related to those events, and you have something worth going back to.

Losing our history in all forms of gaming events is a big problem and it would be a worthy goal to preserve it.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Attack the issue. . .and I never said anything about giving recognition to online only players.

Edit: misread your post.

Some people want their name up in lights and, frankly, if you're good online you're good offline - Unless you're some kind of professional lagger or something.

I can't name a single person who was a beast online that, when I played them offline, they weren't just as good if not better.

Give some examples of players who were great online but didn't acclimate well to the offline game.
I was... in my head.

Relius Starkiller

Then you are playing the game for all the wrong reasons.

In late 06 and early 07 playing this game for money was a waste of time? CGI, WCG, CGS all had nice cash prizes and a few online organizations like Cevo and EGL even offered cash prizes. When players who ended up on the CGS for a season, at least , walked away with 20G's for less than 3 months of work, when Offbeat Ninja won 10k for playing the better part of the WCG event ONLINE, to say at the time playing for money was an ignorant approach to competition. . .well, you're just not informed.

Taikou was a serious lagger, he always lamented the fact that he was over at a buddies house and that his connection was shit.

That being said he did beat everyone in his round robin bracket pretty easily at the combine.

Raansu

The fact that they needed money to entice them to play doa show's how much trash doa 4 was and how little they cared about the game. If you are playing just for money then you are playing a game for the wrong reasons.

Relius Starkiller

The fact that they needed money to entice them to play doa show's how much trash doa 4 was and how little they cared about the game. If you are playing just for money then you are playing a game for the wrong reasons.

I played the game offline exclusively for money but I had plenty of fun playing it online. Why travel outside of my living room if everyone I've ever known who likes the game has it on Xbox Live?

You could go to a SF gathering here in Florida and MAYBE have 10 to 15 people to play with, online I could play triple that number in a night during DOA's heyday."You should have took DOA to them", well I did and they liked it but they went back to playing third strike.

Just like when I brought KOF2002UM out there - they liked it, but they went back to playing third strike.

Just like when I brought Guilty Gear AC - they liked it, but they went back to playing third strike.

Just like when we all liked MK - it was fun for a while, then they went back to playing SSF4.

DOA4 died for more than a few reasons but a lot of it had to do with DOAC cordoning itself off in private rooms and being jerks and snobs. Most people I talk to online say they would love to play DOA offline but they don't like the people. . .so if they aren't playing for money and just want to come for fun but most of you guys were acting like assholes online. . .what should have been their reason to come offline Ransuu?

And to say that most people hated DOA4 back then is misinformation. There were a handful who didn't like it but the majority of us did enjoy it, talk about it and play it without money even being a factor.

So, back on topic, lets give these people reasons to come offline - Rankings, advanced seeding, community events, positive attitudes, yada yada yada.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
And to say that most people hated DOA4 back then is misinformation. There were a handful who didn't like it but the majority of us did enjoy it, talk about it and play it without money even being a factor.
I know, right?

You could say I was playing DOA for the "wrong" reasons. I wasn't even paying attention to how bad the mechanics were. I was purely driven to play DOA4 all this time for the simplest reason: Because I enjoyed a character so much I went out of my way to learn how to play her exclusively, knowing I wouldn't be able to travel for offline tournies to prove anything.

But wouldn't you know it, my motivation to play - as honest as it was - came with a mixed audience... back then I was misunderstood by plenty, disliked by some, and accepted by few. Once I realized this, I went through a roller coaster of emotions over the years. Hell, I was so fucked up that I even denied my own way of thinking just to appease others most of the time.

If money was my only motive to keep playing... if there wasn't someone out there that wanted to represent Christie at an offline tourney at the EC years ago that actually, genuinely wanted my help... if I didn't find a way around making free alternate accounts to play folks who would otherwise be inaccessible to play if they knew who I was... if it weren't for a handful of folks who didn't give up on me... I would've broke down, stopped playing, and left the community years ago. And if that happened, I wouldn't have had a single shot at going to an offline tourney.

The point is, money was never a factor in my motivation to keep playing DOA4. Now that I have a bit more freedom to travel to some tournies as opposed to several years ago, all that's left are my stubborn confidence/security issues. I think hiring a pro-domme should help remedy that problem... yeah... but seriously, I'm working on it little by little. For all I know, it's probably the negative tension with all this talk about DOA's competitive future that's getting to me, and I'll probably feel right as rain when it's all over.

Relius Starkiller

Also, I didn't make that shit. Somebody just sent me a message sayin "Check this out."

My fan-base is larger than all of yours combined.

Chris Harris

The best players kinda circulated beating each other.

The Top 4 was undoubtedly Offbeat Ninja, Black Mamba, MASTER, and Perfect Legend. (Not in a particular order)

After that it was more of players making an up coming which was mainly myself but there were a couple of others (Rikuto and Rabies). Even in the last tournament WCG thing for DoA it was me and Mamba and he beat me there too. Rabies came pretty late in DoA4's life so he didn't get to make as much of an impact he wanted. Rikuto started winning late as well but he always gave the top 4 a solid run most of the time anyway. The thing with me and Rikuto is that of the top 4 we both had one person we would usually beat. He would usually beat MASTER and I would usually beat Offbeat, funny times lol

Everyone else was pretty much losing to those players if they showed up to a tournament. So there wasn't really a top 25 because we barely made that number in people showing up to a tournament lol.

Making your list would be inaccurate as most players just claimed to be amazing but refused to get off that couch (and for good reason!) for fear of losing.

PhoenixVFIRE

I may have never been to an offline tournament, but I'd heard of who were considered great players or just very popular in the community and there are many names I remember or was ALWAYS hearing about. MASTER, Perfect Legend, Black Mamba, Offbeat Ninja, Satisfaction, Chaosghost, Codemaster(jumble of numbers here), Free Phoenix(or Fenix? idk), Koompbala, Julius Rage, Itzskills, Vanessa, NOD Subway, Allan Paris, Awesmic, Rikuto, Silent Avi, Sweet Revenge, Gill Hustle(Mr. Wah, I've only ever seen in the forums),....lol Clan Impact(all 1 billion of them in which only like 5 or so were any good) and many of the other clans out there whose names slip my mind. Both on and/or offline players...

Anyway, I'm sure there are MANY other people I've heard about at one point or another...and honestly, I commend every single one of you guys, whether you rep was good, bad or neutral, you all(including all who have escaped my mind) were/ still are great players and I look forward to seeing EVERYONE coming back for Dead or Alive 5 :D

Relius Starkiller

Everyone else was pretty much losing to those players if they showed up to a tournament. So there wasn't really a top 25 because we barely made that number in people showing up to a tournament lol.

If you were making a top 25 NBA players of the 90's who would be at the top.

Micheal Jordan. . .sure.

Scottie Pippen . . .yup

Hakeem_Olajuwon. . .yup

Tim Duncan. . .ok.

So who else. . .

What about Charles Barkely, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Dennis Rodman, Shaq, Kobe and on and on.

Its can't just be about who was winning the titles, what about the guys who were underneath them? I think I'd be fairly easy to cull together a list of top 25 DOA players and, guess what - I might not even be one of em.

Hell, heres a top 15 mock list with no explanations as to why they are where they are (The only ones I'd put thought into were the top 6 by the way)
1) Perfect Legend
2) Black Mamba
3) Master
4) Offbeat Ninja
5) Hatrify
6) Rikuto
7) Vigaku
8) Ninja CW
9) Shin Ryujin
10) Taikou
11) Dave Cheppelle
12) CaliJared
13) Rabies
14) Nefarious Sage
15) Accurate

It isn't really that hard especially once you admit that if you were great online you were great offline (The caveat being that maybe you abused Kasumi or Hitomi's online BS. . .or you're Subway using Tengu with a suspect connection.)

Chris Harris

If you were making a top 25 NBA players of the 90's who would be at the top.

Micheal Jordan. . .sure.

Scottie Pippen . . .yup

Hakeem_Olajuwon. . .yup

Tim Duncan. . .ok.

So who else. . .

What about Charles Barkely, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Dennis Rodman, Shaq, Kobe and on and on.

Its can't just be about who was winning the titles, what about the guys who were underneath them? I think I'd be fairly easy to cull together a list of top 25 DOA players and, guess what - I might not even be one of em.

Hell, heres a top 15 mock list with no explanations as to why they are where they are (The only ones I'd put thought into were the top 6 by the way)
1) Perfect Legend
2) Black Mamba
3) Master
4) Offbeat Ninja
5) Hatrify
6) Rikuto
7) Vigaku
8) Ninja CW
9) Shin Ryujin
10) Taikou
11) Dave Cheppelle
12) CaliJared
13) Rabies
14) Nefarious Sage
15) Accurate

It isn't really that hard especially once you admit that if you were great online you were great offline (The caveat being that maybe you abused Kasumi or Hitomi's online BS. . .or you're Subway using Tengu with a suspect connection.)

Once again you miss the entire point. I don't care if you are good online because that proves nothing. ANYONE can sit at the house and be like, "I'm the best" or "I'm one of the best".

Leaving your home and winning offline will always be the truth of if you are any good or not. I'm not saying they are bad if they online play online but you can't put that player on the same world as an offline player. You can't put the kid at the playground dunking on kids at the same level as the pros.

I mean I could literally sit here and come up with a very accurate list on the top 10 players but we already know who they are so there is no point lol

Jefffcore

I don't think that basketball analogy was accurate. Obviously offline is where the proof is, but there's a line between someone who's only ever played online versus someone who's played offline but never been to a tournament. Just about everyone playing online right now would have to completely re learn the game because all they do is abuse things, but that being said, I think a few would surprise you.

Relius Starkiller

Once again you miss the entire point. I don't care if you are good online because that proves nothing. ANYONE can sit at the house and be like, "I'm the best" or "I'm one of the best".

Leaving your home and winning offline will always be the truth of if you are any good or not. I'm not saying they are bad if they online play online but you can't put that player on the same world as an offline player. You can't put the kid at the playground dunking on kids at the same level as the pros.

I mean I could literally sit here and come up with a very accurate list on the top 10 players but we already know who they are so there is no point lol

No I get the point, YOU don't care and many others here may subscribe to that theory but it doesn't hold water.

How many top offline players were terrible online? Every single great offline player is great online. This has been proven time and again that once online players come offline they are just as good as they were online - We all started our competitive DOA careers online anyway.

Can you even name (perceived) top online player who came offline and stunk it up?

So online isn't exactly a playground. . .its more of a college system to offline's NBA league. Your best basketball players always translate just fine to NBA play, same with online to offline in DOA. Look at Lebron James for example - everyone KNEW when he came out off highschool he was going to be one of the top 10 players in the league without ever lining up against the NBA's elite. What he was doing, even if it was in highschool against suspect talent, was impressive.

A better analogy to the playground is your offline get together. Not everyone knows the game well enough to be competitive there but, online you're squaring off against the best the world has to offer on a nightly basis.

Also, everyone doesn't know who the top ten are. Top 4, yeah - top 10, there has been no consensus.

But to cap it off I think a list of 25 of top players from yesteryear would probably only have 2 or 3 online only players anyway and their lack of accomplishment would ensure they don't break the top 15 or 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD