Fighting EX Layer (formerly Street Fighter EX)

Derock

Anyone still getting this game? I read about it, apparently since its more a niche game it'll be digital only for the time being and won't have preorder since its not getting a disc copy atm. There's also two digital versions, lite which is 39.99 and doesn't come with that Hokuto girl as DLC and it has a trial for the gem based items and then the full version is full price but comes with more gems and Hokuto

I'll likely buy it since it looks fun and if it does well it'll be supported more, although I'm not sure it'll sell well since it's digital only and the game has hardly had any promo, it's almost as if its been intentionally kept under wraps

I am. As I said before, Arika doesn't have the AAA budget to market it properly because this is for the fans of the Street Fighter EX series without support from Capcom. Those who heard about or played the spin-off series will get this to support the team. I need the rest of the characters playable and once they're done, hopefully we'll see the return of the cast of the original Fighting Layer, where Allen and Blair suddenly appeared in exclusively after they went missing in the EX sequels.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I am. As I said before, Arika doesn't have the AAA budget to market it properly because this is for the fans of the Street Fighter EX series without support from Capcom. Those who heard about or played the spin-off series will get this to support the team. I need the rest of the characters playable and once they're done, hopefully we'll see the return of the cast of the original Fighting Layer, where Allen and Blair suddenly appeared in exclusively after they went missing in the EX sequels.
The game won't have a story or anything right? I'm hoping that's the case since I dont want to sacrifice much GB xD

DedUp

Strange. It doesn't seem to be in my PS Store. I checked store both on the console and through the website. Maybe it hasn't been released for us Canadians yet?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Strange. It doesn't seem to be in my PS Store. I checked store both on the console and through the website. Maybe it hasn't been released for us Canadians yet?
Yeah it hasn't been released yet xD I've been waiting and still nothing >.>

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah I just saw it, I bought the light version and it should be downloaded by the time I come home! ^.^ Hopefully people get it since all the other additional characters won't be added unless there's a high enough buy ratio >.>

DedUp

Some thoughts after playing.

First the game feels a good bit better than the first public beta I played previously. That beta felt somewhat stiff to me while the full game felt easier to maneuver, if that makes sense. Though I find that the inputs for doing specials and supers are a little less forgiving than other modern fighting games.

For matchmaking it can be a long wait for a match. I ended changing all the search parameters to 'Any' except for connection which I dropped to 4 bars. Even with that there were times I was waiting 15 minutes or more for a match. I suspect the issue is a combination of my location and the number of people who bought the game. Hopefully more people will buy the game and this will improve. Of the matches that I did get, only one of them lagged badly, the rest were pretty good.

One thing that is concerning is the lack of single player modes. All there is is Expert mode (combo trials) and a Kumite mode that is accessed through the practice mode. The trials are pretty much what you would expect, though I find them harder than the combo trials of other games. The Kumite mode is basically a survival mode. It's unfortunate that they didn't include a 1P vs CPU mode or any kind of arcade mode. I know they were on a tight budget, but if you have the AI for the Kumite and Training modes, I don't see how hard it would be to slap together 8 random fights together to make an Arcade or Time Attack mode. Sure it wouldn't have endings but it would still be fun for those of us who enjoy just chilling out and playing the CPU. I'm hoping this is something Arika will be able to add soonish, but I worry that the lack of these core single player modes will cause people to not buy it, like with what happened with SFV's launch, which will reduce the amount of funds Arika will have to make any kinds of improvements to the game.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Some thoughts after playing.

First the game feels a good bit better than the first public beta I played previously. That beta felt somewhat stiff to me while the full game felt easier to maneuver, if that makes sense. Though I find that the inputs for doing specials and supers are a little less forgiving than other modern fighting games.

For matchmaking it can be a long wait for a match. I ended changing all the search parameters to 'Any' except for connection which I dropped to 4 bars. Even with that there were times I was waiting 15 minutes or more for a match. I suspect the issue is a combination of my location and the number of people who bought the game. Hopefully more people will buy the game and this will improve. Of the matches that I did get, only one of them lagged badly, the rest were pretty good.

One thing that is concerning is the lack of single player modes. All there is is Expert mode (combo trials) and a Kumite mode that is accessed through the practice mode. The trials are pretty much what you would expect, though I find them harder than the combo trials of other games. The Kumite mode is basically a survival mode. It's unfortunate that they didn't include a 1P vs CPU mode or any kind of arcade mode. I know they were on a tight budget, but if you have the AI for the Kumite and Training modes, I don't see how hard it would be to slap together 8 random fights together to make an Arcade or Time Attack mode. Sure it wouldn't have endings but it would still be fun for those of us who enjoy just chilling out and playing the CPU. I'm hoping this is something Arika will be able to add soonish, but I worry that the lack of these core single player modes will cause people to not buy it, like with what happened with SFV's launch, which will reduce the amount of funds Arika will have to make any kinds of improvements to the game.
I'm about to play the game for myself, I'm really excited tbh! If the controls are much easier than SFV in terms of combo timing and such I may even play seriously XD I mainly only wanted it since I wanted to see how the EX series played. And yeah I agree it needs more offline content >.>

d3v

I'm about to play the game for myself, I'm really excited tbh! If the controls are much easier than SFV in terms of combo timing and such I may even play seriously XD.
The game uses a variant of the old magic series chain system, so basically everything can be cancelled into any normal of the same or higher strength, with some exception. The tradeoff however, is that it doesn't have an input buffer like SFV, so some things may be a bit stricter.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The game uses a variant of the old magic series chain system, so basically everything can be cancelled into any normal of the same or higher strength, with some exception. The tradeoff however, is that it doesn't have an input buffer like SFV, so some things may be a bit stricter.
Yeah I've noticed that the timing is alot stricter but overall I'm leaning towards this game's system alot more, it feels more bare bones and relatively simplistic for a 2D fighter in comparison to SFV
This game looks really interesting, do yall think itll have an offline scene/ online presence?
For hardcore fans yes, but for casual players likely not xD hopefully the light version will be a good enough stepping stone for anyone wanting to try it out, the game has alot of potential in my eyes and I truly want to see it win and make a mark tbh

d3v

Yeah I've noticed that the timing is alot stricter but overall I'm leaning towards this game's system alot more, it feels more bare bones and relatively simplistic for a 2D fighter in comparison to SFV
That's only until you start figuring out all the advanced combos, as well as gougi synergy.

DedUp

I started off with Sanane since I liked using Nanase in the previous games. I do expect that I'll be switching characters frequently since I'd like to get a feel for the whole cast. I'll probably try out Garuda next since he was my other favorite from the past.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I overall prefer classic control since it feels closer to SF but ngl, progressive is much easier for combo cancels. Also does anyone know about the secret survival mode too? XD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD