FSD Interview: Touching Base with Master

No doubt it has been some time since we last had a one-on-one discussion with our Team NINJA CM, Master and now with the release of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty the busy Super NINJA has finally been allowed some space and room to breathe before engaging with the next series of Team NINJA project(s) including Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty DLC and Rise of the Rōnin. We're very lucky to have him as a CM because he's not strictly business with the community and truly puts on a spectacle with each Team NINJA project showing complete loyalty and passion for the Team NINJA brand.

Before becoming the Team NINJA CM, Master was a G4 television star, Dead or Alive 4 2008 World Champion, a 2013 Guiness World Record Setter and also had the most complete and successful Ryu Hayabusa in all variants of Dead or Alive 5. Now that he can no longer compete in Dead or Alive, he is setting records with Team NINJA's magnum opus NINJA GAIDEN: Black. You're encouraged to walk the way of a real Super NINJA by following him at his regular
Twitch Stream.

DOAN: Hello, Master! Can you illustrate to us how a day of working for Team NINJA as the community manager works?

MASTER: What's up DOAN/FSD! I am Emmanuel “MASTER” Rodriguez, former DOA pro and currently the Community Manager (CM) for Team NINJA Studio. When working, I usually have a bunch of tasks to look at or do but my primary task is to engage the community through social media, see what the response is to our games or franchises and report any major concerns that people are talking about. I try to be that bridge between community and developers.

Additionally, I sometimes assist with various other things like interviews, game break downs, esports topics or on occasion capturing for media or promotional trailers.

When you heard about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty's success just when it comes to sheer Steam numbers alone what was the reaction from the team. More specifically, what was your reaction? It's quite a feat to double Nioh 2's all-time numbers on launch day. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is looking to be one of Team NINJA's most successful games of all time in this modern day of how things now work in the industry.

I’m always thankful to be a part of any project the team puts together and happy to see their work create great experiences for players around the world. This is actually my 4th project with the team and I’m happy to see the amazing response behind Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Do you miss the spotlight? How have you dealt with no longer being a competitor as an esports gamer that's competed on television and big streams. I imagine there must have been some type of a transition.

Haha! The spotlight as a competitor is something I do miss from time to time, but I also understand this was a necessary transition for me. I’ve been in the esports battlegrounds long enough to know that it can be a difficult transition from top competitor to your next career move. Even if it were an option, it is unrealistic, at this point of my life, to try to juggle both and would be a disservice to the communities.

I believe it's important to keep focus on our players that enjoy Team NINJA's games and help their voices be heard when possible. I am redirecting my spotlight back to the community because they deserve it. They’re the reason I am here in the first place.

Does Team NINJA have any plans to work with Microsoft again on Game Pass in the future? What's your thoughts on this platform, and has it helped Team NINJA reach a new audience of players?

The head of the studio is probably better equipped to answer such a question, but I am, personally, happy that there was a new title that the team could create for nearly all platforms. With Wo Long being on Game Pass, I am sure many tried it out and refreshed their memories of the Team NINJA brand and that’s always good to see.

What is something that would surprise the community about you? Something none of us in the community would know.

Haha! That’s good question. Here’s something people may not know. A lot of what I do is mostly self-taught. Rather it be editing, streaming, compiling data for the team, a good chunk of that was learned on my own through video/reading or through real life experiences.

I initially went to college for computer engineering, but soon after was given an opportunity to go to the esports pro leagues. Fast forward to 2023 and here I am now on this crazy ride. I mention this snippet of my life to hopefully encourage others to always continue learning about themselves and what they love to do. Whether it be through an expensive school or having the discipline to learn on their own to become successful.

No matter what path you take, never give up on learning. It’s an investment to yourself.

Well said. When can we expect to hear announcements pertaining to Wo Long's season pass?

All I can say on that is please look forward to the coming months for Wo Long DLC information @WoLongOfficial. I can’t wait myself.

Everyone is talking about the Lu Bu boss fight. Who is your favorite boss in Wo Long, and which boss fight stuck out to you as the most difficult.

I think Lu Bu is a very rewarding fight in New Game+. He really tests your mettle but for me the final boss in the last mission is probably my favorite. I don’t want to spoil it for those that haven’t made it there, but he is a little tricky at first and his ability to deflect you felt more engaging to me than most other fights. I’ll leave it at that.

What's your message to the community pertaining to the future? Do you have a message for the community now?

I hope the community continues to enjoy and support Team NINJA games. We all thank you and look forward to bringing more great Team NINJA experiences in the near future.

Before Wo Long's release you were becoming quite the speed demon in NINJA GAIDEN: Black. What ignited in you to start setting records with NINJA GAIDEN speed running?

That’s a really good question and I’m actually going to tell you something no one knows. So, the first thing to mention here is, before NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection was even announced, I knew I needed to get my NG skills back in order. The second objective was that I wanted the community of NG to know that someone internally on the team had completed all NGMC games and Xbox NG versions on the hardest difficulties.

Within the NG community there is a certain level of respect for accomplishing that. The last part, which is the actual speed running, is for two reasons. The main reason was to show that I am willing to dedicate myself to the franchise and community to even get a decent time on the speed run boards. I believe there is a level of importance with having someone internally committed and also has comprehensive ability with the products Team NINJA sells in a way that the community will respect or appreciate. The second reason is a bit more personal, and I don’t feel comfortable sharing that at this time. For those that don’t know, Ryu Hayabusa and I go many years back now. When the time is more appropriate, I will share that with everyone.

Thank you everyone for the continuous support all these years and I hope you look forward to the upcoming DLC & Season Pass content for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Contact & Follow Master: @oMASTERo | @TeamNINJAStudio

Follow Master's Official Projects: @Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | @Dead or Alive 6 | @Nioh 2 | @NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection

Last edited:
What community does he manage?

Why aren't DOA community events scheduled? It would be great if a representative from Team Ninja would try to cultivate and grow a community with consistent scheduling whether it be from doing tournaments or casual sets or even coaching sessions. Why is there no dedication to growing the DOA scene?

It's a shame to see the DOA community so separated and fragmented. There should be more effort to unite players together.

I guess DOA isn't worth playing or keeping it active.

What community does he manage?

Why aren't DOA community events scheduled? It would be great if a representative from Team Ninja would try to cultivate and grow a community with consistent scheduling whether it be from doing tournaments or casual sets or even coaching sessions. Why is there no dedication to growing the DOA scene?

It's a shame to see the DOA community so separated and fragmented. There should be more effort to unite players together.

I guess DOA isn't worth playing or keeping it active.

1. Team NINJA as a whole.

2. Community events by Master? That's worth looking into. I'll ask him about it.

3. Don't give up complete hope. The tournament organizer for EVO Japan did reach out to KT for help and they did make full capacity. Plus, DOA6 is scheduled to make an appearance at NEC.

But the question still hasn't been answered as to what community. A bunch of rando Twitter users that @ TN is what constitutes as a community?

But the question still hasn't been answered as to what community. A bunch of rando Twitter users that @ TN is what constitutes as a community?

Because I don't get your question honestly. Just about every game and franchise has a community. This was an interview from our community manager, a title that KT appointed to Master-san. FSD, and all of Team NINJA's socials equate to being a community. Yes. Once again KT also had a hand with EVO Japan tournament, and we will make that abundantly clear in future articles, so people know why.

There is a Bible character (LOL) named doubting Thomas and he insists to Jesus that he must see those nail scarred hands. Don't be like old doubting Tom, Rob. Be able to comprehend it the first time when you are in the presence of God, and I say this as metaphorically as I can: if you're going to Church go to worship and not be a non-believer. That is my advice to you my friend. One time I treaded on your path and that was until I knew the way.

Last edited:
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Even my quantum powered AI cannot figure out your reply.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Even my quantum powered AI cannot figure out your reply.

He's saying you're asking the sun for proof of fire. You're asking the clouds for proof of water. You're asking Tom for proof of Jerry. You're asking the buns for proof of hot dogs. You're asking the petroleum jelly for proof of -REDACTED-. You're asking the peanut butter for proof of peanuts. You're asking the Big Mac for proof of heart disease.

You get it?

I think it's a perfectly fair question.

What has Master done for the community? Streaming Ninja Gaiden speedruns for 12 viewers is not nurturing a community of DOA players. Team Ninja is not nurturing the DOA franchise. Why should I give a shit about Team Ninja if they don't give a shit about my favorite game?

I'm not a company/developer fan. I am a DOA fan.

What has Master done for us?

• Star
Reactions: Rob

What has Master done for the community? Streaming Ninja Gaiden speedruns for 12 viewers is not nurturing a community of DOA players. Team Ninja is not nurturing the DOA franchise. Why should I give a shit about Team Ninja if they don't give a shit about my favorite game?

He's done quite alot whether you see it or not, he's not only streaming NG, he does other DOA games too and has way more than 12 viewers. I remember when DOA6 was active there was numerous glitches and bugs and if I @ed him on Twitter he would bring it to the devs and they'd fix it near instantly, and he follows and supports quite alot of DOA community player, he even follows me which I think says alot

Even tho DOA isn't exactly active besides VV atm, that's not to say that him and the devs themselves aren't trying to do something for us behind the scenes

To me this just seems like a Rob alternate account because you talk the same exact type of shit, only respond to posts he makes, you're not polite (like him) and you are entitled and rude which will never bring forth more DOA games anyway.

I would not develop games for someone with this attitude or care about nurturing them. But what I've learned about life is there is always someone like you and Rob so whenever you come into a conversation, I see it as a redundant joke, but go ahead and keep posting.

To me this just seems like a Rob alternate account because you talk the same exact type of shit, only respond to posts he makes, you're not polite (like him) and you are entitled and rude which will never bring forth more DOA games anyway.
Yes, because your echo chamber doesn't hold the same opinions that Rob and I share, so that means I'm his alt account. Never mind that I've been in this community longer than Rob has, and have even organized a tournament and helped organize two other tournaments in the past. I've literally done more in an attempt to grow the community than Master has since DOA6 has launched. You wouldn't know that though, because this community does nothing to befriend and support players, whether that be on FSD, Twitch, or Reddit.

I would not develop games for someone with this attitude or care about nurturing them.
It's alright, they're not developing DOA games for any of you either. :)

• Star
Reactions: Rob
I would not develop games for someone with this attitude or care about nurturing them.
Ok well then I'll start streaming DOA6 for an audience of 50-60 viewers, regurgitate the same old crap why DOA6 is a bad game and why TN can't make good games anymore like a broken record. That'll bring forth more DOA games.

It's crazy that you would criticize Full Cup Bounce on this when he is suggesting something positive here. Having MASTER more involved in community work is a good thing.

Yes, because your echo chamber doesn't hold the same opinions that Rob and I share, so that means I'm his alt account. Never mind that I've been in this community longer than Rob has, and have even organized a tournament and helped organize two other tournaments in the past. I've literally done more in an attempt to grow the community than Master has since DOA6 has launched. You wouldn't know that though, because this community does nothing to befriend and support players, whether that be on FSD, Twitch, or Reddit.

It's alright, they're not developing DOA games for any of you either. :)

Really? You think you have done more than Master based off that? Let me see these tournaments you've organized so I can do write-ups on them or show me some type of proof that you're an organizer. On FSD we highlight players all of the time and so does Twitch. I don't see any receipts from you or proof that you're not an alternate account. The only thing you've done since being here is agree with Rob in the ++ forum and now you've struck this because Rob didn't get the toxic reaction he wanted.

Ok well then I'll start streaming DOA6 for an audience of 50-60 viewers, regurgitate the same old crap why DOA6 is a bad game and why TN can't make good games anymore like a broken record. That'll bring forth more DOA games.

It's crazy that you would criticize Full Cup Bounce on this when he is suggesting something positive here. Having MASTER more involved in community work is a good thing.

I'm not going to sit here and let two worthless morons that have done nothing but bitch criticize Master.

I'm not going to sit here and let two worthless morons that have done nothing but bitch criticize Master.
The criticisms are not about tearing him down. It's about, "hey we are passionate about these games and enjoy them, it would be great if we could get more community support from a guy who's employed by Team Ninja and has the title of 'Community Manager'."

Seriously, what does MASTER do for the DOA "community" that you feel the need to defend him? Where is the community? It doesn't exist. That's why I was baffled by your earlier reply suggesting DOA has one.

The criticisms are not about tearing him down. It's about, "hey we are passionate about these games and enjoy them, it would be great if we could get more community support from a guy who's employed by Team Ninja and has the title of 'Community Manager'."

Seriously, what does MASTER do for the DOA "community" that you feel the need to defend him? Where is the community? It doesn't exist. That's why I was baffled by your earlier reply suggesting DOA has one.

*Liked by Full Cup Bounce* AKA Rob

To say the community is small is one thing, but to say there isn't one at all is just sincere trolling. Master oversees a lot you don't know about and it isn't a cute question to ask or funny at all. People like you are the exact reason there is no future game. Not to mention Master gets a lot more than 12 viewers. That's really selling him short.

Do you actually talk to people like this in your day to day life and somehow think its beneficial? Like I feel like I'm trying to get to the root of your what I think is a mental disorder, but there is still a piece to the puzzle I haven't solved.

The only thing you've done since being here is agree with Rob in the ++ forum and now you've struck this because Rob didn't get the toxic reaction he wanted.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadOrAlive/comments/mvm1y1 Oh what's that? 2 years ago? It was commentated by BlankOctober and Rivlistic.

I also had a part in organizing this tournament: https://www.start.gg/tournament/the-seagull-stress-test-redux/details
There was another tournament hosted by DudeGuyJoey that I also helped organize.

If these players' names are not familiar to you, then you've proven my point already. :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD