God of War Thread

Brute

Standard Donor
Why wouldn't it? It's a franchise that's always received universal acclaim. Now they're just throwing the pretentious narrative spice on top. Despite what may appear to be a huge departure from the series' conventions, it's a zero risk game. It would have been more risky to release a new game more like the previous titles in today's market than to release this.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
About the soundtrack of God of War:

The composer is by the way Bear McCreary, Emmy award winner and composer of the soundtracks of Battlestar Galactica or The Walking Dead. Sounds already very promising. :)

Here's the epic overture of God of War played and sang live on E3 2016, when the game was first revealed:

Main vocalist of the soundtrack is Icelandic singer Eivør. Here's one of her original songs:

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
God of War press kit unboxing:

crying-man.gif

Jadeinchains

God of War press kit unboxing:

crying-man.gif

Beautiful. Guessing the tree of life gold coin is a replica of what the actual currency in the game is or something, Liked the little mini artbook too ( Or maybe It was a full artbook book I couldn't see it great ) Also gonna say that the thing that he was confused by at the end was a bookmark which looked really nice.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Beautiful. Guessing the tree of life gold coin is a replica of what the actual currency in the game is or something, Liked the little mini artbook too ( Or maybe It was a full artbook book I couldn't see it great ) Also gonna say that the thing that he was confused by at the end was a bookmark which looked really nice.

I think the currency in this game is actually "hacksilver": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksilver

Yeah, the guy was in general a little confused. He claimed he was excited about the game, but didn't know who the World Serpent/Jörmundandr was. It has been featured in like every recent trailer. It's even featured in the game logo:

God-of-War-Logo.jpg

Also, good luck playing and reviewing this game over the weekend, as he plans. This is a 30 hours main story game, lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
"Sony Satisfied with God Of War Pre-Orders, Expects More After Reviews Come Out And Assures Continued Support"

"God Of War is indeed one of the most anticipated game of the year, and with only a few days remaining for the game to release, God of War Product Manager Jon Edwards was interviewed by MCVUK with a focus on the marketing angle.

He expressed his satisfaction with the number of pre-orders of the game and expects more of them to come. Edwards said, that “Our pre-orders are in line with our expectations at this point and we anticipate a significant increase once the reviews go live.” He further added, that Sony will “continue to support [God of War] across the year,” as it’s a “key title” for the publisher.

Edwards also emphasized on the game’s marketing plans in Europe. He said, ” God of War is one of our big titles for 2018 and the marketing investment is indicative of that. We want to make sure that we convey the stature and magnitude of God of War; this is an epic action-adventure game which will be brought to life via big AV placements across TV and cinema. The ATL spend will place God of War in front of a huge audience. TV, cinema and VOD will deliver the trailer to a substantial mainstream audience across sport and film audiences – Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim 2, Ready Player One. There will also be out-of-home placements on over 2,500 buses around the UK and hundreds of 48 sheet [billboards]. Alongside this, there will be a large digital and social plan providing new content and high impact advertising across a wide range of gaming sites, mainstream media outlets and more, providing an always-on approach to God of War.“
http://www.indiannoob.in/sony-satis...views-come-out-and-assures-continued-support/

Countdown to the lift of the review embargo:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
God of War is a huge critical success! :D

KonOhWl.png

Here's three reviews that I thought were well made, in-depth and entertaining:

(10/10)

10/10

This one is especially in-depth:
(No score, I think, but according to the reviewer it is the PS4's best game and the game of the generation.)

Some notable quotes from various gaming journalists:

Jeff Canata:
"What if Zelda had an amazing, cinematic story?

What if Last of Us had incredible, skill based combat?

What if Uncharted somehow put all the violence in context?

What if Dark Souls was approachable and clear?

The answer to all of these questions and more is God of War."

Easy Allies:
"God of War doesn’t just feel like the next step for the franchise, but for the entire video game industry."

The Guardian:
"God of War’s world is enormous – set aside at least 30 hours to explore it – but it is devoid of the busy work that plagues similarly ambitious games. Every diversion from the main story is an adventure rather than a task, making exploration worth your while for more than the treasure; some of the best stories here are hidden. The mythological setting imbues this world with mystery. Players feel like archeologists, learning more about the fiction with every foray into an unexplored corner of the map."

Ausgamer:
"I was always a critic of a Greek god being in an entirely different realm with different rules. I thought for sure the game was just using Kratos and the God of War IP to get it over the marketing line, but I’ve been proven massively wrong. This is a God of War game, and it’s fucking brilliant. It has old-school game-design coupled lovingly alongside a modern storytelling tilt, and it marries the two in a contemporary and meaningful way."

Tamoor Houssain:
"I’ve been playing a lot of God of War and it’s really special. The way it deconstructs Kratos and the archetype he represents is masterful. The way it rebuilds him and uses Atreus to anchor that evolution is so well executed. Strong, sharp writing, top notch performances."

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Critics said the same shit about The Last of Us, another pretentious PS-exclusive title featuring a grizzled, bearded old-guy with a kid sidekick and a large focus on narrative storytelling. If I had to give that title a number score, I'd give it a 4/10. Poorly-Named God of War Sequel will probably be better than that one, if nothing else due to the greater potential for interesting monster/environment designs and a lack of stealth focus. But all this "critical" dick-waving sounds about as plausible and level-headed as the people who claimed Black Panther was more than just a stock Marvel movie.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Critics said the same shit about The Last of Us, another pretentious PS-exclusive title featuring a grizzled, bearded old-guy with a kid sidekick and a large focus on narrative storytelling. If I had to give that title a number score, I'd give it a 4/10. Poorly-Named God of War Sequel will probably be better than that one, if nothing else due to the greater potential for interesting monster/environment designs and a lack of stealth focus. But all this "critical" dick-waving sounds about as plausible and level-headed as the people who claimed Black Panther was more than just a stock Marvel movie.

I am a bit skeptical with God of War at the moment. Not even a day one purchase here since it took a completely different route than the mindless button sequences over and over again (I wanted this to be gone but that's just me), the change of combat is what threw me off and I'll probably wait till a sale hits for it. When I first saw gameplay my first impression was that it looked like For Honor with a God of War skin attached. Overall the game itself looks impressive though, but I might wait still.

I just checked the 3rd video and he mentions about Bayonetta and DMC that you mindlessly button mash on those games (which a bit of that I think it's true), but what he was showing was practically no different than the button mashing he had in mind compared to those games (unless he was playing on the easiest difficulty in the newest God of War to allow him to do that).

Game looks impressive, but still hasn't really convinced my wallet on an immediate buy.

Brute

Standard Donor
I think it depends on what you consider "mindlessly mashing buttons." I mean, over 90% of Dark Souls I just spend running in a circle and occasionally hitting R1, but apparently everyone thinks those games are all deep and demand astute mastery or whatever. For Honor's combat is, to me, so closely linked with its guard/hit-level mechanic that without it, I can't say it reminds me of that (which is kind of a shame, because I'd totally dig a game with For Honor's system focused on PvE). God of War has, historically, had very limited selection of weapons and combat moves/techniques, and all I've seen from this one is the axe, which hasn't impressed me.

Everything they've shown makes the game look overwhelming "meh" but with a huge budget thrown on top. I'd probably give it a spin if it were free, but I'm not going to pay $60 for 30 hours of mediocrity.

Lulu

Critics said the same shit about The Last of Us, another pretentious PS-exclusive title featuring a grizzled, bearded old-guy with a kid sidekick and a large focus on narrative storytelling. If I had to give that title a number score, I'd give it a 4/10.

Damn dude thats kinda harsh... don't get me wrong I didn't particularly love it either but... why so such a low oppinion of the game ?

I think it depends on what you consider "mindlessly mashing buttons." I mean, over 90% of Dark Souls I just spend running in a circle and occasionally hitting R1, but apparently everyone thinks those games are all deep and demand astute mastery or whatever.
I've searched high and low and honestly couldn't find a logical explanation for this either.

The closest I got was MatthewMasosis' Dark Souls commentary where he says something about the novelty of how some encounters are setup.... he never said it was deep though.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Forbes:
"PS4's 'God of War' Is The Best-Reviewed Game Since 'Breath of the Wild' And 'Super Mario Odyssey'"

God of War currently boasts a 95 on OpenCritic and a 95 on Metacritic. Some stats about this:
  • That includes 26 perfect scores, including from outlets like IGN, Polygon and Destructoid.
  • OpenCritic says it is in the top 0.1% of all games scored on the site.
  • It is the most well-reviewed game of 2018, tied with Celeste, but that has far fewer reviews aggregated.
  • It is the most well-reviewed game in PS4 history outside of the remasters/re-releases of Grand Theft Auto V (97) and The Last of Us (95).
  • It is the most well-reviewed game on any platform since last year’s dual domination of Nintendo’s Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, both with 97s.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...eath-of-the-wild-and-super-mario-odyssey/amp/

God of 10s, lol

DnWfgoS.png

Lulu

Good lord the combat looks like such a huge step back. It looks like Ubisoft made it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD