DOA5U Needs to Return to the DOA++/DOA2/DOA3 Style Stun System

DOA5U Needs to Return to the DOA++/DOA2/DOA3 Style Stun System

• Total voters

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
No there isn't. The game comes out in just over 3 months. They're not going to rebalance the entire game, an overhaul of system and characters both, at this point in time.

Considering how quickly they changed it from E3 2012 to launch (September 2012), it's about the same time frame that we have here and may not be completely out of the question. At the very least though, they could still use the results of this debate to change the game post-launch. That way, even if they do have to release DOA5U with the DOA4/5 stun game, they could at least still change it to a more DOA2/3-ish system after launch.

I missed out on the glory days of DOA2 and DOA3, but even from just watching videos 3.1 and 2U and reading what all of you vets have said about it over the past year, I completely agree that the old system seems to be much better and more solid than the current one. People tend to dislike DOA because it's too random and guess heavy. Bringing back the old system would likely get more people to actually give a shit about DOA and help the community grow. Certainly no bad can come from that.

Dave

I don't see them altering the game's mechanics with this installment. The only way they'll be changing something like this is for Dead or Alive 6. Ultimate is just going to be full of extra content. I can't vote because I have never really played on an extensive level before in Dead or Alive before now. I can't sit here and tell you I noticed a difference in the systems because it's been such a long time and I didn't put in the effort in 2-4 like I am now.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I don't see them altering the game's mechanics with this installment. The only way they'll be changing something like this is for Dead or Alive 6. Ultimate is just going to be full of extra content.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, we still need to make sure they know that we want it changed.

SchwarzPhy

It's not like they would have to redo the entire system, all they would have to do is change some numbers. Of course there would be balance issues but you can rebalance through patches.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Interesting. Is that why the launches seemed so much better in DOA3? A launch after one stun would be around the middle of the threshold instead of the beginning.

Well, in DOA3 launches seemed so much better because they were pretty much the same launch height with or without the stun system. With a few exceptions though. Like in DOA3 Bass' 9K launched higher on NB than on CB or HCB (or in stun - vis a vie CB).

Ghosty-J

Regardless of how much id love see the DOA3 stun system make its return i dont see them making drastic changes like that with DOA5U. What i could imagine, even though the chances are pretty slim in my opinion, is that they kinda take a step into the E3 build direction and change the way sitdowns etc. and CBs are implemented into the game.
Wishful thinking, but what I'm hoping they would do is increase the recovery time of sitdown stuns or make them completely unholdable completely. The cast has to work hard to get such a setup and not many are able to make a guaranteed followup from it. Or better yet, they should go back to the E3 build's stun threshold setup. This feels like the whole DoA4 beta build to final product situation all over again.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I don't see them altering the game's mechanics with this installment. The only way they'll be changing something like this is for Dead or Alive 6.
Didn't people bitch loud enough about Ninja Gaiden 3 for them to alter the game's mechanics enough in Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? I really want this to be the same case where we get a drastically different playing game, for the better, rather than a basic re-release with a few pieces of additional content that could've easily been DLC.

MrMoon360

Help me convince them. There's still time to make this game so much better.

While I agree COMPLETELY, I know its just not going to happen with DOA5. For one thing, if that system returns, there would be ZERO need for powerblow or especially critical bursts. That's pretty much the core to their stun system and gimmick for innovation.
They did some things right (or should I say few things?).
I love sidestep.

But pretty much everything else though....

Didn't people bitch loud enough about Ninja Gaiden 3 for them to alter the game's mechanics enough in Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? I really want this to be the same case where we get a drastically different playing game, for the better, rather than a basic re-release with a few pieces of additional content that could've easily been DLC.

There's only a certain amount of things they did right with NG3RE. In my opinion, its still bare minimum better than the original NG3. Its like you can tell when a developer is forced to add something by the community or when its their own ambition/vision that drives a mechanic. The AI in NG3RE is much more cheap than difficult imo. I may sound picky, but I also feel I'm playing Dynasty Warriors with the general linearity of the game and enemy spawns.
NG1 was so different.. (ahem and better)

Anyway.

As far as DOA getting what it needs, its just too much for DOA5U. The entire vision of the game needs to change, become less complex, and I just don't see it happening with powerblow and critical bursts being necessary or even usable.

Gill Hustle

As far as DOA getting what it needs, its just too much for DOA5U. The entire vision of the game needs to change, become less complex, and I just don't see it happening with powerblow and critical bursts being necessary or even usable.

This is a good point and something I worried about for changing the system.

PB's have GB properties if they connect on block, maybe some other attributes could be added to them.

For one the Tekken series (Nettsu) and SFxTekken (Special cancel) let you charge up and get counter hit properties if you are not hit by anything for your next attack. Maybe if they tweaked the PB Cancel the same way somehow they could change the stun game some but still let you do CB combos with this.

MrMoon360

This is a good point and something I worried about for changing the system.

PB's have GB properties if they connect on block, maybe some other attributes could be added to them.

I like where that made my head go.
Maybe if the critical burst moves change functionality across the board and become one hit unholdable stuns, much like VF stuns.

MrMoon360

Also the Power Blow SS cancel and normal SS should maybe have different properties.

Virtua Fighter's defensive move is the best SS I've ever used in any fighter. If DOA got that, along with improvement of the tracking system, it'd help big time in the defense department without having to rely on holds so much.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD