Fighting EX Layer (formerly Street Fighter EX)

Derock

Didn't get a chance to buy on release date, but certainly will get it when the patch coming out! Smart move for releasing Vulcano Russo and Pullum Purna (she should had been in the default roster instead of Hayate, he wasn't even that relevant in SF EX) as free DLC, Arika!

DedUp

I wonder how the arcade mode is going to turn out. I hope there is an intense final boss in respect to Vold Ignitio (whom was genuinely creepy as fuck).

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...er-free-dlc-includes-two-brand-new-characters

This article refers to the arcade mode as Arcade Mode version 0.80. In light of that, I don't expect it to be more than a group of random fights on random stages. This I am perfectly fine with this as it gives me something to mess around with once it's released and implies that we will see further improvements down the road.

I think if SFV had added a simple arcade mode within the first month of its original release, Capcom could of mitigated some of the damage and negativity surrounding that game.

DedUp

Some very brief game play footage of Pullum and Vulcano Rosso on a new stage.

Edit: A bit of footage of the upcoming Arcade mode. (Arcade gameplay footage starts at 6:43)

In the chat Arika mentions that they will have more info on Pullum and Volcano Rosso at Evo.

Last edited:

DedUp

The update came out today so I tried some Arcade mode. It's pretty much what I expected, 7 fights against AI opponents with no boss opponent. Oddly enough it looks like your first opponent and maybe your last opponent are fixed depending on the character you pick while the opponents you fight in between seem to randomized. The Gougi decks the opponents use are also randomized. The AI on Hard mode didn't seem to get challenging until the last couple of fights, though I might find it harder using other characters (I was using Garuda who I'm pretty familiar with). It is nice that you can look for online matches while playing Arcade mode and it brings you back after you have your online match, similar to how Street Fighter 5 does. Hopefully Arika will be able to do more with this mode, like add a boss, endings or some bonus stages. It would be nice to have the branching paths with different sub-bosses that Fighting Layer had. Despite the mode's current limitations, I'm glad to have it as a way to kill time while waiting for online matches, or something to play if I'm feeling too salty from losing all the time.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The update came out today so I tried some Arcade mode. It's pretty much what I expected, 7 fights against AI opponents with no boss opponent. Oddly enough it looks like your first opponent and maybe your last opponent are fixed depending on the character you pick while the opponents you fight in between seem to randomized. The Gougi decks the opponents use are also randomized. The AI on Hard mode didn't seem to get challenging until the last couple of fights, though I might find it harder using other characters (I was using Garuda who I'm pretty familiar with). It is nice that you can look for online matches while playing Arcade mode and it brings you back after you have your online match, similar to how Street Fighter 5 does. Hopefully Arika will be able to do more with this mode, like add a boss, endings or some bonus stages. It would be nice to have the branching paths with different sub-bosses that Fighting Layer had. Despite the mode's current limitations, I'm glad to have it as a way to kill time while waiting for online matches, or something to play if I'm feeling too salty from losing all the time.
Yeah they're fixed, I used Hayate and he had to fight Sanane first and last. The difficulty is inconsistent tho, the earlier stages are harder and then suddenly the last two to three are easy to win by just mashing a special command and or backing away the last few seconds when you have a life lead.

They need to fix the arcade description tho so you can know how many fights you have to do since three round 7 matches is pretty long xD Also there's no actual "ending" either for the characters so that can be misleading

Derock

Finally got it. Man, I felt right at home. Put music in Extra and was treated to old-school goodness and some things I heard from the original Fighting Layer arcade game. We're getting those characters later down the road, if support keeps flowing in.

Leifasumi

I was going to buy until I saw how ridiculous the price was for this unfinished game. I know I will be weak and most likely will buy it once Pullum becomes available.

I wonder if they will change her nationality like how CAPCOM did recently. I am still shocked she is Saudi Arabian because I always thought she was Indian.

DyByHands

Ive been on the fence with this game. But their support is looking pretty great. I think I am ready to jump in.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Not a game that interests me and the animations feel very wooden, but damn, those character models.... O: They are so detailed and polished. You can argue if you like their look and style, but on a technical level they are probably the best in any fighting game out there right now. I'd love to know the polygon count of one.

Hayabusiness

Not a game that interests me and the animations feel very wooden, but damn, those character models.... O: They are so detailed and polished. You can argue if you like their look and style, but on a technical level they are probably the best in any fighting game out there right now. I'd love to know the polygon count of one.
Idk about you but these look better than Capcom's SFV (and even SFIV....) models, art wise...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Idk about you but these look better than Capcom's SFV (and even SFIV....) models, art wise...

Stylistically/art style-wise I'm not a fan to be honest. It's a weird mix of realism and anime style, they are so shiney that they look like plastic figures. In that sense I prefer the look of SFV, but the modelling of the FEL characters is imo outstanding. You hardly see any polygon edges or muddy textures, everything is super detailed and polished. They look almost prerendered.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Can't wait for these new girls!

IMG_20180805_131549.jpg

IMG_20180805_131552.jpg

I love how this game promotes new characters and content too, it gives it an even more nostalgic old school feel xD

Macca Beam

fighting ex layer models are technically impressive, but they have that extremely stock plastic, glossy unreal engine look and some are uncanny under that artstyle, to say the least. not really a fan of either SF games but they're STILL more visually pleasing to look at

it's also strange that despite the models' polish, the animations and voices were sloppy as hell in comparison. some of the voice clips don't even cut off properly

Hayabusiness

That's Area and Sharon.
Looks like they tried to make Area more attractive... Makes me a bit disappointed tbh, it was refreshing to gave a scrawny nerd girl among babes lol.

fighting ex layer models are technically impressive, but they have that extremely stock plastic, glossy unreal engine look and some are uncanny under that artstyle, to say the least. not really a fan of either SF games but they're STILL more visually pleasing to look at

it's also strange that despite the models' polish, the animations and voices were sloppy as hell in comparison. some of the voice clips don't even cut off properly
The models really stand out from the animations huh, lol. Also considering Arika has been dormant on fighting games for years, graphics-wise it's a much better job than what Capcom brought with SFV and I have a hunch it was done with a much smaller budget.
And well, at least imo, the characters' designs are much more pleasing to the eyes than SFV's bland and/or ugly characters.
However some haven't translated too well in 3D, sadly.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD