Final Fantasy Thread

Chapstick

Haha, I love you for this xD I'm also more of the childhood friend over Zack's Ex-girlfriend (SPLOILER: because we know the only reason Aeris/Aerith likes Cloud is because he has Zack's memories, hence the conversation back in Midgar when she says that she reminds her of her ex boyfriend Zack who was also in SOLDIER)

Lightning Returns is mechanically one of the best FFs to ever exist it mixes Kingdom Hearts' Hack & Slash vibes and mixes it with classic Final Fantasy and it does work, really well in fact. I'd say it's definitely the best game out of the 3 XIII games plus the Knockout feature is so technically in depth it's ridiculous at what you can do with it.
You tagged spoilers from a game made in 1997. xD

Another thing that bugs me about LR is that time limit. I hate time limits especially in JRPGs. It's one of the reasons I didn't get more into the Atelier series. Regardless I'll be buying it eventually. I'm not expecting the price drop to take too long because XIII-2 went down $20 in like a month.
No, no, no! DO NOT buy those crappy ports on PSN. They do not do the original SNES any justice, as they suffer from actual load times, slowdown issues, butchered audio, and in FF5's case, a god-awful translation. Play them on an SNES emulator (it's free anyway), and if you have a GBA emulator, get that version of FF5.
I'll try emulating. I really don't like playing things on the computer though, using the keyboard feels awkward and I don't have any controllers or controller adapters for the PC.
At least in FFX, you can backtrack to all those locations you went to on that linear quest via "microwave airship". In FFXIII, the only place you could roam freely in was Gran Pulse. This is why FFX doesn't get that kind of flak for being linear.
True.
It lacked the abundant action-oriented sidequests of XII.
I liked the sidequests in X-2. From pairing up monkeys based on their names so they'd have tons of annoying babies to the gunning mini game in besaid, they were fun. Sphere break was annoying, though.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i used to own all of them through one medium or anouther 1-5 i have on itunes, 6-9 i HAD on PSN(dam ps3 died and i couldnt transfer my data to the new one), 10,12, and 13 i own on hard disk .

out of all of those ive only ever beaten the third one as i either get stuck,lost, or lose interest too quickly or in FFXs case get to seymouron Gagazet mountain and get my shit pushed in repeatedly.

Chapstick

6-9 i HAD on PSN(dam ps3 died and i couldnt transfer my data to the new one)
Just go to your download history in the store and redownload them. Then activate your system through your account settings so you can play them if you haven't already. You're screwed with save files you had for those games.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
yeaaaaah no. i had apparently been using the wrong fucking account and since it was set to auto log-in i never realized my mistake until it crashed. i have no purchase history

SilverForte

Well chap if you do emulate them, do try to get the gba versions of 5 and 6, and the psp version of 4.

Gotta love the gba translations, with nods such as this, so glad they kept the gba script for the psp version of 4 instead of the horrendous ds script.

trogdor1.jpg

ff4somethingawful.jpg

Chapstick

yeaaaaah no. i had apparently been using the wrong fucking account and since it was set to auto log-in i never realized my mistake until it crashed. i have no purchase history
I did the same thing, just make another user on the new system with the correct info if you remember it. Go into the store on that user, download it from the history, activate your system on that user through its settings. You will be able to use the game. I literally did the same exact thing buying FFVII on the wrong account before my last PS3 died.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'll try emulating. I really don't like playing things on the computer though, using the keyboard feels awkward and I don't have any controllers or controller adapters for the PC.
Standard Logitech PC controllers are highly recommended and feasible.

Not only are they relatively cheap PC controllers modeled after the PS2 controller ($20 - 25 IIRC), they're compatible with most emulators right off the bat, with little to no need to install.

UpSideDownGRUNT

You tagged spoilers from a game made in 1997. xD

Another thing that bugs me about LR is that time limit. I hate time limits especially in JRPGs. It's one of the reasons I didn't get more into the Atelier series. Regardless I'll be buying it eventually. I'm not expecting the price drop to take too long because XIII-2 went down $20 in like a month.
TBF I tagged spoilers about Cloud not being who he thought he was which to my knowledge isn't revealed until like Crisis Core or something.

Oh, and the time limit you can push back via sidequests all the way back to 13 days and the time limit isn't even all that fast, you can actually beat the game without even pushing it back what so ever. It's not like Majora's Mask where you have to keep an eye on the time the whole game.

And I think it'll go down in price even quicker than XIII-2 despite being more like older FFs most people don't even care for XIII anymore so only niche few that like the game will be actually buying it so by end of Feb/early March it'll probably be about £20 - £25.

Well chap if you do emulate them, do try to get the gba versions of 5 and 6, and the psp version of 4.

Gotta love the gba translations, with nods such as this, so glad they kept the gba script for the psp version of 4 instead of the horrendous ds script.

trogdor1.jpg
Lol Burninated? sounds like they got a visit by... TROOOOOGDOOOOORRR!!!

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
IV has been my favorite so far. Loved it so much I have hardcore mained Cecil in both Dissidias with a little Kain on the side (Golbez is kinda meh). Also, you could just buy/download the PSP version of 4 (the one that has IV AND the After Years). But the physical new copies have a DLC outfit for Cecil in Duodecim (classic Cecil DK and Pal).

XIII and XIII-2 are my second favorites after IV. Can't wait until LR (just over a month away! I should stop procrastinating and go preoreder it already).

X was better than people understood. Probably the biggest flaws were the VOs and Sphere Grid and that was where people focused most on trying to downplay it's value (people complain about XIII being a tunnel? They forgot about X). It is pretty decent overall.

VII was the second FF I played. I liked it for what is was (was younger when I played it) but playing it after a number of years has shown me how fairly bland it actually is. Favorite thing was the Materia system because I had no concept that Tifa was supposed to be a brawler and used her as my healer/spellcaster.

Dirge of Cerberus was good too. A good expansion on the VII universe (along with Crisis Core, which was very well done) taken into the form of a shooter. I liked it and still do.

XII I really need to replay. Gotta be honest and say I can't remember much from it because I spent SOOO much time just running around and doing nothing (I'm bad at free roam games, I do everything but the storylines).

Need to play IX, V, and VI and get over having lost my data for VIII (was too pissed about it and quit completely on the third disc). Played I and II, good for their time.

Played a little but of XI and I'm on/off with XIV currently but they are pay to play so I spend time on them when I feel I can spend the money (kinda done with XI).

Not entirely unrelated I have a general approval of Square's games, especially the Parasite Eve games.

Commmanda Panda

:eek: a Final Fantasy thread <3

X will always have a place in my heart since I can always go back to that game and have so much fun with it. X-2 did not have the same effect on me but I still find this one to be fun as well.
I really want to buy a PS3 just to play the HD remake but I'm so torn on other things as well lol :/

XIII and XIII-2 are second on my list. The cast was amazing in both games and gameplay was also fun. Can't wait till Lightning Returns in Feb.

UpSideDownGRUNT

What's everyone's favourite music from FF? I can give you a few tasters of mine....

1. Dust to Dust: Definitely one of the beautifully haunting pieces in any FF to date I love that this track plays in and out of battle when you're in Oerba.

2. Anxious Heart: A true FFVII classic, I may not FFVII too much itself but the music is fantastic.

3. Blinded by Light: Battle music is everything in a FF, if you're gonna go through countless battless after so much as a finger wave you're gonna need a great battle theme and that's what BBL does.
Other battle themes I LOVE are:
FFX battle theme
Those Who Fight
OtherWorld (Jecht's battle theme)
FFVI Battle Theme
FFIV Battle Theme
and finally FFIX's battle theme.

So I don't clutter the thread I'll only link videos to those 3.

4. Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further: what can I say? possibly the best boss battle theme ever.

5. Kuja's Theme: dat piano is really daunting and sinister sounding.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
What's everyone's favourite music from FF? I can give you a few tasters of mine....

1. Dust to Dust: Definitely one of the beautifully haunting pieces in any FF to date I love that this track plays in and out of battle when you're in Oerba.

2. Anxious Heart: A true FFVII classic, I may not FFVII too much itself but the music is fantastic.

3. Blinded by Light: Battle music is everything in a FF, if you're gonna go through countless battless after so much as a finger wave you're gonna need a great battle theme and that's what BBL does.
Other battle themes I LOVE are:
FFX battle theme
Those Who Fight
OtherWorld (Jecht's battle theme)
FFVI Battle Theme
FFIV Battle Theme
and finally FFIX's battle theme.

So I don't clutter the thread I'll only link videos to those 3.

4. Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further: what can I say? possibly the best boss battle theme ever.

5. Kuja's Theme: dat piano is really daunting and sinister sounding.
My favorite themes in the entire series??? JFC, this is gonna be hard OTL
1: Challenge - FFX
2: Dust to Dust - FFXIII
3: Sunleth Waterscape - FFXIII
4: Liberi Fatali - FFVIII
5: J-E-N-O-V-A: FFVII
6: Premonition: FFVIII
7: Dark Messenger: FFIX
8: Yuna's Theme: FFX-2

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Also, I recently learned that XIII-2 was supposed to be this amazing game with Lightning learning more about the Gods: Pulse, Lindzei, Etro, Bhunivelze, & Mwynn, but apparently Square Enix didn't have enough money to fund it so they gave us the disaster that was XIII-2 ;-;

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Good job we got Lightning Returns now then isn't it? lol
Lol, yeah. But I'm not as excited as I used to be for it. It just seems like Square Enix is trying to make Lightning into Erza Scarlet with all these schemas and weapons. And I'm like.. if I wanted to see Erza Scarlet I would watch Fairy Tail, not play Final Fantasy. OTL.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Also, I recently learned that XIII-2 was supposed to be this amazing game with Lightning learning more about the Gods: Pulse, Lindzei, Etro, Bhunivelze, & Mwynn, but apparently Square Enix didn't have enough money to fund it so they gave us the disaster that was XIII-2 ;-;
Hey, XIII-2 was actually really good. It definitely improved on XIII and monster hunting/collection was a very fun aspect. Then again, I'm one of the few people out there who actually enjoyed XIII, XIII-2, and is eagerly awaiting for Lightning Returns.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD