Hayashi: A Dead or Alive Collaboration Title Is Possible

Dead or Alive fans have always wondered if Dead or Alive would get a "vs" style treatment in the vein of "Capcom vs SNK" or "Street Fighter X Tekken". Although the most common collaboration recommended is Virtua Fighter vs DOA, personally speaking I still don't believe it would set the world on fire in sales. However, Virtua Fighter's technical skills with DOA's flash could lead to a title that promotes both game franchises at the same time.

Although I'd still rather have a Soul Calibur vs Dynasty Warriors cross over title, Hayashi recently went on record in an EDGE Interview to say that a collaboration title is something the team would be interested in. He also brings up that Virtua Fighter was the first 3D game he played, lending credence to the VF vs DOA idea:

EDGE said:
In an interview, Hayashi told us: "In terms of collaboration titles, there are staff on our team who just love fighting games and if there was any chance to do that we'd actively, possibly do that.

"The first 3D game I played was Virtua Fighter, that's the IP I respect most. Virtua Fighter was the father of 3D gaming, so it's very well respected."

There are many more interesting quotes from Hayashi in the full interview. Including information on the desire to 'mature' the DOA series from the pin-up models of its past and his thoughts on Dead or Alive Dimension's sales (He was a bit disappointed).

Source: EDGE

hayashi_01.jpg

Disappointed? lol he rehashed doa4 onto a brand new handheld that had an extremely rough start and on a format no one wants to play fighters on...lol. He should of saw it coming a mile away. As for a Vs. franchise, didn't he say a few months back that the team had no interest in bandwagoning? lol.

lol, you are right, he did say that a few months back. maybe he sees the hype around SxT and wants in on it. everyone changes their mind, he's just in the spot light so his mind changing may look bad to some.

yeah lol, he could've avoided his disappointment with both eyes shut.

There are so many parallels to VF and DOA that it's not even funny.

If TN does decide to do this in the near future, Hayashi's already making the right choice.

Increased esteem for Hayashi with his respectful comments on VF and hope for DOA with its influence filtering into his approach.

Would love a crossover game.

*Cough*
I remember this too, so I'm gonna give him a pass.

As far as crossover, VF or nothing.

Ya, I'm definitely not against the idea I just think its funny how he kind of flip flopped on the idea. A VF vs DoA would be the best thing to ever happen to the series as competent people would actually be working on it.

Raansu said:
Ya, I'm definitely not against the idea I just think its funny how he kind of flip flopped on the idea. A VF vs DoA would be the best thing to ever happen to the series as competent people would actually be working on it.

-If they ever decided to do a Doa VS. Vf, it should be like a more refined fighters megamix (probably Call it megamix 2!). Allow players to choose wether they want either a Doa or Vf playing style.

Well maybe he's been re thinking strategy after meeting some FSD members ;)

But in any case a DOA game where ring outs end a round? A VF that where they don't?!

Something would have to give but bring it on!

@ VP I thought in that game the only the Fighting Vipers had the "Power Attacks"? Hmm, can't remember. But I do remember Last Bronx! Best weapon based fighter before Soul Cal . . .

:eek: I'm rambling.

Well maybe he's been re thinking strategy after meeting some FSD members ;)

But in any case a DOA game where ring outs end a round? A VF that where they don't?!

Something would have to give but bring it on!

@ VP I thought in that game the only the Fighting Vipers had the "Power Attacks"? Hmm, can't remember. But I do remember Last Bronx! Best weapon based fighter before Soul Cal . . .

:eek: I'm rambling.

I'm personally not a fan of ringouts, but I'm sure they could find a middle ground with the stages. I'd be more interested in how they handle the stun game and juggles. VF and DoA may share certain ideas and certain tools/techniques, but at the same time they are 2 very very different games. It would be very interesting to see how both teams would handle the game.

Saw this posted in the SRK forums.

That said, if he's crossing over with anyone, VF is a good place to start since the series is still seen as the pinnacle of competitive hardcore 3D fighters. That, and both series share the same mechanical roots since DOA does borrow from VF.

DOA vs VF would fit each other almost too perfectly. They pretty much completely solve each others weaknesses and work under nearly the same control scheme.

DOA's level design and action oriented physics with VF's combat system and balance. And it's finally an excuse for someone who knows what they are talking about to go "hey, these hitstun counters are fucking dumb. They're gone."

Why the hell hasn't it happened?

DOA vs VF would fit each other almost too perfectly. They pretty much completely solve each others weaknesses and work under nearly the same control scheme.

DOA's level design and action oriented physics with VF's combat system and balance. And it's finally an excuse for someone who knows what they are talking about to go "hey, these hitstun counters are fucking dumb. They're gone."

Why the hell hasn't it happened?

Yet VF testers are the reason DoA4 ended up the way it did.

Just throwing that out there xD

And I'm throwing it back.

Itagaki is the reason DOA 4 ended up the way it did.

There has never once been any evidence to suggest the VF testers had any impact on it, just loose speculation derived from a complete lack of information. You were there when shimbori said it was changed so it could tailor to Itagaki's personal taste.

All we do know is that about the VF testers is that they didn't really like what they were playing. That's not exactly hard to imagine, it was DOA.

Not in a hundred years.
I don't see why not.

There's a lot the two games have in common, maybe more than I could count. What also makes this the best crossover idea is that it has the potentially least amount of roster sacrifice compared to any other 3D fighting game crossovers. While most crossover games have a large cast, but only so many have parallels with another, VF and DOA doesn't have this problem because their roster is relatively small and leaves very little room for sacrificing characters in the roster. Anyway, I'll share the list of common factors in the game.

1) Both of the games have a general three button scheme: Punch, Kick, and Guard (in DOA, you can also hold the opposing direction to block)

2) At least one game in the series was developed on a common arcade board -- the Sega Model 2. In the same token, Dead or Alive 2 was also developed on a Sega arcade board-- the Naomi. However, Virtua Fighter 4 was developed on an upgrade of that particular board called the Naomi 2.

3) In both games, their earlier titles sported some of the most memorable music in their series. And to this day, they're still having some trouble topping that with their current games.

4) In both storylines, there exists a corporation that is involved with bioengineering: DOATEC and Judgment 6 (aka J6). They both have used ninjas as test subjects for creating bioweapons. In DOA it was Kasumi who was the successful test subject, codenamed "Alpha". In VF, it was Kage-maru's mother, codenamed "Dural". Kage-maru may find common ground with the ninjas of DOA to eliminate the threats, should they ever converge to bring about the end of the world.

5) As of Virtua Fighter 5 R, Hitomi may find an interesting match in Jean Kujo, as Ein has regained his memories as Hayate. However, Jean Kujo is an assassin for J6 and may not share the same sentiments. Either way, it would make an interesting fight, as they both share aspects of Karate.

6) Christie and Sarah Bryant. A femme-fatale assassin of DOATEC vs. a former brainwashed femme-fatale assassin of J6. Their obsession with their respective counterparts - Helena and Jacky - is what drove them to keep fighting.

7) Bass Armstrong and Jeffry McWild are not only devastating grapplers and have high damaging simple strings, they also compete in their respective tournies to pursue their personal dreams: Bass wants to take up motorsports, and Jeffry wants to be a renowned fisherman.

8) Zack and Brad Burns are not only experts at Muay Thai, they have a high sense of charisma and are natural playboys.

9) Tina Armstrong versus Wolf Hawkfield. The battle of the sexes. The most popular female wrestler in the U.S. versus the most popular male wrestler in Canada. Both have similar moves and a giant swing to boot!

10) Jacky Bryant and Jann Lee are both seasoned Jeet Kune Do practitioners, each with a different battle cry.

11) Pai Chan and Lei Fang are not only elegant and refined, it's also debatable that they both were the first to use specialized defensive holds. While Pai was the first character to have defensive holds in the series, Lei Fang may have arguably been the first in her series to have advanced holds.

12) Bayman and Goh Hibagami are both professional assassins, and badass ones at that. As a plus, Goh has at least one thing in common with Christie: They both love diamonds.

13) Kokoro works two ways. With Aoi Umenokouji, they both want to pursue martial arts while maintaining their peaceful occupation. With Akira Yuki, they share some similarities in their fighting styles.

14) Like Gen Fu, Lau Chan doesn't have long to live, and is looking for a worthy successor to his deadly kung fu. Lau may have a clearer understanding of the right person when he sees Eliot and how Gen Fu has raised him.

15) Lion Rafale and Helena Douglas. They're not only French, but Lion may spark an interest in Helena because of their common rebellious nature toward their respective fathers' foundations and wanting to be freed from their cage, so to speak, but Helena might be turned off by him because his fighting style reminds her of Christie, her mother's killer.

16) Brad Wong and Shun Di are both drunken kung fu practitioners. Because Brad Wong is much younger, Shun may mistaken Brad Wong for his long lost student he's been looking for ever since the second VF tournament.

17) Eliot and Eileen based on cuteness factor alone would make them a great pair. They may also be the youngest of their bunch.

18) La Mariposa and El Blaze: Two Lucha Libre wrestlers, each with something of a rivalry with a fellow wrestler,Tina and Wolf, respectively. What more do you want?

19) Bayman also has a common past with Vanessa Lewis. They have both had their parents killed when they were little, and were taken in to be trained as weapons. They also had the irony of ending up destroying the corporations which were once their benefactors.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD