How did the study of frame data begin?

TakedaZX

I always wondered, at what point did frame data become a thing. Back in the days of the arcades, It had to be pass of fail didn't it? We didn't have the internet like we do today, so you couldn't really tell, it was just "this move is fast", "this move has good range", "this one just about beats everything". Then again, am I wrong. So anyone remember back in the day, when this started to become a big thing?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I always wondered, at what point did frame data become a thing. Back in the days of the arcades, It had to be pass of fail didn't it? We didn't have the internet like we do today, so you couldn't really tell, it was just "this move is fast", "this move has good range", "this one just about beats everything". Then again, am I wrong. So anyone remember back in the day, when this started to become a big thing?
When competitive salt was created.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I've never heard salt used in that context. What would it mean as a noun?
To clarify, people who are passionate about playing games competitively want some clarity and logic to how they play. When they can't, they get "salty" when they lose and tend to move on to another game. Salty in this case, meaning upset and frustrated.

When frame data comes into play, people who actually play competitively generally have more confidence into teaching others, and further legitimizes their own skill when they had in fact done well consistently in fighting game tournies prior.

NOTE: Awesmic did not post this.

TakedaZX

To clarify, people who are passionate about playing games competitively want some clarity and logic to how they play. When they can't, they get "salty" when they lose and tend to move on to another game. Salty in this case, meaning upset and frustrated.

When frame data comes into play, people who actually play competitively generally have more confidence into teaching others, and further legitimizes their own skill when they had in fact done well consistently in fighting game tournies prior.

NOTE: Awesmic did not post this.
Ah ok so I did interpret that right. When did it become a big thing?

shunwong

I'm guessing it was Virtua Fighter + Japan that started it. But it's just a guess, I have no clue. Wasn't VF the first one running at 60 FPS?

X_Fact0r

Instead of looking it up on the internet, mostly it was either going to your local arcade and manually testing what you could do to beat someone tactics over and over again along with using tech from downloaded video captures of Japanese/European/whoever video captured the arcade cabinet for my game from sites like acho or go for broke. That is what I remember doing for CvS2 around '06 before we found a translated faqs on characters for the game that had frame data in it.

As for the start of frame data being used as strategy, that was before my time I got competitive for fighters in the start of the 21st century.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD