DoA6 vs DoA5

extravagant

Hello, I played DoA5 vanilla to LR pretty competitively and when transitioning to DoA6 I was able to see that the game was "sort of the same" but different. I definitely miss the power blows and critical burst of DoA5, I felt DoA5 was really great. I also miss DoA5's diverse costume selection, at the moment in DoA6 all we get is "reused DoA5 costumes" that we have to grind and work our asses off to get costume parts for. Seriously, DoA6's costume hunting is a huge pain, it was already quite a chore in DoA5 because you still had to beat the game many many time in order to get character costumes. Now they're even more strict and scattered everywhere, it's seriously annoying and frustrating. I have to rely on bodying people on ranked matches to get some decent costumes.

One thing I really missed from DoA5 is the multiple win poses? I feel like DoA6 just has the same win pose every time, I've never seen a different one as of yet, whereas DoA5 had a multitude of different win poses and quotes. Is this something they will fix later or no?

I feel like the music in DoA5 was better. Sure, it had some cheesy integrated hip hop and rock moments, but it was how do you say, it fit the theme for these characters well. In DoA6 they basically reused all the assets and changed the lighting and shading, and just added different music. I do like how the KOs in DoA6 has slow motion now though. But so far, DoA5 had a lot more cinematic KO moments, like during sudden quick attacks that end the fight in a flashy way, DoA5 had those flashy angles from multiple angles to show the player's skill and cinematic art.

I will however say DoA6 is a great game, and it's definitely more fun. I'm just not used to all the new system stuff yet, like the Fatal Crush and the Super Meter. DoA6 is pretty much to me almost the same game but with slight differences, slight graphical updates, musical changes, system changes, and no power blow. What do you guys think?

extravagant

If you think it's the same game with a few changes, then you probably don't understand the games enough mechanically.

To be honest, yeah I don't fully grasp the understanding of this new game yet. I jumped into ranked matches and starting win streaking 12's 10's and 11's and that was just based off of prior DoA5 experience, even now I am still able to beat most players doing some DoA5 combos and shenanigans. However, after watching some of the pros playing, I see them doing some crazy shit. Such as doing a long combo string, then doing the fatal break/super, and then adding ANOTHER long combo streak on top, which took like 75% damage, which was incredible. In essence it looks like a really long fancy combo, so I'd like to look into it and investigate more.

I really don't like DoA6's current costume selection though, almost 60% of all costumes are just color changes. but I mean, they've had this even since earlier DoA games right?

zoo

I personally prefer DOA5, not only because it had more content but I had more fun with it. Even from the first version it was already a pretty huge step from 4 and introduced new mechanics and features. I enjoy the power blow/critical burst mechanic since they add on to DOA's simplicity quite well, even making the game cooler to look at. The virtua fighter characters only added to it. Biggest issue for vanilla 5 was the decline in cool stages but as a whole felt so focused in tone and what it wanted to achieve. LR fixed a lot of things and is the best DOA by far imo. Sure it went overboard on the costumes/fanservice down the line but as a game it was a great sequel to 4.

DOA6 is shaping to have a good future as well but I honestly can't recommend it at full price to non fans, which wasn't the case with 5. The gameplay changes were needed for a proper sequel, but as a product it's literally a game with less characters, stages, costumes and features (with the removal of tag).. the game doesn't even have lobbies atm. This is the quickest I've ever gotten bored with a DOA as it literally feels like I'm waiting for patches to unlock the full game. Arcade and Time Attack are pretty pointless now, the story was completely rushed and had little to do with where 5 left off, the costume system is the biggest turnoff imaginable and I can't understand how anyone working at TN would think to add it into the game. The break hold mechanic is meh and I'm not a fan of the new sidestep, but the meter does force you to play the game differently which is cool.

So atm I think 6 is inferior to 5 but we'll have to wait for the final release version to really say (which is dumb how that's the gaming world we live in now)

extravagant

I played the shit out of DoA5 on PS3, those were great times. I have to agree though, the aesthetic and theme they had for DoA5 seemed more fitting and in sync. In DoA6, lots of assets are being reused but they're trying to repackage it with different themes but it doesn't sit as nicely as DoA5 originally did. I can't explain it, but the soft engine and the calm nature that DoA5, and the cinematic awesomness of the power blow just seemed more fitting for the DoA5 assets.

If we compare vanilla DoA5 to vanilla DoA6 I can very well say DoA5 wins. DoA6 indeed feels like an incomplete game as far. When DoA5 first came out it felt like it had more to offer and more solid stand alone content.

For the costume system in DoA6, yeah honestly I think it's really really stupid. A positive way to put it is now is that not many players can access what you have, the average player isnt going to grind that ridiculous journey to get it. So for you to go through it and get it, means you earned it. I guess that can be edgy? But they should have never done that in the first place. imo.

I am excited to see where DoA6 will turn out in the long run, I'm hoping they can far surpass DoA5 though. Right now that havent yet.

d3v

I approach these games from a mechanical perspective, so of course I find 6 better than 5 in that regard. The stun system being reverted back to something more like games like 2U and 3 is great since we're now back to stun-launch combos, instead of having to play the stun game for max launch height. Sidesteps being buffed (or re-tracking being nerfed) was something that was a long time coming. The meter system is better than what we got in 5, since that was a half-assed comeback mechanic - one that required you to play the stun game for it to be used, which limited its versatility, without giving any sort of meaningful resource management (for some characters wth would you PB when PLs would net you more damage). The new Break system isn't necessarily a comeback mechanic, and Break Blows can be used in more situations, and even provide a Roman Cancel type mechanic allowing for extended relaunch combos. Meanwhile, there actually is meter management since the same bar powers Break Holds as well, so you have a choice of Break Hold early, or save the meter thinking you'll get a chance to cash out on it later on.

Raansu

I'm mixed on the mechanics. I think BB is way better than PB and I like the threshold being shorter. I dislike the change to pretty much all of the unholdable stuns in 5 being holdable now on top of a break hold mechanic which I still think should cost full meter. I don't think either 5 or 6 are better or worse from each other atm.

Omegan Eckhart

The game's fun, just feels a little hollow atm. I tend to only play one character, and so far I got nothing for her. But Honoka, I can deck that dumb, shrieking monster out in the finest attires, woven by only the blindest nuns.

I'm just waiting on the next patch. The addition of new win poses, and character unlocks working better might help flesh the game out a bit. As of now I've spent the last 12 days grinding through tasks for pattern pieces and playing ranked, also looking for pattern pieces coincidentally.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I feel like the music in DoA5 was better.
giphy.gif

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Gameplay wise I like how DOA 6 is more focused in neutral game and I feel DOA 6 original stages more interactive than DOA 5 original stages (but I think we all agree that almost everything from DOA2U, 3 and 4 is better than 5 and 6 stages).

Girls have the same amount of base costumes than in DOA 5 vanilla but boys don't, that is something they should improve (also for NiCO and Phase 4). Patterns unlock system is just ... awful, worst idea they ever had.

I like more DOA 6 music but ... I like more DOA 3 music lol so that are the themes I use.

Overall I like DOA 6 more than DOA 5 vanilla back at the day but is evident it has been rushed (like DOA 5).

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
They are both great games, but DOA5 is better.

It will be interesting to see what DOA6 grows into.

Reactions: YEH

prototypetom

I prefer 6 by margin. better fighting, better music, muuuuuuuch better education (a big deal to me).

the stages are a bit dull and the goodies like poses and outfits are really really lacking - but its arguably the stuff you want to be short on if you have to short on something. They can easily add that kind of value to the game in time.

But I'm just not optimistic - imo the game needs almost a season pass' worth of extras (excluding characters) just to bring it up to par. and given the ridiculous price they're asking for SP1, I don't expect they'll just patch in the stuff game needs. Lobbys will come of course, but i'm already hungry for DLC! I thought I'd be able to buy Phase4 at launch as I wanted a physical copy of the game - seems a weird thing to be denied. Happy to pay a fair price for her.

Hopefully the kinks will shake out before long. Still having a good time with it despite the failings. But if you're comparing the DOA5LR you just stopped playing as a package, to this, i'm not surprised some aren't feeling DOA6 yet.

N1ce Dreams

Fuck DoA 5. Loved it, but time to move on and DoA6 is the dogs balls. Same game only better, I really hope it gets good support cause the content we could get could be endless. e.g Stages, Characters, Costumes and I'd love more side stories added. (Of course I know it's gonna need some balancing over time)

Last edited:

extravagant

Biatch, don't you "oh no me" dat shiet. You know the fucking circus theme in DoA5 was funky as shit. It didn't take itself seriously and didn't need to. Plus, the same "hip hop" esque feel is still being used in DoA6 in that same kickboxing gym room stage that was recycled in DoA6. Haha, I'm teasing, but 5's music wasn't that bad bro. They had some cool stuff. The circus stage BGM is pretty cool actually

PhoenixVFIRE

The worst part of DOA6 has got to be how combos all look the same for many characters... even when you add in the Break Blow cancel, you're just doing another version of the combo you probably just did. Same bounce/launch into the bound into the close hit... ill never understand why every alternative i come up with or try to find, either doesn't work, or just does slightly less damage/or does the same but has inconsistent landing.

If we're gonna be stuck with bound combos, can we have some variety up in this bitch?

for example: any decent combo with helena always has her doing BT 4PK??? sometimes as much as 3-4 times in a combo... what is that!?? lol

Last edited:

Raansu

The worst part of DOA6 has got to be how combos all look the same for many characters... even when you add in the Break Blow cancel, you're just doing another version of the combo you probably just did. Same bounce/launch into the bound into the close hit... ill never understand why every alternative i come up with or try to find, either doesn't work, or just does slightly less damage/or does the same but has inconsistent landing.

If we're gonna be stuck with bound combos, can we have some variety up in this bitch?

for example: any decent combo with helena always has her doing BT 4PK??? sometimes as much as 3-4 times in a combo... what is that!?? lol

Ya, Hitomi never had that much creativity with her juggles, but they at least were not as boring as just doing the bound juggle over and over lol.

Akumasama

Power Blow and Critical Blow
I found Power Blows were, in terms of animations/aestethics, tipically cooler than the DoA6 counter parts, which are normally flashy but super speedy too, probably not to disrupt the fight flow too much, especially because you can use it multiple times in theory whereas Powerblows was once per round at specific moments.
I have mixed feelings.
There are things I liked about Power Blows (aestethics, once per round, no meter involved, low health) but I don't really miss them.

Critical Blows instead, while I wasn't even a big fan (I used them a lot on some chars, hardly ever on others) are something I'm sad to see gone. I feel like it was a cool mechanic, most of the time I felt I was more in "control", wether I was the attacker or the defender, compared to how I feel in DOA6 because of guaranteed stuff, less space for errors and no slow escape.
But then again it's probably just a matter of habits.
For instance I remember it took me months to feel myself "home" in DoA5 coming from playing 7 years with DoA4. I'm confident the same will happen for DoA6.

costumes stuff
The number (appearently huge, but realistically small because of the high amount of recolours) and the way to unlock costumes is annoying, there's no arguing with that.
Not trying to defend TecmoKoei now because I share your sentiment, but in the long run if DoA6 will last even half the time that DoA5 and DoA4 lasted (around 7 years) this won't really be an issue. Give it a couple of months max (if not earlier) and nobody will give a damn anymore and will have the majority of costumes unlocked, especially after the incoming patch.

One thing I really missed from DoA5 is the multiple win poses?[/quite]
Win poses and intro poses are mostly missing and it's such a shame, but I don't feel it's a "vital" part of the game. They HAD to cut something out to make sure the game could get released in March. We all would've preferred a launch in june or something, but that wasn't an option.
Given there was no choice, it's better they cut secondary stuff like this rather than core gameplay elements or characters.
Regardless: they already said they will add win/intro poses in 3 different FREE patches coming from march to may.
So you don't have to fear, it will come to us eventually :)

I feel like the music in DoA5 was better.
No I disagree with that.
With some exceptions the DoA5 music was so ordinary, with the general vibe steered towards the direction of cheesy hiphop/street music, which is something I personally can't stand so I guess that's why I'm biased.

I find DoA6 music to be in general much more vibrant with its own character and life.
It kinda surprised me at first, really good stuff if you ask me.

I do like how the KOs in DoA6 has slow motion now though.
That's kinda cool but I demand my right to move/act for a few seconds after the round is over! I can't believe I'm the only one who's been complaining about that lol xD

Akumasama

It's too early to comment, but so far I too have often got the feeling that atm combos are a bit too much focused on the bound+closehit thing. Makes things very repetitive from an aesthetic point of view, boring, dull, I dunno what else to say.
Might not be a big thing in terms of gameplay balance but... DoA was also that, cool and different combos. Making a certain "game system" too efficient of course steers every player into overusing that system which produces the result we're talking about.

I sincerily hope they're gonna address this somehow sooner or later.

On a side note, that Elliot combo where he throws you in the air and then juggles you back up with a simple punch (always the same) is still there and it looks SO UGLY, I can't stand how ridiculous that looks, wish they could fix it but I bet Elliot players would make a revolution if that happened lol

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Ya, Hitomi never had that much creativity with her juggles, but they at least were not as boring as just doing the bound juggle over and over lol.
You mean 33P 7PK KP isn't optimal outside of her 214KPP bound into BB? xD Because that's what I've been doing. 33P 7PK KP is the most reliable and adequate damage that works on basically everyone. And the 7PK KP is her 46H too... Really they could replace her name "Hitomi" with 7PK KP and I wouldn't know the difference.

Still loving the crap out of learning her though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD