DOA5 after 6 months - what worked and what didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverKhaos

What worked? All the things.

What didn't work? All the things. :) really only thing lacking is the hold recoveries. Not enough frame advantage and not a lot of guaranteed setups that you can utilize. Lastly... force techs imo are just... yeah... not good and the ground game is still laughable.

Agreed. Force techs in general are just....why?

Akumasama

360 has custom soundtracks...
Yes and No.
Xbox has a cross-game custom sound function, handled directly from the Xbox SO.
When you enable it you completely disable the game soundtrack.
Which means you will have random tracks played randomly, it's quite different from having an in-game custom soundtrack feature.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
My only rant at the moment is....
- No Legendary Black Ranger costume for Zack
- No Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme for DLC

That's all me and Awesmic ask TN :rolleyes:

Blazeincarnated

My only rant at the moment is....
- No Legendary Black Ranger costume for Zack
- No Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme for DLC

That's all me and Awesmic ask TN :rolleyes:

goldranger.jpg

This all I want for Zack. TN make it happen!

KwonJigglypuff

Must admit that space suit would really suit Helena.. I mean, you know, with texture moulding her ass, the ponytail flowly hanging behind the helmet, i find it nice.

Justice

Wait, Ed Boon takes risks? Since when?

His game never sold on gameplay, it sold on gimmicks and he's been doing that since MK1.
I tried to leave this one alone. I really did.....

You are seriously going to come into a DoA forum and snub another game for selling on gimmicks?

Besides, he may make his money on "gimmicks", but the fgc supports his game based on gameplay. The first games are still played as side tourneys after 20+ years and MK9 is still drawing decent numbers after 3 years as a main game.

NightAntilli

Gimmicks aren't bad... the most popular fighting games all have fireballs and teleports and I'd love to see more of this stuff in DOA. Right now the game is basically just tits and ninjas. If they're going to keep the gameplay so "gambly" in DOA6 at least give people more interesting characters. Ogres, robots, angels, etc. I think that's the number 1 reason Tekken and MK are so popular and almost nobody plays VF or DOA.
The reason those games are popular is because they are 2D fighters, not because of the fireballs. 3D fighters are less popular than 2D in general. 3D fighters with fireballs do just as 'bad' as 3D fighters without fireballs. Take all those DBZ fighting games for example... DOA really doesn't need projectiles. The only thing that will do is make the game a lot harder to balance, and it already has balance issues. Also, I prefer if they keep the retarded stuff out. Tengu alone is more than enough. I'd prefer if they (and we) focus on the mechanics rather than these weird creature inclusions.

Sadly, mechanics alone do not make more people play a game. In my opinion, Tekken has the worst mechanics, DOA is in the middle, while VF has the best mechanics of the bunch, and yet VF seems to be the least favorite of the three, and Tekken the most popular... I'm glad they added VF characters in DOA, for the sake of both games. I think it added interest to the other franchise from both sides.

Reikou

Sadly, mechanics alone do not make more people play a game. In my opinion, Tekken has the worst mechanics, DOA is in the middle, while VF has the best mechanics of the bunch, and yet VF seems to be the least favorite of the three, and Tekken the most popular... I'm glad they added VF characters in DOA, for the sake of both games. I think it added interest to the other franchise from both sides.

Game balance and mechanics are irrelevant to get people to play the game. and you definitely won't pull people in to playing a game just because its "balanced."

Its more important to have a "community," and "ease of access" to build up that community like League of Legends.

I think in this day and age, it is also important for the game to have viewers or spectators on streams, which is also tied in to the community aspect.

Perhaps one thing that could happen is if TK/TN released a demo version of the game similar to the current DOA5+ demo on the PSVita, to all the major consoles. Some limited features, limited character selection, but access to play online, etc. It would be very helpful for building up the community in my opinion.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I tried to leave this one alone. I really did.....

You are seriously going to come into a DoA forum and snub another game for selling on gimmicks?

Besides, he may make his money on "gimmicks", but the fgc supports his game based on gameplay. The first games are still played as side tourneys after 20+ years and MK9 is still drawing decent numbers after 3 years as a main game.

Where did I snub the game, exactly?

It doesn't sell on its gameplay. It sells for its gimmicks. Thats the only reason they have been able to pump out game after game for so many years.

Having decent gameplay does help grow the games sales in the long term, but if you removed good gameplay it maintains a more than profitable margin. It's not insulting to say this, and I'm grateful that Ed did something for the FGC after so many years, but let's be real.

He went a decade without giving a damn, because it didn't noticeably effect his bottom line. He's going on faith now that in the future, this will. And at the same time, he didn't really take much of any risk by doing it. The gimmicks are all intact.

Justice

It doesn't sell on its gameplay. It sells for its gimmicks. Thats the only reason they have been able to pump out game after game for so many years.

Having decent gameplay does help grow the games sales in the long term, but if you removed good gameplay it maintains a more than profitable margin. It's not insulting to say this, and I'm grateful that Ed did something for the FGC after so many years, but let's be real.

He went a decade without giving a damn, because it didn't noticeably effect his bottom line. He's going on faith now that in the future, this will. And at the same time, he didn't really take much of any risk by doing it. The gimmicks are all intact.
I can agree with most of this. Like DoA, MK has been around long enough that it has it's core fans and when MK9 came out with it's return to the classic 2d style and whatnot, we were there to support it. Also like DoA, certain things have become synonimous with MK, admittedly a lot of this are the gimmicks. But also was that MK was the fastest game at the time in terms of gameplay and is also widely regarded as one of the easiest games to get into.

I mean, no game is going to sell almost 4 million copies on gimmicks alone. And quite frankly, MK's gimmicks get old pretty quick. If it wasn't for the fast and visually stimulating gameplay, MK wouldn't still be played worldwide.

Take the gimmicks away and what do you have? Like how much do you think DoA would sell without the boobs? Or even keep the boobs but make the roster 25% female which seems to be the norm these days? At the end of the day, there are people that can see past the gimmicks and I think today's gamer is smart enough to see past the gimmicks and find the underlying game. But then there's SFxT............

extravagant

I love everything about DoA5.

I've played fighting games competitively since CvS2, 3S, and SF4 times (in which SF4 is most recent) and I gotta say that I love this game, I have no real complaints about it.

I think it's a really fun game that rewards smart thinking and intense risk vs reward opportunities in every match that pumps your adrenaline. I've played Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Soul Calibur IV, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Street Fighter x Tekken, and I gotta say that DoA5 is better than them all, at least for me.

I still love CvS2 and SF4, and DoA5 is probably more fun than SF4 IMO.

Blazeincarnated

Its all about niches. If you don't have a niche, how you gon sell that game? And to top it off most games don't sell on the gameplay, they sell on personality. If your game doesn't have life in it, how else would it survive? Ahem, *cough* Virtua Fighter *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD