Community Have Questions for Team NINJA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several massive events on the horizon for our community and a lot of you have had some pretty legitimate questions come up regarding things. More of you have had some completely insane questions, so if you fall into that particular camp, pass right on by. For the rest of you, we've been able to work out something I'm going to avoid calling an interview for a variety of reasons. That non-interview will be with Team NINJA directly.

We could have just whipped up a quick Q&A and posted it as an article, but we wanted to try something a little different. Those of you who've been around for a long enough time may have seen something similar in the past, but this is a different situation we're working with in 2015. We're going to open this up to all of you guys to ask the questions here. Before you get too excited, though, let's lay some ground rules.

First, we have to respect the fact that the Team has a plan in place for the new character regarding the media. You have to wait to find out the new character's favorite dessert, I'm afraid. Stay away from any questions that are very likely promised to traditional media outlets exclusively. For reference, look back at the Radiou reveal. Second, stay away from questions that are about unrevealed gameplay changes to the game. We will find that stuff out when they choose to fill us all in. Third, use common sense. If you ask a question that is deliberately inflammatory, your question won't be passed along. If you ask about something that hasn't been announced regarding other titles (I'm looking at you, DoAX fans), that question will similarly not be moved on.

That leaves you guys with quite a bit to mine for questions. Ever wondered why the team locked intros and such to 30fps? Might be a good question to ask here. Ever thought to yourself, "Self, why were High Level Jumps removed from the game?" Seriously, go nuts with questions here. A few of us will then screen the questions and probably fix some spelling and grammar before working with Team NINJA on getting things rolling.

We are working with an incredibly busy lead up to the launch of our new game with a brand new character reveal this week. There will be a delay, here. But we will get things polished up and pass the ball. Once we have a time table nailed down we will start to feed things back to the community and go from there. Please do not post questions more than once. If you don't want to ask your question publicly for whatever reason, send myself, @Rikuto or @Mr. Wah a direct conversation with the question and request your name be omitted. We may ultimately remove names from the questions anyway so it might be a non-issue but we do have some shy members.

Post away, ladies and gents.

1) Why does Hayabusa's 2H+K trip have such strange properties when compared to the rest of the cast? For example, most of these types of sweeps cause a light stagger on NH, a SDS trip on CH and a full KND trip on HiC. Hayabusa's, however, will vary between the latter two trip types on CH and HiC. This does not appear to be dependent on open/close stance or purely on distance from the target (though that does factor in). From my investigation, it seems to depend on which active frame connects (and what frame winds up activating, obviously, is slightly affected by distance). All in all, this becomes very confusing and difficult to manage in actual fights when knowing what stun the opponent will enter is critical to selecting your following strategy. As a result, I don't often use it, as I'm not fond of the unpredictability (others have mentioned similar issues and difficulty). As one of Hayabusa's few lows that gives him +frames on NH, this inconvenience limits his low game in certain MUs where it's crucial that he develop one (Helena, for example). So, was it created this way intentionally (and if so, why)? Furthermore, is there any possibility it may be changed to a more conventional function in the future (not sure if this final question falls into the unrevealed gameplay category, but the others certainly do not)?

2) Is there any possibility that certain fan costumes which do not make it in the initial build of LR could be added later as DLC?

3) Will the PC version of LR feature all the elements of the current-gen (Xbox One/PS4) releases (graphical capacity, stages, hairstyles, menu options, etc.) or will it be limited in any way from those versions (aside from the delay for online functionality)? Similarly, will all past and future costume DLC for the game be available on the PC version?

4) Why did Akira not answer the Banana Phone?

5) When designing the competitive elements of the game, which kinds of player skill do you best hope to test? For example, is primary focus given to the depth and variety of mind games? The execution skills of the players? Knowledge of the game's mechanics and functions? etc.

6) Will Nyotengu be receiving another fan outfit from the Halloween contest in LR (aside from the one received in Ultimate) since she was not included in the original fan design contest? If not, will she receive any new costumes in LR upon launch, aside from the swimsuits pre-order specials?

7) What was the inspiration for Hayabusa's new facial design?

8) Many fans would like to see new stages even more than new characters. When "continued support" for LR was mentioned, are new DLC stages something that are on the table?

What WILL be in the ps3 version of DoA5LR? We keep getting told what will NOT, be there, it'd be nice to know why we're sacrificing youtube uploads.

1. What nationalities and/or fighting styles not already in the game would you like to include in the future?
  2. Is there any chance of merchandise featuring the male characters being created in the future?
  3. Do you feel that your marketing habits influence which characters become popular or not?
  4. Is there any chance of including a "boss" to the arcade mode (both in home and actual arcade versions)?
  5. Do you feel or notice any trends toward homogeneity in recent, creative Japanese media and character design? If so, how do you feel that it should be addressed?
  6. Any chance of the VF characters getting any of their music themes included into Last Round (Akira's VF5 music was used for his reveal trailer, for example)?
  7. Is the character select screen for LR final? It seems slightly out of whack (Leifang not under Jann-Lee, Phase-4 under Zack instead of, say, Leon, etc.).
  8. Any chance of fixing Helena's English attack yells? Some of them seem to be mistimed.
  9. Any chance of fixing the typos in the background of the Dead or Alive stage (Ein has Hayate's information, some cards have ninjitsu instead of ninjutsu, etc.)
That's probably the best I can do without getting inflammatory. lol

Last edited:
Will the steam version have graphics options like individual settings for textures or antialiasing?

Will the menus have mouse support?

When online for the steam version eventually rolls out, will there be an option to disable mics, mute other players, etc?

Will the steam version be region locked?

Serious Question:
Do you see a big difference between characters that are popular in different regions? Are some characters far more popular than others? If there are any major differences do you think its because of a characters combat mechanics or style and character personality?

Not Serious Question:
Can Hitomi have a 12f mid?

Last edited:
Most of the dlc I bought was on an old PSN account I only use for my purchases now. Will the dlc crossover still work in my case for my main account? Seeing as on PS3 you had all dlc regardless of what user account you were on.

This I can answer for you. Yes any account on the PS4 system will be eligible to access the DLC once you download it. As long as your PS4 is activated when you download it.

There are a lot of questions that I wanted to ask myself. So, since most of the people already beat me to the punch, I'll just ask these questions. (If somebody already asked these questions, I apologize in advance.)

1. Will DOA have a new story mode that really introduces who/what the new characters are? Or will the story mode be continued by having an extra story mode regarding the newest characters?

2. If DOA6 end up being made, how does the souls of the VF characters are looking like? Are they going to be taken out of the game?

This might be a long stretch but I'll put this here.
3. How was the dlc characters thought of? I'm really asking about Honoka and Marie Rose because Phase 4, Raidou, NyoTengu etc. were fan favorites. Marie and Honoka are actually new characters in DOA so I kinda wanna hear what they have to say about the characters.

That is all I can think of as of now. Hopefully these questions aren't to bad. :)

1) Will we ever get language select on the characters?

2) Any new trophies/achievements?

Edit: 3) Is LR getting a new boxart? ('Cause the current one suck IMO.)

1) I asked this once before and from the sounds of it it seems like something that would have a higher chance of happening on the next iteration rather than a continuation of DOA5 for Last Round. If they do it, great, but it sounded like there weren't any plans for it (I asked before DOA5 Ultimate came out).

3) No

Questions about artistic details in the game.

1. Is there any chance to change the K.O. animation so the characters just lays on the floor without moving and not always "shakes their head lying on the floor" after getting K.O.? It looks a bit silly and takes away the "pain factor" seeing the K.O. character shaking their head after a "cliffhanger", a throw/grapple, hitting a danger zone or a "big fall".

2. Can we get more often or allways the "slow motion K.O.effect". and longer K.O. sequences? Now the game cuts the sequence to fast. Something in the middle of a cliffhanger.

3. Can we get a possibility to change the "hit effect" to various new hit effects?

I think i haven't seen anybody asking this question but i going to give it a try.
4. Will we ever get an option to choose a specific music track to a specific stage so that track always plays on that stage no matter what character you choose?

I think a great interest for PC gamers is if the LR version for PC is an equivalent to the X360/PS3 or the X1/PS4 version. You should ask them that!

As an update, we will continue taking submissions through til next week. Going to stop sometime TBD on Monday 1/19. Probably going to go through and answer quite a few of them ourselves as well since a lot of questions being asked have been officially answered already. The less we submit to them the better chance of a quicker reply so we will be pretty aggressive when filtering these. Now's your chance to edit and re-word your questions for your best shot.

(1) Would you consider giving Brad Wong a "dash" option (like Helena's 66 input in Bokuho) for his Handstand and Dokuritsu-ho stances? It would be nice to have *any* kind of mobility in those stances because Brad players currently have none. And especially with Handstand, where Brad's options are somewhat limited, it would be nice to be able to at least close in on an opponent.

(2) Can Brad please be able to transition into Dokuritsu-ho before the start of the match?

(3) The game still needs balancing. This isn't a question. It's a fact.

(4) Would you ever consider giving Alpha-152 a throw from her F.L.O.A.T. stance? Alpha players do appreciate the F.L.O.A.T. knee she was given in DOA5U, but I feel that's not enough.

If my previous questions prove to be unsuited for this "non-interview," here are some general questions I have.

(1) Will there be a 'Last Round' strategy book with all the new characters and frame data once the game has been released? The DOA5 Vanilla guide was very helpful and fun to read, although not for long before it was rendered null by patch updates.

(2) Why did you choose to release Nyotengu? Why not revive Bankotsubo in his true male form? Why was Raidou deemed acceptable to return in male form as opposed to Tengu? Most importantly, will we ever see him return to the cast?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well ask this: I've always wondered why Leifang's 214P which was a high hit CB got its CB properties removed in the final version of DoA5U. Also, I wonder if giving her a CB in her Unshu stance was ever an idea for her.

Did they make Honoka's boobs the biggest boobs because it was important to her actual character? Because I see it as an overly perverted draw on the fans and newcomers. Like what else could have they done?

It's just kind of questionable because they are so big in comparison to her paper thin body that I wonder how she carries them around. Kind of makes me want to throw up.;)

Did they make Honoka's boobs the biggest boobs because it was important to her actual character? Because I see it as an overly perverted draw on the fans and newcomers. Like what else could have they done?

It's just kind of questionable because they are so big in comparison to her paper thin body that I wonder how she carries them around. Kind of makes me want to throw up.;)
Highly doubt that it was anything but "heh heh booooooobs". But funnily enough, there was a comment on the Famitsu article saying that if they make them that big, it kind of becomes disgusting. But, it was only the one comment though. Everyone else was like "heh heh boooooooooobs" and then the one troll commenter calling everyone pathetic otaku NEETs repeatedly.

Your question may fall into the "overly aggressive" category, though...

Why did you have change Jann lee's voice in DOA5 series?
Can we see new moves for Ein or he'll stick the same? That'd be nice to see some new stuff for him because he's basically the same since more than 15 years now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD