doa5u impressions thread

Omegan Eckhart

Helena:
P(P) causes a bind state.
New move 6P+K > P causes a bind state.
BT PPPP causes a bind state.
New sit down stun that leaves her in BKO is +44, even with fastest SE this should guarantee CB. :(
F+K and BT PPK can be cancelled into BKO.
8PP, 6P and 3PP can be cancelled into BT.
New move 66F+K puts Helena in BKO and works as a re launcher in singles as well as tag.
Her go to force tech combo 33P4P > 6P no longer works as 6P doesn't force tech. Although BKO 2K, BT 4K and BT 66K still force tech.

That's all I've seen so far.

Last edited:

Zeo

I'll try to keep this brief on all my mains.

:ein:

Hype to watch but getting down to the nitty gritty I'm disappointed.

+ 3H+K is a GB and it needed to be so I'm happy.
+ 46K is a GB but I don't know how much advantage it gives, hopefully more than +1
+ He has both standing and crouching OHs. gg Brad, Helena and Christie.
+ He wasn't punished once for his strings that end with 6PK, safe?!
+ 7P Looks to guarantee 46P which is great, doubt you'll get good players with 7P on block though.

- 8P Causes a bound that looks to only give him 6KK instead of a Sit down stun. Why use this instead of a launch ever?
- 8K is the same as 8P, why over a launch ever especially when his mid kick launchers are faster?
- 4K is it's DOAD counterpart, not 13 frames but 16 or so, huge nerf and if it's unsafe that's even worse.
- He was going to be largely
- Don't know if 2P is still +1 on NH, worried it's not.
- Obvious 6P+K speed nerf.
- 4K could possibly only guarantee PPP or 6KK, it launched the opponent too far away on CH and I saw 3P whiff.

The end result, I didn't see anything particularly scary and not a single guaranteed damage situation. Seriously hoping he's better than he looks. We could be looking at a mid-low tier Ein.

:akira:

Nerfed. That is all.

+ Sidestep K has the followup 6P4K has now. Nice I suppose.
+? New sidestep like move with his elbow, maybe a guard break?

- 16F+P no longer guarantees the P followup. You can try shenanigans delaying the punch but it's negative on block and the low kick variant is holdable and causes basically no stun. Say goodbye to hi counter throw to CB huge damage combos. His throw game is officially trash.

- 66P no longer causes a wall slam, some could see it as a buff but I see it as a nerf as you're forced to guess yet again if you want your opponent to go into that wall for guaranteed damage.

- 2P no longer causes the stun it did on CH which means no more 2P > 66P or 2P > 346P. If they hold the block button you will be left at disadvantage now.

I'd like to say we have to be more honest now but there were already tons of lows that stunned on NH, I feel these nerfs were largely uneeded and generally unhappy about what they did to him. Nothing about him was "broken" and he was still under a good few characters in this game. He might have one new trick or two but he was nerfed and will probably drop a tier.

:hayate:

Saw this guy the least but I'll cover what I saw. He got it the best of my three.

+ Teleport is back through cancels, not sure how useful they'll be but he still gets BT combos which makes him potentially scary now with his mixups.

+ 6P and 66P has the old DOA3 flip kick cancel. Not sure how useful it'll be but if it's safe then that would be a pretty useful way out of it, also potentially a good mixup to use to get your opponent into a wall.

+ F+K causes a turnaround stun now which sets up for a GUARANTEED CB combo, be VERY afraid.

- P+K/SS P causes a weird bound now instead of a SDS. Nerf sucks but he can survive it with all the buffs he's gotten.

- 236T > 7K was obviously nerfed. Lost it's close hit properties and toned the damage down. I abused this but it was a fair nerf I can't argue with. He got some good offensive tools to make up for it.

There are probably a lot more changes I haven't seen but from what I gathered he's probably better off now. Definitely a lot different but hopefully for the better. He's definitely got it the best out of my main 3 right now.

Waiting for more info on them, maybe on the 22nd and eventually on the 3rd when they are in my very hands. Worst case scenario they'll all be mid tier or lower.

David Gregg

Wanted to believe he was at least as good as he was in vanilla (which wasn't good at all) but Eliot got nerfed. :(

Team Ninja please have mercy on this character he's literally the joke of the series if you could at least give him a few safer moves + guaranteed damage I would appreciate it. Xcaliburbladez confirmed that 6H+K is no longer safe on block this needs fixed asap. He has few tools as it is. And get rid of that stupid tracking mid kick it's awkward, slow, easily countered and does absolutely nothing.

So I'm rewatching the stream and noticed that in Christie's move set she has a throw from JKO. 66 Throw. I don't know what it is or what it does but I don't care. MORE OPTIONS, ALL D OPTIONS!

DontForkWitMe

still boggles my mind TN actually nerfed eliot after all the bitching about him being garbage in vanilla. hes pretty much a waste of a character slot now at this point.

As for Leon he looks to have gotten nothing but buffs over DOA4/Dimensions

+ UNBLOCKABLE ARM GRENADE! requires a full charge but its still causes a GB without charging it

+ Bunch of other new chargeable moves that give guardbreaks, don't know how much advantage but someone on stream said his full charged 2H+K is a guard crush that gives him advantage and a guaranteed 6pp

+ multiple new launchers

+ vastly improved air grab setups. no longer is he restricted to play the stun game into max threshold launch to land it and single 214P's are enough for them. plus he can throw opponents in all directions now

+ kept pretty much all his sitdown stuns from 4.don't know if he gets anything guaranteed from them though

+ His P+K CB attack is chargeable and at full charge it gives instant CB unholdable stun

the only downside i spot for him so far is that his new ground bounce throw isn't a command grab and is his P+K hit throw. would've vastly preferred it to be a command throw as a counter hold punish into instant air throw setup...otherwise im satisfied with him

TakedaZX

Well, everyone knows that I play Hayate so I'll make it short: The changes were good, but I still remain unimpressed.

Team-Ninja did questionable things to him between DOA4 to 5. They gave him gimmicky things without completing them (i.e the Wind Dash DOA5 Style, great concept but it was executed poorly. At the cost of his best damaging safe poke, he got a stance with a 32 frame mid kick 2 in 1 launcher, 34 frame uppercut (both unsafe), high punch for frame advantage, and a throw to get good damage like Kasumi's 33T). This problem of it feeling incomplete could've been solved with integrating his wind dash into certain stuns so that he could mix-up into a 50/50 launcher, and instead of taking away the launcher to try and take the easy way out on giving back the poke, they could've given back 4H+K as a raw move and kept the wind dash launcher in its DOA5.01 form... it would've been good.

Also his last wind dash that wasn't gimmicks and was actually GOOD at covering distance was taken away even though it served very well as means to an entry while the new wind dash serves as more of a means to an end since it's simply, launch, juggle and so forth. This shouldn't have been the thing to make him lose his original dash. He lost really good moves that gave him an identity with that...

He needs work to re-piece together what they broke apart in DOA3/DOA4/ and DOA5... but Team-Ninja does questionable things... even with Ein they did questionable things but... we'll have to see what happens... Ein looks worse and Hayate looks better but they both look like a total bust.

Leon looks fucking crazy though. I will play him. Only thing I want to see added to him is Spartan's 5 hit strings since they're moves from Bayman and Leon mashed into a long string anyway.

Eliot's nerfs were dumb. They should've made all variants of BT 2K for him track, and for this knew mid kick to be scrapped and replace it with a kick like Hitomi's 6H+K that chains straight into 1P[P] or into 1K's mix-ups (So 1PP2K would = 4KP2K assuming the tracking kick's input is 4K. The BT combo and 7P nerfs make no sense. Why is he getting punished with disadvantage for hitting someone for not blocking? His parries also should've been upgraded to Gen-fu status even though his damage output isn't as crazy. Move up the advantage by 1, and you get 8P to land (deep stun, low damage and threshold possibility) or 66P (short stun, medium high damage and threshold possibility). He's supposed to take Gen=fu's place right? Lets start here.

I could talk more about characters but I'm posting this from my ps3 not my pc so... it's very laggy and tough to deal with. So, I'll end off with, the loss of most foced techs is nice but the thing is, I wanted to see some form of really good oki, rather than a techable tap that might result in you getting low throw punished. I want to harass my opponent for falling to the ground in front of me until they get up correctly, rather than having to deal with the unrealisticness of beating out someone who's on the ground (except with a correctly guessed hold), but alas... that's just me.

All of these changes are just so questionable... with the only real redeeming factor being that the game looks pretty... and Leon...

Omegan Eckhart

I need to do more research but it is possible that Helena's FT game has been completely removed.

6P no longer works, and I have seen BKO 2K and BT 66K whiff through the opponent.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Anyone played Hayabusa?
Hayabusa has a changed H+KKK. Different kick animation on 3rd K and no longer guard breaks.

He also got some kind of gap closer kick (may be the H+KKK). Moves distance really quickly and has a very fast and weird spin animation.

Couldn't really tell you much otherwise (PP4PK change already mentioned somewhere no doubt.

ninjaguy446

My post from the Helena thread:

DOA5U Helena is going to play very differently from DOA5 Helena because of the removal of her PFTs after handslaps. She still has potential FTs (BKO 2K, BT 66K, BT 4K) but I don't think she's centered around it. She now has DISGUSTING buffs. I was not able to test it with stagger escape, but it will be VERY useful. 66P now stunning is so nasty, I will feel bad for using it. In terms of dealing with wakeup kicks, she'll always have BKO duck and 9K. I was not able to test if her 66H+K (new kick move) can consistently avoid low kicks. Helena's 6P AND 8PP lead to back turned now. This will greatly improve Helena's already good mixups. H+K and it's variants now lead into BKO, making the Guard Crush even better than before. When moving around, Helena feels smoother. Helena's cop outfit is sexy. Get Hype.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD