EVO 2013: DoA5 has a shot! But there's a catch...

evo.jpg

So the EVO 2013 lineup was announced just moments ago on Wakeup SRK, and it's the largest EVO roster in years. Dead or Alive 5, unfortunately, is not on the main roster. This is due in no small part to a lack of consistent offline support in comparison to other games. We've been on the upswing, especially after the solid showing at NEC, however we have a lot of building to do yet. This is something that we're still working hard on changing, but this is currently our reality.

Now, the title says we still have a shot, and we do, but that catch is really going to put us in a put up or shut up position like never before! The Player's Choice slot, EVO 2013's eighth title, goes to the community and game that donates the most money to a chosen charity. The other part was that the game had to receive more than 500 votes in the poll that ran on the EVO Facebook page, which we did pull off. As of this writing, the donation page (link at the top) states we have 21 days to donate as much as we can, or til the end of January.

This is a chance for the entire DoA community to back our game. Online players, offline players, stream monsters, EVERYONE has an equal opportunity to help out the community. If you can't travel, toss a few bucks at the donation. If you prefer online play for any reason, donate anyway. If you do travel, definitely donate. Everyone should be donating as much as they can so that we can get our game back on the EVO main stage. Even if that doesn't happen, your money still goes to charity.

So DoA community: FSD members and DoAWorld members, online and offline players, casuals and pros...the time to step up or stay off to the side is coming!

Waiting doesn't solve anything at all. Donate when you can. If it just so happens to be the end of the month, so be it, but trying to wait on the assumption that other communities will stop if we do is not wise.

trust me men, this is the 1 and only way we're going to win.

we're like the 300 spartans against an ARMY of nintendo WARRIORS.

If we do this as a community we'll win for sure.

remember in the olden times those guys built a huge horse and hid inside of it?

thats exactly what this is. Except we're hiding money instead of men.

it worked then and it will work now.

sorwah, lets get this ball rolling, ill donate $600 on the last day, maybe more if i can

if we dont do this plan im donating $0. If we do this plan ill donate $600 and possibly $800

(i dont even plan on going to evo bro, i just like winning)

Or you can donate to a good cause and to help out a community you are a part of and stop trying to hold imaginary dollar signs over people. We would love your help, however much you decide to give, but feeling like you need to organize a movement and threatening people with leaving if you don't get your way seems to fly directly in the face of the whole purpose. I'm personally donating pretty much the past day, but it's not part of a strategy to get other people to stop donating to charity...

Your plan won't work because skull girls and ssbm are already in a bidding war. Holding off on donations increases the gap even more which also gives others reasons for not donating when the gap is smaller.

I find it quite sad that DOA as a series has sold millions of games world wide yet our community can't support the game enough to beat out DiveKick. Are you F***ing kidding me!!!?DIVEKICK!?!

This is why I hate on the culture of the FGC as a whole 50% is made up of idiots.

It has nothing to do with people being idiots (although I do not argue that fact). Believe it or not, Dive Kick probably has a larger competitive scene than DOA. It doesn't matter if DOA has sold millions, if only a very small fraction of those people can be bothered to get off their couches, they won't care if the game makes it into Evo or not.

Nintendo fanboys finally get the chance to get Smash into EVO and they just might pull it off. It doesn't surprise me because Smash still get played at tournaments at most conventions here in California.

Smash has been at Evo a couple of times in the past. They also have a very large and very active tournament scene. They don't really need Evo, but they have a strong enough competitive scene to get their game in. It's not about being a Nintendo fanboy, it's about having a solid competitive scene that supports their game.

...also of interest, no one in the Smash community thinks online is a viable means of anything. Interesting how that mentality goes hand in hand with getting your game into Evo.

Waiting doesn't solve anything at all. Donate when you can. If it just so happens to be the end of the month, so be it, but trying to wait on the assumption that other communities will stop if we do is not wise.

I'm under the impression that at least a few people will treat this like an eBay auction. They'll wait until the final hours before submitting their donation. It makes sense, but we definitely shouldn't just stop donating completely until then.

The problem is that if donations stop completely, the people who aren't aware of the "plan" would assume DOA has no chance and simply not donate at all. In addition, other communities (Guilty Gear or Skull Girls) may continue donating and give Smash a run for their money, making it harder to catch them if we wait.

I guess I'll post a courtesy update regarding the winning game: Skullgirls is in the lead so far with almost $2051.22 with Smash Bros. Melee in second with $1999.00. I'll try pitching in if I can. Money isn't a problem, but it's the means of donating that I'm having trouble with at the moment.

I'm obviously throwing in solely with DoA, but I'll consider it a small victory if I don't have to see Smash on stage...

It has nothing to do with people being idiots (although I do not argue that fact). Believe it or not, Dive Kick probably has a larger competitive scene than DOA. It doesn't matter if DOA has sold millions, if only a very small fraction of those people can be bothered to get off their couches, they won't care if the game makes it into Evo or not.

Smash has been at Evo a couple of times in the past. They also have a very large and very active tournament scene. They don't really need Evo, but they have a strong enough competitive scene to get their game in. It's not about being a Nintendo fanboy, it's about having a solid competitive scene that supports their game.

...also of interest, no one in the Smash community thinks online is a viable means of anything. Interesting how that mentality goes hand in hand with getting your game into Evo.

I'm under the impression that at least a few people will treat this like an eBay auction. They'll wait until the final hours before submitting their donation. It makes sense, but we definitely shouldn't just stop donating completely until then.

The problem is that if donations stop completely, the people who aren't aware of the "plan" would assume DOA has no chance and simply not donate at all. In addition, other communities (Guilty Gear or Skull Girls) may continue donating and give Smash a run for their money, making it harder to catch them if we wait.

I thought Dive Kick wasn't even out yet?o_O

As far as the competitive Smash community I agree with you.I still say the majority of players are Nintendo Fanboys. I figured Smash has been at EVO before. I'm not gonna lie DOA high level play is no joke.Sadly we don't have enough teachers in the community to teach it properly for offline play.
The good thing is that I will be hosting offline events soon. I got about 30 people who are taking DOA5 seriously enough to play money matches on weekends. I swear the hood rats I got to play this game like it more than playing Dominoes. And for this neighborhood that says alot.

I thought Dive Kick wasn't even out yet?o_O

As far as the competitive Smash community I agree with you.I still say the majority of players are Nintendo Fanboys. I figured Smash has been at EVO before. I'm not gonna lie DOA high level play is no joke.Sadly we don't have enough teachers in the community to teach it properly for offline play.
The good thing is that I will be hosting offline events soon. I got about 30 people who are taking DOA5 seriously enough to play money matches on weekends. I swear the hood rats I got to play this game like it more than playing Dominoes. And for this neighborhood that says alot.

Good, get each of your 30 people to donate 35$ to the donation pool.

let smash bros and skullgirls battle it out, meanwhile we'll donate our money to a sorwahs paypal account and blindside them so hard theyll never see it coming

trust me skullgirls or smashbros will lose faith and give up, then the other side will stop donating then thats when we strike.

let smash bros and skullgirls battle it out, meanwhile we'll donate our money to a sorwahs paypal account and blindside them so hard theyll never see it coming

trust me skullgirls or smashbros will lose faith and give up, then the other side will stop donating then thats when we strike.

You're like my favorite troll of all time Web Head - you know that right?

I'm proud of this community
*Manly tears*

For the first time in about 6 years. . .yeah, I'm actually proud to be a part of this community.

But

I still hate every single one of you and I'm the best player in this entire community.

I will never ever EVER again not acknowledge the power of 4Chan and internet trolls! Brony's are kicking everyone's ass as far as donations. I find it quite sad that DOA as a series has sold millions of games world wide yet our community can't support the game enough to beat out DiveKick. Are you F***ing kidding me!!!?DIVEKICK!?!

This is why I hate on the culture of the FGC as a whole 50% is made up of idiots.

Nintendo fanboys finally get the chance to get Smash into EVO and they just might pull it off. It doesn't surprise me because Smash still get played at tournaments at most conventions here in California.
We can't let some of these silly ass games like DiveKick beat DOA5! We need more members online right now.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD