Fightstick Vs. Pad (Like it really matters.)

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
This is a subject that is brought to my attention almost everytime I talk about inputs of certain moves. I can't believe it, but there's a whole lot of people who think that a fightstick makes me worse at DOA. Now, I also play VF5: FS and Sega AM2 suggests that players use a fightstick because of the complexity and speed/precision needed for a good bit of the commands. In my opinion, DOA isn't all that different from VF, and I'm not just talking about the additions of VF characters. The mechanics to me feel a tad bit similar, but the hold mechanic and triangle system sets DOA apart, but not by much.
So why in the hell would using a fightstick hinder my abilities? I use it on everything else I play with no problems, so why would DOA be different?
And, in your honest opinion, what is your preferred peripheral: Stick or Pad?

One more thing, for those wondering, I have a Mad Catz Fightstick Pro Cross model with Sanwa OBSFS Silent Buttons and a Sanwa Bat Top!

David Gregg

I honestly would really like to get a stick and have been considering it for a while now. There are some days when I want to throw my 360 controller against a wall.

I hate the d-pad (actually just the entire damn thing). PS3 users don't understand how great they have it that the arrows are actually separate buttons and not all apart of some stupid circle.

Chapstick

I hate the d-pad (actually just the entire damn thing). PS3 users don't understand how great they have it that the arrows are actually separate buttons and not all apart of some stupid circle.
They're not actually separate buttons, it's just a circle piece underneath with four raised parts.

UpSideDownGRUNT

They're not actually separate buttons, it's just a circle piece underneath with four raised parts.
I think he was referring to PS3 have a 4 point Dpad rather than one big circular 8 way dpad.
PS3 diagonal inputs are god like, diagonal input on 360's 8way dpad barely works at all I press 33 and end getting 32, 22 or 23 or something like that I VERY rarely actually get 33 with no problems.

o_YUE_o

When you lose, it's easier to bash your opponent's face in with a giant arcade stick set-up than a tiny controller.
Unfortunately some people dont have that luxury
streetfighterminiarcadestickkeychain1.jpg

Berzerk!

Arcade stick is definitely more accurate and reliable. Its only a matter of getting used to it if you're a pad player.
Ultimately personal preference and comfort is important, but there's a reason the majority of players across all fighting games use sticks, they are built for purpose and tend to be of higher quality components.

Gurimmjaw

It all comes down to preference and what you feel more comfortable with.

However, for me I do prefer the controller. I play on PS3 so I have no problems with fighting games on it. One of the top MvC players made a video I know a year or a few years ago on the subject and he places top 8-16 and he's a pad player. So I been using pads ever since I started gaming so I stick to that since it my preferred choice.

I could never use a stick as I do not like using my wrist for any games. I like using my fingers so a controller is the best thing for me. However a hitbox I would probably consider getting myself since I would be just using my fingers.

So use what you like and pay no mind to what other people say. If you like using a stick then keep using it. It all comes down to preference.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD