DOA5LR Hitomi Guide and Discussion

Tenryuga

I guess, considering hitomi`s insane wall carry juggles and those wall oki set ups you just mentioned, she is probably ment to be played environmentally.

She is. IMO its not worth the meager damage midscreen to force 50/50 oki setups with her when you can easily bait holds to 6T which not only provides satisfying damage when you count the hi counter damage + the strike damage you dealt beforehand but keeps the momentum. What I would use with her however is threshold break knockbacks; more specifically with 3K. Most opponents I encounter like to SE Hitomi since a good amount of her stuns don't allow anything but high launchers when she is SEed. Since 9K is denied when this occurs it opens up for 3K and you can do things like 3K > 3K or 3K when you are near the end of the threshold to get a hard knockdown that is difficult for the opponent to tech on reaction. It pretty much guarantees you a run up 2H+K.

Her wall carry is also something I lol at because you can be 3/4ths of the screen away and all you need is a juggle into PP4PPP and they HIT the wall / dangerzone whereas other characters juggles with knockback would have the character roll in front of the wall but not hit it.

On levels with alot of open space though I recommend doing 4KK > 66PK if possible. It is one point less damage than PP4PPP and less knockback but gives Hitomi more time to get better positioning which IMO is more valueable over the farther knockback on those kinds of levels.

She is such an underrated character man. Definitely not the best of the best but she can hang.

Last edited:

Raansu

She's not underrated, she's just meh. She had better tools in doa4....an inferior game lol.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Overview: Hitomi is a character who doesn't rely on gimmicks, or any kind of overwhelming poweer, instead she is a solid character that relies on the player to make good decisions, and be able to adapt quickly.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm on a journey to improve my DOA game, so I'm approaching the game as if I was a new player. I was trying to figure out which character would be perfect to use and I knew Hitomi would be it due to her not relying on gimmicks (and I love characters with gimmicks). I don't think it's a coincidence that she's the Tutorial character either.

Kris Emery

What is the best way to play Hitomi against
Ayane, Jan Lee? I have a hard time with fast characters when using her

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Did anyone here know about Hitomi's P6PP natural combo?

Delaying 6PP from P6PP is a natural combo on counter hit for +36/+26 advantage.

Raansu

Did anyone here know about Hitomi's P6PP natural combo?

Delaying 6PP from P6PP is a natural combo on counter hit for +36/+26 advantage.

7pp is a natural which is the same string as p6pp. The first p would have to whiff for 6pp to be a natural. p6p is a natural for that string though if the first p hits. Been like that since vanilla and I'm pretty sure dimensions as well when p6pp and 7pp strings were added to her move list, but I no longer have a 3DS to test, but I'm pretty sure it was. PP, 214Pk and 7PK are also 2n1's.

Also, p6pp has pretty finite timing....So I'm not sure how you would delay it.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
7pp is a natural which is the same string as p6pp. The first p would have to whiff for 6pp to be a natural. p6p is a natural for that string though if the first p hits. Been like that since vanilla and I'm pretty sure dimensions as well when p6pp and 7pp strings were added to her move list, but I no longer have a 3DS to test, but I'm pretty sure it was. PP, 214Pk and 7PK are also 2n1's.

Also, p6pp has pretty finite timing....So I'm not sure how you would delay it.

Yes, I'm completely aware of 214PK and 7PK being natural combos. PP is a natural combo for every character except for a select few. that's not what I'm talking about.

I said P6PP has the natural combo. And you'll get the string delay down by practicing it. Biggest upside to P6PP is the string starting at i10 frames, you can counter hit players that are conditioned from trying to press buttons between jab free cancelling (tick throw etc). You don't have to whiff anything.

Raansu

Sorry I didn't see the counter hit part. Yes I'm aware of that, she's had that since vanilla. I'd hardly call it something that can be conditioned though considering its all high's and Hitomi's faster throws are a joke and the string is -6. I still don't know how you think you're delaying p6p...You literally cannot delay that string for more than a fraction of a second.

Chaos

Ehhhh I wouldn't call her a beginner character. I mean she's really easy to use input wise, but mechanically she's not as strong as most of the cast so she requires a lot more focus to win with. Your neutral game has to be really strong and making mistakes with her is a lot more punishment than a lot of other characters. Everything she does that gives advantage typically leads into reset situations so basically she has pretty much no real guaranteed damage threats and lacks any real strong crushes.

Most of her tools are easy to deal with. Hell her low sweeps that leave her +5 on hit can actually be slow escaped and leave her a -1. She has a lot of tools with potential, but they are all pretty flawed in the grand scheme of things when you look at the rest of the cast and you have to work twice as hard to win fights with her. So no, I wouldn't recommend her for a beginner. Hell even top players wont use her in tournaments.

Not to say all is lost. She's fun to play and if you're dead set on using her, just know its a bit of an uphill fight and you have to approach her as a spacing character that emphasizes whiff punishment and to knock back the opponent into the wall as some of her best damage comes from the wall game. She also has an abundance of safe tracking moves. Those are her main strengths. She's not a striker but many people play her as such unfortunately.
Some of the flaws you mentioned about her irritates the hell out of me sometimes.

Last edited:

ADVIII

Yes, I'm completely aware of 214PK and 7PK being natural combos. PP is a natural combo for every character except for a select few. that's not what I'm talking about.

I said P6PP has the natural combo. And you'll get the string delay down by practicing it. Biggest upside to P6PP is the string starting at i10 frames, you can counter hit players that are conditioned from trying to press buttons between jab free cancelling (tick throw etc). You don't have to whiff anything.
That's one of the strings that I remember the most lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD