Halloween Designer Challenge 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
The fact of the matter is that all art in some way imitates or inspires another. It's not unoriginal to add some of your favorite features to new characters, whether it be intentional or unintentional. Some of the best characters are created that way.

Sonic and Shadow resemble Goku and Vegeta, and they transform to what looks like a super saiyan.

Look at all the Bruce Lee fighter clones, they all resemble the same person, but also have their distinctive characteristics.

Even Kasumi, the main character of DOA was inspired by Mai from KOF.

It's everywhere, and the newer look becomes an inspiration for another look.

It doesn't matter that Argentus's picture looks like Iron Fist. It matters what she's turning it into.

Edit: Life imitates art.

Edit 2: I remember reading this comic series called Irredeemable a few years ago, and it was based on Superman-like superhero that one day snapped and become this really dark villian. Anyways, at the end of the series, the good guys had to kill him and found out a way of interdimentionally phasing him out of existence.

In the story, this scattered the essence of the Irredeemable character in our dimension and made it's way into the minds of Superman's creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, and became the "spontaneous" realization to create Superman.

It's a paradoxical way of saying: "Even though you may think you're original, you are actually unintentionally ripping off ideas."

Last edited:

Boogie

The fact of the matter is that all art in some way imitates or inspires another. It's not unoriginal to add some of your favorite features to new characters, whether it be intentional or unintentional. Some of the best characters are created that way.

Sonic and Shadow resemble Goku and Vegeta, and they transform to what looks like a super saiyan.

Look at all the Bruce Lee fighter clones, they all resemble the same person, but also have their distinctive characteristics.

Even Kasumi, the main character of DOA was inspired by Mai from KOF.

It's everywhere, and the newer look becomes an inspiration for another look.

It doesn't matter that Argentus's picture looks like Iron Fist. It matters what she's turning it into.

your tone seems very pointed rn, but rest assured we all know this. this is not our first costume contest rodeo and argentus has given plleeeeeeeeentttyyy of constructive criticism over the years about costumes so we're all good. the base fact is that the outfit looks like a reskinned iron fist and he hasn't posted an update in over 12 hours so we'll see what he's come up with. just like my bastet christie, which was inspired by catwoman, it leaned too much on imitation rather then inspiration because i drew the mask eyes way too similar. if i cared, i'd go back and change it.

rly idk where your rant was going but just keep in mind that you're preaching the choir and none of this is news and we'll be on the same forum, picking eachothers designs apart after 4 more halloween contests because it seems like they're not moving on to DoA6 no time fucking soon.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
December is hopefully when we'll find out if they're making DOA6 like DB said

I personally hope it's at least another year off, I would rather have a graphic update and added physics

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
Ayane.
https://twitter.com/YinCrescent/status/860251558423953412
C_A6JpQXkAEyuF-.jpg:large

RetroMe91

So I thought I was going to skip this year because I have just felt so put off in the past years, but of course a week before the deadline, I decide to draw some up. I am super glad I did because I am very proud of my Naotora design. I know I am going to be a little sad if another design wins... haha. Well here it is Naotora as a Spider Queen:

NaotoraIi_JoeLewis.jpg

I also put in a new Marie Rose design and and resubmit one of my Honoka designs:
MarieRose_JoeLewis.jpg
Honoka_JoeLewis.jpg

I decided to hand draw this year because I can get more detailed than digitally. I know they will likely get over looked that way, but I really hope they dont! I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD