Helena's needed improvements

MCDOA

A lot of people just hold mid like crazy, so you can actually use that to your advantage some of the time.

MCDOA

Yeah, especially while in BKO, but you need need to use some mind tricks on people.
Helena IMO is all about gaining momentum.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Yeah, especially while in BKO, but you need need to use some mind tricks on people.
Helena IMO is all about gaining momentum.
Yep, she has some good tools that aren't mid punch. A good Helena will condition an opponent to use the other holds.
Well it's a good thing that i'm refreshing my knowledge about Helena right now, otherwise i would be killed in plenty of matches lol

CrimsonCJ

Yep, she has some good tools that aren't mid punch. A good Helena will condition an opponent to use the other holds.
Yeah. I kid about the mid punch because you can get a bunch of stuff off it, but it's not really that bad. Even so, it comes through a lot more than a conditioned opponent might actually get the read on, which is how you get away with it.

Doug Nguyen

OK I made an entry in my blog about some changes I feel the game needs. Most of the points are about Helena but others are about Tina, Busa, parries, costumes, Leon and Ein. Feel free to check it out.

http://mikenieto.blogspot.com/2012/10/necessary-changes-in-dead-or-alive-5.html
Great read. Everything i pretty much agree. And i cant believe i didnt know you can enter back stance from bokuho. And a side step while in bokuho sounds so useful, i never played DOA3 too.

KwonJigglypuff

She definitely needs more flexibility with her BKO stance. Sidestep could help. Maybe the taunt button could be used for ducking, and 22/88 for SS.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Technically speaking, she couldn't directly step out of BKO in 3.1. You had to press :F: and THEN step. You're effectively canceling BKO and then instantly using the freestep, but it accomplishes the same thing. It would be nice in 5, but the freestep system isn't quite as good as it was in 3.1, so it may not be as useful. Now if she could sidestep out of BKO instead, that's a whole different story. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, 88/22P was her best tool in 3.1. She needs it back. A sidestep move that evades all linear attacks and puts the opponent in limbo stun? Yes please.

I agree with what Mike said in his blog, especially with Tina. Mila and Bayman get advantage when you break their throws. There's no reason why Tina and Bass shouldn't get this as well.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
I'm dippin' back into this thread just to add another cent in of my pointless change wallet. Ayo at least on the xbox leaderboards, a lot of the top players play Helena using what Mamba calls the "peusdo force techs," and that shi is p.crazy. Helena is definitely hecka good, and I don't think she needs improvement.

Omegan Eckhart

After all the bitching I think she'll get buffed. I have a feeling they'll make Hele better.
Everyone complained about her being stupidly unsafe and having no frame advantage after her reveal and what did we get? She will get buffed but I doubt it will be what we are asking for.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I don't know why people keep saying that she's "unsafe."
Helena seems fine to me, i never have any trouble with her at all.
There is no need for a buff.

Einzelkind

After the initial shock, I also think she's nowhere near being the worst character in the game. If you think about it, she always had that many mid punches. The only thing they changed was taking away the last p in pp2kp and adding some moves. While it's true that all of her sitdown stuns are mid punches, this is the case for most of the cast (and her's actually guarantee a launcher). Her bko duck and her force techs have been nerfed, but they're still viable. If TN is thinking about giving her some buffs, they should consider making her stance transitions from her handslaps safer (+0 would be great), making her bko throw hit the ceiling and give her a sitdown stun or CB from bko or backturned, because 7p is shit. Just my 2 cents.

KwonJigglypuff

The real problem I have with her is her damage output. And her ponytail. That's it.

That would be pretty easy and that would help her case a little bit.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD