Media DOA5U Akira Video Thread

KING JAIMY

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've been messing around with Akira's 214P in the lab and it does guarantee a lot of things. It's still a pretty good move despite the nerfs it received in LR.
It's still one of his best moves, hands down. I have a question though: When / why would one use his other sitdown stun (43P) when his 214P is so superior? Is there a use for 43P at all?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's still one of his best moves, hands down. I have a question though: When / why would one use his other sitdown stun (43P) when his 214P is so superior? Is there a use for 43P at all?

Because 43P is a faster move and has bait purposes regarding the stance function it carries, which leads to a +6 GB or a safe mid punch after the stance. 43P also guaranteeds the devil's punch (666P) and can allow the 3H+K DLC combo regardless of whether it's open stance or closed stance. 214P overall is tons better since it's +1 on block but it's not a move you want to constantly throw out there all the time if it becomes a habit. Not to mention that 43P is also only -1 without the stance. 214P is without a doubt way better..but not a move you want to constantly throw out there. Opponents can also figure out it's advantage so you might as well have both. 43P even closes the gap between you and the opponent for the initial stun.

My only gripe with 43P is that it has one of those poor hit detection issues. Ex: If both you and the opponent throw out the same speed move within almost the same proximity and almost the same type of move within range, chances are that the opponent will have the hit connected before Akira does. Another example of this is Akira's 6P. This was a move that was suppose to be the gap closer and strike for a whiff punish CH, but there are cases to where Akira can get hit out of this when he is not even exactly close to the opponent. I even did the damage test and Akira has a slightly higher damage output than the ones I tested with the same speed of the move and he still either falls down or gets hit for a CH stun.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've been messing around with Akira's 214P in the lab and it does guarantee a lot of things. It's still a pretty good move despite the nerfs it received in LR.

Good stuff, I could of sworn there was all the details about all the guaranteeds for 214P, but you made a video which is a bit better and really good for visual players. You could attach it there too right to it so that people could see how they look like.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Because 43P is a faster move and has bait purposes regarding the stance function it carries, which leads to a +6 GB or a safe mid punch after the stance. 43P also guaranteeds the devil's punch (666P) and can allow the 3H+K DLC combo regardless of whether it's open stance or closed stance. 214P overall is tons better since it's +1 on block but it's not a move you want to constantly throw out there all the time if it becomes a habit. Not to mention that 43P is also only -1 without the stance. 214P is without a doubt way better..but not a move you want to constantly throw out there. Opponents can also figure out it's advantage so you might as well have both. 43P even closes the gap between you and the opponent for the initial stun.

My only gripe with 43P is that it has one of those poor hit detection issues. Ex: If both you and the opponent throw out the same speed move within almost the same proximity and almost the same type of move within range, chances are that the opponent will have the hit connected before Akira does. Another example of this is Akira's 6P. This was a move that was suppose to be the gap closer and strike for a whiff punish CH, but there are cases to where Akira can get hit out of this when he is not even exactly close to the opponent.
Thanks for your reply. I usually keep quiet about moves with frame advantage during battle and score so many counter hits with this tool. I might have to check my replays again and see if I can use more mix-ups other than 214P to fish for counter hits. Same story goes for Jacky's 2P+K on block. It grants +1 but is relatively slow. It's an example of a move which should definitely be used quite often, but is not be overrelied on.

KING JAIMY

I only watched the Christie vs Akira match so my comments may not be transferable to the other matches you posted.

His Akira is really good. I'm amazed by how consistently he can pull off instant double palms and 1 frame knees. His zoning and whiff punishment is absolutely outstanding as well and he makes good use of frame traps. What I have noticed however is that he is easily tricked by delays and that his response to lows isn't optimal. I also don't see him slow escaping your stuns, although that may be a mechanic he still has to learn properly. Tech rolling also isn't prevalent in his game which leaves him vulnerable against ground strikes and force techs.

Examples in the video where he was caught off guard by your delays: 0:40, 1:16, 2:24, 2:50, 2:57
Examples in the video where he didn't block lows: 0:42, 0:58, 1:08, 2:52

Overall he plays really well though and I can really see him growing to a high level player. Hopefully my comments prove useful.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I only watched the Christie vs Akira match so my comments may not be transferable to the other matches you posted.

His Akira is really good. I'm amazed by how consistently he can pull off instant double palms and 1 frame knees. His zoning and whiff punishment is absolutely outstanding as well and he makes good use of frame traps. What I have noticed however is that he is easily tricked by delays and that his response to lows isn't optimal. I also don't see him slow escaping your stuns, although that may be a mechanic he still has to learn properly. Tech rolling also isn't prevalent in his game which leaves him vulnerable against ground strikes and force techs.

Examples in the video where he was caught off guard by your delays: 0:40, 1:16, 2:24, 2:50, 2:57
Examples in the video where he didn't block lows: 0:42, 0:58, 1:08, 2:52

Overall he plays really well though and I can really see him growing to a high level player. Hopefully my comments prove useful.
Thanks for the tips, I'll pass these on to him! He fought pretty well in all the matches, but overall I felt that his matches against my Hitomi were the most competitive, and has encouraged me to try and level her up a bit. I've always suspected that his offense is pretty much fine at this point, and any losses are due to defense-related falters, which is understandable for only about a month of play.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
His gameplay and how he approaches a character isn't a problem here (not a major one as far as I can tell), Someone had to have given him streams of JPN play because I see some old 5U combos in there in terms of weight situations and extensions which still works till this day because people in general will always fall for them, there is no escape to them. I mean shit even I do them because everybody in the planet will try to hold... however there is way too much focus on that particular play (took me mid-way until end of 5U to realize that), your friend needs thought process to develop his own style of situations and scenarios where he wants to condition opponent to fall for things while not being disadvantage too much in the long run. Setups, oki, baits etc.

Overall he's doing fine. Idea for whiff punishments needs to stay, keep that as well. Shit if anything works keep doing it. He just needs to play more differently and find a different basis to absorb things in terms of approach, not direct JPN play because some of their stuff can be killed and I've seen plenty of streams where Akira was blown out the water because of a heavily focused type of play.

Another issue (which is not necessarily bad at all, the world is big so it's understandable) is that there isn't a player to condition him on a phase for "This is what you get for doing this too much." There needs to be a scenario where a match becomes a whole different ball game with someone punishing Akira strings and stun locking him which forces the Akira player to finding a different way to dealing with the situation to let them know that my X/Y approach isn't working right now. This is one of the best ways to improve because a losing battle is a learning battle. Kwiggs wants to play me this week to run games so if your friend has PS4 FoN I'll be on to play or SlyBass and all the Akira players in the forums.

I am glad he is using Akira. That alone makes us happy, it provides hope that there is someone who is willing to sit down to play the character and to never give up. Keep at it far away Akira player. Don't give up.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
His gameplay and how he approaches a character isn't a problem here (not a major one as far as I can tell), Someone had to have given him streams of JPN play because I see some old 5U combos in there in terms of weight situations and extensions which still works till this day because people in general will always fall for them, there is no escape to them. I mean shit even I do them because everybody in the planet will try to hold... however there is way too much focus on that particular play (took me mid-way until end of 5U to realize that), your friend needs thought process to develop his own style of situations and scenarios where he wants to condition opponent to fall for things while not being disadvantage too much in the long run. Setups, oki, baits etc.

Overall he's doing fine. Idea for whiff punishments needs to stay, keep that as well. Shit if anything works keep doing it. He just needs to play more differently and find a different basis to absorb things in terms of approach, not direct JPN play because some of their stuff can be killed and I've seen plenty of streams where Akira was blown out the water because of a heavily focused type of play.

Another issue (which is not necessarily bad at all, the world is big so it's understandable) is that there isn't a player to condition him on a phase for "This is what you get for doing this too much." There needs to be a scenario where a match becomes a whole different ball game with someone punishing Akira strings and stun locking him which forces the Akira player to finding a different way to dealing with the situation to let them know that my X/Y approach isn't working right now. This is one of the best ways to improve because a losing battle is a learning battle. Kwiggs wants to play me this week to run games so if your friend has PS4 FoN I'll be on to play or SlyBass and all the Akira players in the forums.

I am glad he is using Akira. That alone makes us happy, it provides hope that there is someone who is willing to sit down to play the character and to never give up. Keep at it far away Akira player. Don't give up.

Just noticed this. I usually tried to save the matches where the gameplay was relatively balanced for better samples. Would you like me to save some replays where I 3-0 him for contrast?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Just noticed this. I usually tried to save the matches where the gameplay was relatively balanced for better samples. Would you like me to save some replays where I 3-0 him for contrast?

You can if you want, however It's more towards the general base simply because 'you play different' towards the Akira player, so he's trying to adapt to "you". When you play someone in a repeated process you develop the situation to conditioning yourself against "that particular opponent". (Not everyone of course but people in general play/react differently at times. Only part that's the same is the juggle, setups you do. Sometimes often, sometimes not...depends on the player) When you play someone like Emann or Kwiggs or whoever you had in mind, we've come to the realization that one person plays much different than the other and forces you to proceed things off the fly to develop your own situations because one scenario could work for this player however difficult to try it on another due to their own way of approaching the game in neutral or stun locking, even holding reactions are different for everyone because they expect one thing over the other.

Basically what I mean is, he needs the conditioning factor of having something with a little bit of "both." where if plan A doesn't work, plan B could work and may have to rely on his own approach while still scoring in the long run. (Ex: You do a string here and Kwiggs will attempt to hold it here, however Emann prefers to SS that last hit. Both players responded to you differently and approached differently that didn't go to your favor either way. The player has to come up with a situation that deals with loss of momentum from getting held or getting stepped into a stun. Basically dealing with both.)

Is there any other player besides you @Force_of_Nature over there who gives him issues? the more players the better for him to adapt more situations.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD