Game Theory: The Strategy of Sex Appeal in Dead or Alive

Aven Kujo-Gin

That was interesting, but I think the main point of this is for sex sales. Making the game even more perverted was such a good idea if money if what you want.

KwonJigglypuff

One of my favourite gaming channel doing an episode on DOA. I was kind of disappointed, of course he doesn't know the game and the community, but the demographics within FSD itself are pretty varied. Lots of female players, lots of gay players as well.

Lulu

I think the only strategy sex appeal has in DoA is a marketing one.... and I'm definitely all for it.

So when you are getting started on a new fighting game.... the very first impression is crucial. You don't want a game to be too shallow so that it bores you and you don't want it be so complicated that it intimidates you into quitting.... what makes how much depth you expose to the player is also further complicated by players coming in a different levels of experience.... the way developers get around this problem is using some sort of Cosmetic Spectacle ir Features to keep you entertained while you learn the game's complexity consiously or subconsciously. And different games have different ways of Doing this:

Mortal Kombat his its Gore and Shock Value Violence.

Street Fighter and BlazBlue and those types of games have their Fantastic Artwork and over the top special moves and attacks.

And Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur has its sex appeal....

They all draw in different types of audiences depending on what they use to advertise themselves.... one could say MK draws in aggressive people and DoA draws in sexually curious people.... but ultimately they use their content to keep people motivated long enough to develope an interest into the strategic and competitive aspect of the game....

I think the best part about DoA is how you unlock OMG Mode.... I'm not going to spoil it here but I think how its impliment is fantastic in keeping people motivated either through arousal or humor..... in my opinion OMG mode is more funny than it is sexy.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think the only strategy sex appeal has in DoA is a marketing one.... and I'm definitely all for it.

So when you are getting started on a new fighting game.... the very first impression is crucial. You don't want a game to be too shallow so that it bores you and you don't want it be so complicated that it intimidates you into quitting.... what makes how much depth you expose to the player is also further complicated by players coming in a different levels of experience.... the way developers get around this problem is using some sort of Cosmetic Spectacle ir Features to keep you entertained while you learn the game's complexity consiously or subconsciously. And different games have different ways of Doing this:

Mortal Kombat his its Gore and Shock Value Violence.

Street Fighter and BlazBlue and those types of games have their Fantastic Artwork and over the top special moves and attacks.

And Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur has its sex appeal....

They all draw in different types of audiences depending on what they use to advertise themselves.... one could say MK draws in aggressive people and DoA draws in sexually curious people.... but ultimately they use their content to keep people motivated long enough to develope an interest into the strategic and competitive aspect of the game....

I think the best part about DoA is how you unlock OMG Mode.... I'm not going to spoil it here but I think how its impliment is fantastic in keeping people motivated either through arousal or humor..... in my opinion OMG mode is more funny than it is sexy.
I love OMG mode...I haven't turned it off since October 2013!

Lulu

I love OMG mode...I haven't turned it off since October 2013!

LoL... whether I have it on or off depends on which character I'm using.
For Alpha and Rachel I have it on. For everybody else I have it set to natural.

It seems like for me I'm just not able to get use to it.... and honestly... isn't that a good thing :oops:.... I think it is

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
LoL... whether I have it on or off depends on which character I'm using.
For Alpha and Rachel I have it on. For everybody else I have it set to natural.

It seems like for me I'm just not able to get use to it.... and honestly... isn't that a good thing :oops:.... I think it is
I think whatever is that player's preference is the best choice. To me, Natural is for players who want more generic but still convincing breast jiggle, while DOA is for fans who prefer the original bounce from past games. OMG is specially designed for people who either love huge non stop bouncing, or for the comic effect, and LR is for people who want the most realistic jiggle possible...off is for people who don't really care about it and want them static. I'll have to do a poll one day and see which movement is the most popular. :)

Lulu

I think whatever is that player's preference is the best choice. To me, Natural is for players who want more generic but still convincing breast jiggle, while DOA is for fans who prefer the original bounce from past games. OMG is specially designed for people who either love huge non stop bouncing, or for the comic effect, and LR is for people who want the most realistic jiggle possible...off is for people who don't really care about it and want them static. I'll have to do a poll one day and see which movement is the most popular. :)

Let me know when you do... I wana put my 2 cents in. ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD