Gripes with the system

MasterHavik

Interesting post from the skype group. It seems with how people reaction when getting knockdown in this game. I either see tow things....

1. They tech up or whatever direction quickly holding block.

2. They lay on the ground waiting to a time a wake up kick.

3) If Power Blows guard break and give significant advantage on block at 50% health, why not Power Launchers at 50% health?

6) Breakable command throws. Combo throws and neutral throws should not be the only breakable throws.

8) Give all characters a defensive option to reverse the flow of a fight

3) Power launchers leave the attacker very open on recovery. It would look weird to have a launcher with so much guard break on block; that's what power blows are for. PLs work in the same vein as other launchers (risky when whiffed of blocked), but you need a really big opening for a really big launch.

6) This would lead to no throw punishment, not to mention throws being useless in this game. Throws are a big risk in this game, and doing them at the wrong time leads to taking huge damage anyway. Landing a throw should be a big deal, even on normal hit. Throw punishment is a form of guaranteed damage; that has to stay because every throw serves a purpose, even frame advantage ones.

I agree with the rest in your post, especially #8 for characters who have no defensive options at range or upclose. These would not be gripes tho, but more suggestions for additions. Do we have a suggestions thread anywhere? If TN nerfs based on complaints, then they should also look for stuff to add based on community suggestions.

I remember a looong time ago, Mr. Wah made a suggestion to have differing lifebar amounts for each character, which 2D fighters often have. These lifebars can be based on weight, speed, build, etc., and can reinforce/influence a character's playstyle. Maybe even have different characters more/less resistant to stun or stun thresholds?

Argentus

3) Power launchers leave the attacker very open on recovery. It would look weird to have a launcher with so much guard break on block; that's what power blows are for. PLs work in the same vein as other launchers (risky when whiffed of blocked), but you need a really big opening for a really big launch.

6) This would lead to no throw punishment, not to mention throws being useless in this game. Throws are a big risk in this game, and doing them at the wrong time leads to taking huge damage anyway. Landing a throw should be a big deal, even on normal hit. Throw punishment is a form of guaranteed damage; that has to stay because every throw serves a purpose, even frame advantage ones.

I agree with the rest in your post, especially #8 for characters who have no defensive options at range or upclose. These would not be gripes tho, but more suggestions for additions. Do we have a suggestions thread anywhere? If TN nerfs based on complaints, then they should also look for stuff to add based on community suggestions.

I remember a looong time ago, Mr. Wah made a suggestion to have differing lifebar amounts for each character, which 2D fighters often have. These lifebars can be based on weight, speed, build, etc., and can reinforce/influence a character's playstyle. Maybe even have different characters more/less resistant to stun or stun thresholds?

Yes. Ninjas and Christie should get no health. Guys like leon, Bayman and bass should should take a ton of damage. Others being upper to lower mid.

FakeSypha

1) The lack of okizeme, guaranteed FTs, and all that you already know since day 1.

2) Bound moves/animation in general are a bit dissapointing. I wasn't expecting bounds to work like in VF or Tekken (i.e. launcher > filler > bound > ender), but dammit some characters have NO use for bounds at all.

3) Wonky frame data. Like some guard breaks being negative (and punishable in some cases, which makes no sense), or moves that are stupidly unsafe on NH forcing you always continue with a string.

4) Oh, and throw punishing as the main (true?) form of punishing.

The only true gripe for me would be number 1. The rest, while bad designed for a fighting game, I kinda adapted to them and even appreciated for what they are. I would put the stun/hold system in there... bah, forget it.

Last edited:

Argentus

This pisses me off.

Why the hell does it teleport me behind the opponent.when I'm trying to tech roll away, thus reversing my controls and leaving me wide open because its now doing a slow back attack when I had pressed a quick forward attack?

That has gotten me killed SO many times.

MasterHavik

1) The lack of okizeme, guaranteed FTs, and all that you already know since day 1.

2) Bound moves/animation in general are a bit dissapointing. I wasn't expecting bounds to work like in VF or Tekken (i.e. launcher > filler > bound > ender), but dammit some characters have NO use for bounds at all.

3) Wonky frame data. Like some guard breaks being negative (and punishable in some cases, which makes no sense), or moves that are stupidly unsafe on NH forcing you always continue with a string.

The only true gripe for me would be number 1. The rest, while bad designed for a fighting game, I kinda adapted to them and even appreciated for what they are. I would put the stun/hold system in there... bah, forget it.
they tried making throws do more damage to make throw punishing mean something...but it doesn't meany anything since every character has only like one good throw for punishment. TN trying to do something that won't work.

Musourenka

There's not enough punishment for whiffing low-holds versus whiffing standing holds, even with the increased recovery on low holds. Practically everyone's 1Ts are crap (you get like 3 more damage compared to 2T on HCT). I still say a whiffed low hold should result in you eating 100 damage.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
There's not enough punishment for whiffing low-holds versus whiffing standing holds, even with the increased recovery on low holds. Practically everyone's 1Ts are crap (you get like 3 more damage compared to 2T on HCT). I still say a whiffed low hold should result in you eating 100 damage.

Launch them with a mid, profit.

Brute

Standard Donor
Oh. You must be one of those people who doesn't have a low Izuna Drop throw.

1)

I've thought about this, and frankly, this is the game with the most guaranteed throws. Every other game has throws as a breakable mixup. If you want to land throws as a form of reward, that cannot happen in other games for the most part. In DOA, if you want to avoid getting thrown, it is A LOT harder. Throws are satisfying in this game in a way that no other game does, and I appreciate this game for that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD