Final Fantasy Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Her name is Cindy in english and Cidney in Japanese.

Cid is her father/grandfather(I forget which) that owns the gas station.

He's the grandfather. Quite a few people have complained about the discrepancies in translation here. Well, they might have a reason to call her Cidney in Japanese but Cindy in English...or they just messed up the translation because whoever translated it didn't have enough context. Which is pretty likely after following big f*** up that was just now uncovered. I'm going to put the rest into spoilers, even though this is at the very beginning of the story and you should imo be fine knowing about it. I also already posted the video in question in here before and chances are that you have already seen it. ;)
So, Gamespot released some English language story bits some days ago...

...and starting 2:02 there is a scene where many, including me, felt that the characters reaction to a certain revelation, a pretty drastic one, made not much sense...well, maybe if all the characters were complete sociopaths. Everyone was wondering how Gladio could read out the alleged death of Noctis' father so relatively calm, how Noctis reacted way too collected and how the other characters didn't seem to be shocked at all, merely concerned about the kingdom.
Especially cringeworthy was the part when Noctis exclaims: "Lies." and Prompto just sighs: "If only..." What kind of human being would be like this when his best friend is just in shock after his father was just declared dead? He could as well have said: "Nuh, your dad's corpse is probably just rotting in some ditch in Insomnia, lol."
Anyway, then someone proficient in Japanese directly compared the scenes in both languages and it came out that Gladio never even mentions Noctis' father's death in the original scene:

https://vid.me/5MMX

There is just info about the Kingdom falling, which perfectly fits the reaction of all characters including Noctis.
How can someone unilaterally f*** up an important scene like this? How didn't anyone but some fans in an internet forum notice it didn't make any sense? I'm really stunned... I'm not touching the Western voiceover. I don't want to know what they do to the German version. They usually retranslate from the already translated English version and not directly from Japanese. I might end up with a significantly different story in the end. XD

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

But the subs will still be of the translated dialogue lol, unless you plan to play the game without subs and just Japanese dialogue you'll still have to deal with the cringy translations as you put it.

The biggest thing I hate is that Noctis still sounds like he smokes 40 packs a day

Tyaren

Standard Donor
But the subs will still be of the translated dialogue lol, unless you plan to play the game without subs and just Japanese dialogue you'll still have to deal with the cringy translations as you put it.

I...didn't think about that...

Double-Facepalm-Picard-20.gif

And they are not just cringy, they make no sense and mess up the complete context of the story.

By the way, these two examples weren't even the only translation mess ups. They just recently, and only after fan critique, changed how Ignis adresses Noctis in the English version of the game. Before it was always an emotionally distant "Your Highness", now it is just like in the Japanese version: "Noct". Whoever translates this game takes a few too many liberties...

The biggest thing I hate is that Noctis still sounds like he smokes 40 packs a day

Before he sounded like 80 packs a day, so that's a considerable improvement already.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Can't wait till the forum posts become flooded with Dissidia news and gameplay. FFXV is but a few months away so such news isn't that exciting for me.

Dissidia on the other hand....simply can't wait for the roster and changes.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
New Character announcement soon, guessing the Emperor if the "new character Garland" announcement is anything to go by.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out to be Emperor due to following title series numbers. Never really liked the character much but he was severely underrated and didn't play well against certain characters in the portables. I mean Dissidia is a whole new game with a massive overhaul change to the game and it's mechanics, so he may just play much differently for the better or worse.

What I am curious about is if the game will have a story placed in like Dissidia 012....would be dull to just throw it in there as a ordinary fighter.

Nikotsumi

Dissidia's new character announced : Kefka Palazzo. I expected it to be The Emperor as I though they were gonna add villains in order from the first FF.
Also, a new character will be added next month. hints :
-It's a speed type character
-The character is not from the Chaos side
And in august they'll add new costumes and a new stage.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I wouldn't be surprised, they might as well throw the character in there. They also added Lightning for the upcoming KH game according to a Famitsu scan from Gamefaqs (doesn't look like Famitsu scan weird), she's part of the tutorial holding a struggle bat for the player.

Last edited:

David Gregg

Wait Lightning is going to be in a KH game?! O_O When did they reveal this? Also I thought there were "unconfirmed" rumors they weren't adding FF characters to KH3 this time.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wait Lightning is going to be in a KH game?! O_O When did they reveal this? Also I thought there were "unconfirmed" rumors they weren't adding FF characters to KH3 this time.
They're adding Light to almost everything and I love it.
if Lightning is messing with Struggle it sounds like she's not going to have an important part like Squall or Tifa.

Unsure saw this on Gamefaqs.

8MjhnAr.jpg

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD