Final Fantasy Thread

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Hey, XIII-2 was actually really good. It definitely improved on XIII and monster hunting/collection was a very fun aspect. Then again, I'm one of the few people out there who actually enjoyed XIII, XIII-2, and is eagerly awaiting for Lightning Returns.
I enjoyed the XIII trilogy so far and it's painful as hell. ;u;. It improved on XIII a lot. I wasn't too fond of the monster hunting thing, but it was so ridiculously easy compared to XIII. Well, XIII was easy at some points and then from chapter XII onwards the A.I just spiked out of nowhere.

Chapstick

I will never get over what they did to XIII's fantastic ending in XIII-2. NEVER. Then they just had to make XIII-2 end on such a lousy sloppy note. Squenix's motto: 'ayy fuck you lmao'

I spoiled LR's ending for myself by looking it up and I have to say it's a pretty interesting choice. I actually liked it. Hopefully XIII-4 doesn't pop up out of no where one day (despite them saying the XIII saga is done) and screw it up.

SilverForte

I don't play the XIII series for its plot, I found it to be rather silly tbh. I mainly play it for the gameplay and music.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Well, XIII's ending was bitter sweet anyway everyone got turned into C'ieth, but then, Etro came along and reset their l'Cie brands allowing them to finish off Orphan and letting Fang turn into Ragnarok and deliver the final blow while she and Vanille in crystal stasis held up a crystalised Cocoon.

The only thing happy about the ending was that Etro then freed them from their l'Cie status and let them all go which is bitter-sweet because it only fucked everything up and caused nothing but chaos thus, the timeline re-writes itself and XIII-2 happens.

SilverForte

I thought the whole ceith thing was an illusion caused by orphan or something, falcie smoke and mirrors as sazh called it.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Nope, I think it was elaborated later on that they were actually transformed into C'ieth but Etro saved them. It's actually because of Etro that XIII, XIII-2 and LR happens.

Well... LR is also Bhunivelze

Chapstick

Well, XIII's ending was bitter sweet anyway everyone got turned into C'ieth, but then, Etro came along and reset their l'Cie brands allowing them to finish off Orphan and letting Fang turn into Ragnarok and deliver the final blow while she and Vanille in crystal stasis held up a crystalised Cocoon.

The only thing happy about the ending was that Etro then freed them from their l'Cie status and let them all go which is bitter-sweet because it only fucked everything up and caused nothing but chaos thus, the timeline re-writes itself and XIII-2 happens.
Goddammit, grunt. You put spoilers on VII but not XIII. smh

I liked the bittersweet ending. Fang and Vanille saved Cocoon despite being Pulse residents hating Cocoon all those years and nearly destroying it before. They continued to live on as crystal with each other which made me happy considering their close releationship as *cough* friends. Serah and Dajh came back from their crystal forms to be with their loved ones again. Serah and Snow were going to get married, and their lives would be happy. It was a bittersweet ending and it felt complete, there was no reason to continue it.

Then suddenly we get XIII-2 which says -SpOiLeRS- jk we decided to pull another game out of our ass and to do that we fucked up XIII's ending and killed it. Uuhhhhh how about something with time! Lightning got sucked into a TIME chasm or something and got sent to Valhalla! The wedding doesn't happen, in fact Snow just leaves Serah behind, and everyone thinks Serah's full of crap for remembering the real ending! OH AND LET'S MAKE SERAH DIE so we can pull yet another game out of our ass!

>:c

Also I'm just going to say Serah and Snow were the worst couple ever. He only seems to care about her when she's crystalized or -SpOiLeRs-
dead. Oh or when she's hanging out with Noel because he's jelly someone's moving in on his girl.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The thing about the XIII games, when they were first announced (XIII, Versus XIII, Agito XIII) was that the mythos behind the three games were interesting. However, I feel that due to the first game (XIII) going multiplatform and to accommodate Xbox 360 players, Square Enix cut A LOT of content from the game that they wanted to include in the game. Hence, why the execution of the plot seems bad to most people. But, if one actually READS the mythos and some of the smaller plot details in the game and on the FFWiki, the world itself is interesting. It's still nice that FFXV (formerly Versus XIII) and Type-0 (formerly Agito XIII) keeps the basic mythos, but the plot elements are too good to not use.

UpSideDownGRUNT

To be honest, I'd like to see them do a retake on Final Fantasy XIII and do it how it was meant to be done originally.

Plus, I'd love to see Lightning in next-gen :/

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
To be honest, I'd like to see them do a retake on Final Fantasy XIII and do it how it was meant to be done originally.

Plus, I'd love to see Lightning in next-gen :/
I, too, would like to see something like a FF13: Director's Cut and they make it exclusively for PS4. After all, it was going to be PS3 exclusive originally, but then it went multiplatform in order to get more sales. Still, if I'm not mistaken, the PS3 version still sold more than the 360 port anyway.

SilverForte

Well I have the 360 version of said game, so I'm pretty glad it did end up multiplatform, and i will be getting LR on 360 as well.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
So with Lightning Returns coming out and Lightning becoming Erza Scarlet, what are you guys' thoughts on it so far?

SilverForte

Dunno who erza scarlet it, but the gameplay looks like a lot of fun, and the soundtrack is great. I'm looking forward to it.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Erza Scarlet is a character from Fairy Tail who fights with multiple armors & weapons and can switch her armor + weapon at any given moment. Really good anime, but yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas I played the Japanese demo and the OST is the best in the XIII trilogy.

UpSideDownGRUNT

OST wise I still prefer original XIII, nothing beats Blinded by Light, Dust to Dust and Sunleth Waterscape lol but Crimson Blitz and The Saviour are pretty good I'll give you that.

As for the gameplay I love the technical masterpiece it is and the battle system has definitely changed for the better, it's alot more skill and strategy based rather than mash A/X and have dumb AI do everything BUT the spell/attack you want them to.

As for the whole customisation thing, I love it! Customising is my favourite thing in games even if it's just a colour pallete thing plus there's a crap ton of broad swords, gunblades, staffs and lances to choose from as well as Garbs referencing old characters, Garbs straight from old games such as Cloud's SOLDIER uniform, Aeris' Costume and Yuna's Gunslinger and Summoner Garbs as well as Lightning's very own Guardian Corps. uniform from FFXIII and her goddess armour from FFXIII-2.

It also has really cool and rediculous original Garbs lol that Moogle Garb xD, and asides from a few locked abilities set to certain Garbs the ability to interchange spells to customise your spells and attacks depending on what you need is really helpful and being able to wear ANY equipped Garb outside of battle is also really cool, and I have to lol at some of the accessories, I love that it ranges from hipster shades, to cat ears and a Moogle.

Open world, 'nuff said.

As I have said before it's essentially Classic Final Fantasy with a modern mix of Kingdom Hearts, if FFXIII was like this when it first came out maybe it wouldn't have had as much of the negative response it got :/

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
The game is as close to a real Final Fantasy game as it's gonna get, but I wish the battle system was more party-based.

On a side note, the yuri fanfiction this particular game spawned has been very well done so far.

Chapstick

As for the gameplay I love the technical masterpiece it is and the battle system has definitely changed for the better, it's alot more skill and strategy based rather than mash A/X and have dumb AI do everything BUT the spell/attack you want them to.
That's funny because I got through the entire demo by mashing X. I don't really recall my character or party members doing anything I didn't want them to in XIII/XIII-2. The only thing that was iffy was commando launching. When you set everything up right with paradigms and attack methods (wide range, single target) everything comes out just as you want it to. Also, you don't even have to use auto-battle if you don't want to. People complained about it, but it is optional. You can even set your cursor to start at your abilities instead of auto-battle at the start of every turn in the game options IIRC.

UpSideDownGRUNT

That's funny because I got through the entire demo by mashing X. I don't really recall my character or party members doing anything I didn't want them to in XIII/XIII-2. The only thing that was iffy was commando launching. When you set everything up right with paradigms and attack methods (wide range, single target) everything comes out just as you want it to. Also, you don't even have to use auto-battle if you don't want to. People complained about it, but it is optional. You can even set your cursor to start at your abilities instead of auto-battle at the start of every turn in the game options IIRC.
Your experience must be different than mine because I can't tell you how many times Vanille in Medic didn't heal me when I needed it the most because she was too busy healing herself or the other party member.

And you could set it to manual but there isn't a real point to it, since it all comes up anyway it was easier and faster to just auto battle though.

As for what you said about mashing X to get through them demo, you must have spent alot of time with your ATB run out because it doesn't fill up THAT quickly, also you're supposed to JF block and stagger the opponent and manually evade attacks.

You might have done it easily enough in the demo but that's just the tutorial the later game won't be as forgiving

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD