Battle Royal Final Round 18 only receives 42 pre-registrants for DOA5LR

In a year that brings Team NINJA's exciting and new tournament circuit, Battle Royal 2015, the pressure is certainly on the community to match up to the support the team has provided for it. Winter Brawl 9 (WB9) concluded a few weeks ago in Philadelphia, PA with 32 entrants - an improvement over Winter Brawl 8's numbers by 50%. However, many were disappointed in the turnout at WB9 regardless of the fact the game was released in the same week.

finalroundnewbanner.png

Larry "Shin Blanka" Dixon, organizer for Final Round 18, recently posted the pre-registration numbers on his facebook:

Code:
Thanks to everyone that pre registered online for fr18! Remember there still is Emergency Door Registration on Thursday and Friday. Sad to see kof and the injustice numbers so low, but it is what it is. LoL. See everyone in two weeks!

Ultra Street Fighter 4 = 343
UMVC3 = 189
GG Xrd = 186
TTT2 = 139
Smash U = 122
Under Night= 69
KI = 55
Smash Melee= 50
DOA =42
Soul Cal= 42
Injustice = 24
Kof = 16

Previous Final Rounds scored as high as a 68 entrant tournament, so the pre-registration numbers certainly aren't too far from that mark. However, with this year being the debut of Battle Royal 2015, and the final entry of Dead or Alive 5 now released, the eyes are on the DOA community to support its own game and the competitors who are trying to keep the game alive in the competitive circuit. Sadly, even if the numbers are equal to previous years, one would hope with the increased support from Team NINJA in investing in a tournament circuit, that competitive entrant numbers would be improving. If numbers aren't improving at events then support from Team NINJA probably won't be continuing in the future... including future iterations of the series. Could the low pre-registrant numbers for DOA5 Last Round at Final Round 18 be a sign of this being the last year for competitive Dead or Alive?

Final Round 18 takes place in Atlanta, GA on March 20, 2015. For those players who want to support those in attendance, but are unable to attend themselves, an FSD donation pool has been set up to give towards the total Pot bonus.

'Go big or go home' means go all out, not necessarily community size. I cannot afford to go to every accessible major, so I choose which ones to attend. If I'm going to spend the money at all, I'll choose the largest one possible which in recent years has been TFC, but if I add to that list it will be those with the largest reputed events to support the franchise.
Hmm better than online, since people seem to take that as the way to play these games even though this games community did start on with 56k dial up connections.

Only four days left to contribute to the pot bonus. I'm assuming the donation tracker was put up so people could donate in advance, which could spark more entrants.

Only four days left to contribute to the pot bonus. I'm assuming the donation tracker was put up so people could donate in advance, which could spark more entrants.
As much as I like donating to tournaments (Believe me, I love to contribute in any way possible), it seems that the money itself is what gets DOA more numbers instead of just passion for the game. I'm probably just being crazy thinking this, but you never know lol

As much as I like donating to tournaments (Believe me, I love to contribute in any way possible), it seems that the money itself is what gets DOA more numbers instead of just passion for the game. I'm probably just being crazy thinking this, but you never know lol
kinda reminds me why PL is back in the first place.

Well you should not bother about the number of players there. And just ignore the people that will only come to a Event when the numbers are big. These wont Even come if there were 10.000 people. Players These days forgot how fun it is Playing offline in Front of other people People and Share the Passion about a game. They only See Money nowadays. I See some People working so hard for this game and it is sad to always see hate and anger. Like costum ban topic. Some people just dont Understand, that they want to Show the Game as a good Fighting game and not just fapmaterial.
I Would join your tournament but i live in Europe.
I recommend to you guys just have fun and enjoy the moment.

And please work more together like the killer instinct Community and do more online tourny's. 3D Fighting games may not that popular These days like 2D but this Game has the Potential to be Great.

Well you should not bother about the number of players there. And just ignore the people that will only come to a Event when the numbers are big. These wont Even come if there were 10.000 people. Players These days forgot how fun it is Playing offline in Front of other people People and Share the Passion about a game. They only See Money nowadays. I See some People working so hard for this game and it is sad to always see hate and anger. Like costum ban topic. Some people just dont Understand, that they want to Show the Game as a good Fighting game and not just fapmaterial.
I Would join your tournament but i live in Europe.
I recommend to you guys just have fun and enjoy the moment.

And please work more together like the killer instinct Community and do more online tourny's. 3D Fighting games may not that popular These days like 2D but this Game has the Potential to be Great.
That wasn't a very well thought out post, but I believe I already covered a good reason with the shortage of attendees in my other posts. I agree with the last few statements though

That wasn't a very well thought out post, but I believe I already covered a good reason with the shortage of attendees in my other posts. I agree with the last few statements though

My Post have nothing to do with you.
I am sorry if sounds that way.

This are generell toughts from my view and what learned for myself over the years. Because i played many games on a pro Level like other Fighting games, League of legends and Even pokemon. And i did it for Money and other stuff and it was bad. Because i forced myself to it and it was no fun and very stressful.

Thats why i mean you guys should enjoy it and, dont think so much about the Number of Players there or Prize Money. Its one of our favorite games.
And if you play with are positive attitude it will Infekt the others too.
Because taking it too seriours will only kill doa.

I figure part of the problem is that alot of folks getting into the game are newer and haven't been part of the FGC so they aren't used to the tournament experience.

Compare to when SFIV came out and we had more veterans, folks used to going 48 hours on the road, just to cram into a room with 10 other guys and then lose 0-2, all while planning to go to the next major. Guys like these helped push newer folk into accepting this part of FGC culture.

At the end of the day, it's all about passion, the passion of these folks for competition is infectious and many "09ers" soon found themselves doing the same things, travelling across state lines for days, just to attend a tournament, even if they had no chance of winning.

The question now then is how to transfer that same level of passion onto the newer DOA players. The old guard already has it and we have some new bloods who also have it. But we need more, more players encourage new folks to come out and attend tournaments.

Although I understand the reason you could have read it that way. I think many here would tell you I'm one of the more optimistic people in this community when it comes to community involvement.

A lot of that "berating of the community" is more from me sharing some of the feedback and frustration other power members of the community have shared with me. Having stable numbers is fine, but sadly we need to see growth during these critical times.

Hello,
I am new here but not new to DOA and fighting games. I like your passion for your hobby. However, the building of a community truly lies on the developer and their marketing. Please agree with me that DOA marketing is not good. This game with the user friendly fighting mechanics and the DLC alone can compete if marketed the right way. For example, my daughter who grew up watching me play loves this game, she gets beat up all the time and she does not care. She maintains that she adores the clothing the girls wear. The aforementioned casual fan is what the community needs to grow. Gaining the casual fan squarely lies on the developer and how they market their product. I can not have a discussion about frame data with my offspring but i can talk to her about designing a new outfit for Kasumi to fight in or a Coach or Gucci bag for Helena to brawl with. The casual fan is what Tekken and Street fighter has. It took years of direct and indirect marketing. 343 for street fighter 70% percent of those guys are casuals I bet.

Thanks!

Hello,
I am new here but not new to DOA and fighting games. I like your passion for your hobby. However, the building of a community truly lies on the developer and their marketing. Please agree with me that DOA marketing is not good. This game with the user friendly fighting mechanics and the DLC alone can compete if marketed the right way. For example, my daughter who grew up watching me play loves this game, she gets beat up all the time and she does not care. She maintains that she adores the clothing the girls wear. The aforementioned casual fan is what the community needs to grow. Gaining the casual fan squarely lies on the developer and how they market their product. I can not have a discussion about frame data with my offspring but i can talk to her about designing a new outfit for Kasumi to fight in or a Coach or Gucci bag for Helena to brawl with. The casual fan is what Tekken and Street fighter has. It took years of direct and indirect marketing. 343 for street fighter 70% percent of those guys are casuals I bet.

Thanks!

Appreciate the response. I will disagree with you on only one thing:

However, the building of a community truly lies on the developer and their marketing.

It lies on the community and their marketing of themselves.

Are there any updates on the numbers? I'm sure it will be better by now! =)

I wish one day someone would invent a teleporter, so that people like me who don't live in the USA can use it and teleport to the venue and take part in the major tournaments. Lots of us want to take part but we live too far away.

Are there any updates on the numbers? I'm sure it will be better by now! =)

I wish one day someone would invent a teleporter, so that people like me who don't live in the USA can use it and teleport to the venue and take part in the major tournaments. Lots of us want to take part but we live too far away.

I believe those were the final pre-reg numbers. So the event will be capped at 64 entrants leaving only 22 spots for at-door registrants to join.

At least you guys have actual tournaments... ever since @Tulkas left for England, the DOA community in Venezuela was reduced to offline gathering at my place in Caracas and another guy's house in a city five hours away from here. Pisses me off that while I'd kill to be able to attend these kind of things, several American members have a solid chance a let it pass.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD