How did you find your main character?

GodlyHades

DOA5U is coming around the corner and as we wait why don't we share stories about our past? Every single DOA player has to have an amazing story of how they met and/or found their main character(s).

Here's mine:
In DOA5 when I first started I picked up Eliot as my main to find out I was doing horrible. I kept button mashing like crazy and I thought I was badass lol. I then moved to Rig and button smashed the K button like a boss! I remember picking Ryu because I was in this room right, and I was so mad. Everything I tried didn't work and I couldn't win any games, but this guy came up and used Ryu and I never actually saw Ryu before. I fell inlove with his fighting style and I picked him up for 1 week and I couldn't stop winning XD. (I kept beating all the noobs LOL). The Ryu that I met was ballr ...he was my inspiriation. Everytime I fought him I just wanted his appreciation. 1 month playing I finally found my perfect charactera and I couldn't be happier. 3 moths have passed since that day now I can proud to say I'm a full fledged pro Hayabusa player, now the question is.

How did you find your main character?

Last edited:

Bushido

Well, my story is short and simple. Sucked with a rushdown Lei, thinking I was a boss. Got demolished in a mirror. Had a conversation with the guy who beat me in said mirror. He was like: 'I think you'd be a good Kokoro or Hitomi player.' I didn't really like Hitomi much, so Kokoro it was. Haven't looked back.
:kokoro:

Rawbietussin

I started way back DOA1. Initially, I used Ayane mainly for her old Snow Knife throw (6T) and her Aya Theme and Tina because she was the first mature lady in the cast and I love all the bitchslapping holds she does back then. Hold a low kick with her, she slaps you then hold a low punch she double slaps you. They were both fun. DOA2 came on the Dreamcast and I shifted from them to Helena. She completely won me over with that hair bow and her outfits. At first, I find it hard to appreciate her because of her "hits like extra-soft pillows damage" and that I lack much knowledge beyond PPP, KKK, 9K and PPK.

Then Itagaki monopolized the whole series in the Xbox/Xbox 360 which left me out of the DOA series. I missed so much. I never got a chance to play DOA3, DOA2U and DOA4 along with DOAXBV and DOAX2. So I yearned and craved for it through Youtube videos of her gameplay (lol obsessive much). Then I downloaded back DOA1 via PSP emulator for nostalgia's sake. At 2010, I just found out Tecmo released DOAP (watered-down DOAX2) and got it downloaded in my PSP. I enjoyed seeing my favorites again after so long and I even took a liking to Christie, Lisa and Rio (secret character from the Super Black Jack series). Then DOAD came and I get a feel of what DOA4 was like and tried to get acquainted with all the changes and my favorite characters movesets. It's also in DOAD where I started to try out the males (mostly Bayman, Leon and Eliot) and I find them fun. Everything just carried over by DOA5 and I took a liking to Sarah that she instantly became my 2nd main.

Step by step, It's like they tried to unite with me again after leaving me for so long as if I got kids who grown up as adults who wishes to visit me.

TL;DR Helena's hair bow and I had history together lol.

Last edited:

Chapstick

Ballr is really fascinating to watch fight.

I picked Kasumi because I like her strong convictions and her fighting style is beautiful. I like using fast characters because they can keep up with me.

As for my second main that I use almost as much as Kasumi, I originally disliked Ayane because she hates my fave for really no good reason. The anger she has for Kasumi is misplaced and she should be focused on the people that treated her like crap, not her childhood friend. But after watching her fight and use her unique spinning style, my curiosity was piqued and I tried her out in training. I loved all the spacing options she has and how you can trick your opponents in a number of ways. So I picked her up as well.

Gill Hustle

Keeping it simple

Played DOA1 Tina 1st choice cuz she was a sexy female power character (unheard of at the time)

DOA2 Kasumi cuz she was Liquid Fast, Awesome Move Set, Could win and look good doing it.

DOA3, 2U and beyond. Ayane DOA3 storyline/ending 2U Intro, It clicked, her playstyle didn't matter to me we just bonded and I learned how to play her for GP.

:ayane:

David Gregg

I'll keep it simple as well:
:eliot:I actually thought he was a girl at first, but I found out rather quickly that I liked the fighting style and that I played best as Eliot. I was so-so with him in 4, a beast with him in dimensions, and now I'm decent in 5. We'll see what Ultimate brings but I have a pretty good feeling that if I main him in ultimate....

tumblr_mbt1u8t18B1qasdemo1_500.gif

Argentus

Saw Leon hurl Jan Lee out doatec tower then beat the living crap out of him down on the street. I was sold.

Theb I picked my new main, Mila once I saw that she a, had cute hair, b, had her second outfit with the jeans and plaid shirt, and c, had Leons mount tackle

Argentus

Ballr is really fascinating to watch fight.

I picked Kasumi because I like her strong convictions and her fighting style is beautiful. I like using fast characters because they can keep up with me.

As for my second main that I use almost as much as Kasumi, I originally disliked Ayane because she hates my fave for really no good reason. The anger she has for Kasumi is misplaced and she should be focused on the people that treated her like crap, not her childhood friend. But after watching her fight and use her unique spinning style, my curiosity was piqued and I tried her out in training. I loved all the spacing options she has and how you can trick your opponents in a number of ways. So I picked her up as well.

Side note. Ayanes hatred for kasumi isn't for no reason. Kasumi is the princess, had everything on a silver platter but went rogue. Ayane hates that because she's had to struggle her whole life while kasumi was given everything, and yet kasumi just abandoned the clan while ayane fought to even be accepted.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

I got DOA3 for the original Xbox, and picked Hitomi because she was the only karateka. There was no MMA back then and no boxers in the game, so I just thought I'd like a style that was most efficient in real life. I probably should've picked Zack with those criteria, actually, but I didn't know Muay Thai back then. :) Or Bayman, combat sambo FTW.

I was a much worse player in general and a slow learner, and I did try out other characters, but Hitomi had some of the easiest juggles, you never drop PP6PK, so I kept maining her. I don't suck so bad anymore, and I'm looking forward to learning Jacky for the challenge, but I'll never drop Hitomi <3 .

Last edited:

Chapstick

Side note. Ayanes hatred for kasumi isn't for no reason. Kasumi is the princess, had everything on a silver platter but went rogue. Ayane hates that because she's had to struggle her whole life while kasumi was given everything, and yet kasumi just abandoned the clan while ayane fought to even be accepted.
But is it Kasumi's fault she was born into that role? No. Nor is it Ayane's fault she was born under her circumstances. She should hate the people that treated her like crap and play favorites. Kasumi didn't do anything to Ayane, they were even best friends. I just want them to get along again already. >>

UpSideDownGRUNT

But is it Kasumi's fault she was born into that role? No. Nor is it Ayane's fault she was born under her circumstances. She should hate the people that treated her like crap and play favorites. Kasumi didn't do anything to Ayane, they were even best friends. I just want them to get along again already. >>
but Ayane and Kasumi ARE friends again... she saves Kasumi's life in the 4th Tournament (not sure if that's OG DoA4 or DoAD's DoA4) and they get along in DoA5 too. The only Kasumi she acted unfriendly against was Kasumi Alpha in DoA5.

TRI Mike

I used to play UMK3 and Killer Instinct on arcades when I was a teenager. One day I saw a DOA2 machine and a couple dudes were playing Jann Lee and Leifang. Lee's cries and Fangs beautiful dress sold me. Then came stage interactions, chinese martial arts, the ninjas, Tina, Helena and ever since then I've been playing.

In DOA2 I started maining Lee and Fang but in Hardcore and 2U I remember moving to Busa, Kasumi, Helena, Ein and even Bayman. Then came DOA3 where I just couldn't put Lee and Fang down, I got pretty good with Ein and Tina on that one too. In DOA4 I just went for Helena and Busa during the whole 7 years though I did learn a little of others.

DOA5 has been very difficult for me because I like too many characters. I've focused most on Tina and I truly believe she's my best character and I have Helena as a secondary. The thing is that I just can't stop playing Rig, Busa, Fang, Pai, Fu, Kasumi, Mila and others. I plan on moving to Leifang in 5U as she seems very solid but only time will tell.

Chapstick

but Ayane and Kasumi ARE friends again... she saves Kasumi's life in the 4th Tournament (not sure if that's OG DoA4 or DoAD's DoA4) and they get along in DoA5 too. The only Kasumi she acted unfriendly against was Kasumi Alpha in DoA5.
They are not friends again just yet. xD Ayane stopping her in 4 and that small smirk she gives Kasumi after throwing a kunai at her in 5 I think are signs they're getting to a point where Ayane is tolerating her.

And do we really know if Hayate and Ayane knew the clone they killed was a fake? Hayabusa definitely knew since he was hiding her back at the village, but I don't think he told Hayate as a test to see if he could really kill his own sister to follow the ninja code. I remember that part where he says "you couldn't even deal with a traitor you're a disgrace etc" which makes me think Hayate didn't really know. Idk they really needed to explain things better.

UpSideDownGRUNT

They are not friends again just yet. xD Ayane stopping her in 4 and that small smirk she gives Kasumi after throwing a kunai at her in 5 I think are signs they're getting to a point where Ayane is tolerating her.

And do we really know if Hayate and Ayane knew the clone they killed was a fake? Hayabusa definitely knew since he was hiding her back at the village, but I don't think he told Hayate as a test to see if he could really kill his own sister to follow the ninja code. I remember that part where he says "you couldn't even deal with a traitor you're a disgrace etc" which makes me think Hayate didn't really know. Idk they really needed to explain things better.
Yeah, but at the same time after Hayate was captured Ayane goes to Hayabusa and he calls for True Kasumi. However, when she shows up Ayane isn't phased by it and neither is Hayate when Lisa releases him.

Brute

Standard Donor
I was first enamored with Hayabusa when I played the DOA2 demo on Dreamcast. The only playable characters were Kasumi, Ayane and Ein, but Kasumi got to fight Ryu in an epic encounter. When I saw him use Izunas I was like: "Damn, that's one cool mofo. I can't wait to play him." So naturally when I got the full game I instantly hopped over to Ryu.
Then somewhere down the line Ninja Gaiden came out. NG1 and NG2 are some of my favorite games of all-time, and after playing them religiously Ryu grew to my buddy. Hayabusa became the coolest badass of all time, and any obstacle could be conquered with him at the helm. When I went back to DOA and started taking it seriously, there was no question who I had to use.

As for subs: Leon was just badass. Everything about him has always been so brutal. Picked him up in 2, stuck with him since. Ayane I like story-wise, and her fighting style-appearance resonates very well with me. Also she's in Ninja Gaiden. Then there's Lisa, who for the longest time I never really cared for. I don't know what it was, but I started messing around with her more and spamming Deja Vus, and eventually grew to like her a ton.

SilverForte

Hmmmm, when I first played doa3 back in the day, I used Christie, mainly cause I was a kid and thought she looked cool with her white hair, years later we got 2H and decided to pick ryu this time, can't remember why exactly, but I loved the izuna drop, and later I got into NG, which just made me love him even more.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Oh yeah I should probably post on topic too.

When I first played Dead or Alive it was the demo on Ps1 back in 1998 and the playable characters were Jann Lee and I THINK Kasumi I can't remember I was was about 8 at the time, so I mainly used Jann Lee.

Then in 2001 I played the Dead or Alive 2 demo and again used Jann Lee, but it wasn't until 2005 when I bought Dead or Alive Ultimate for my Xbox and played DoA2U that I actually experimented with the characters and eventually after a while I chose Ein he was powerful, had a cool look(specifically his C1) and was just awesome in general.

In 2011 I finally played Ninja Gaiden 1 and after several hours of kicking ass (and mainly getting my ass kicked) I decided that Hayabusa was just pure ownage so shortly after I decided I would try to learn his move set so I played every DoA I had doing just that.
T
hen in 2012 I decided I would try to learn his Izuna Drop and Shoho-Izuna and once I learned those two throws I started to play him more and more, and because of Ein going MIA in DoA5 Vanilla I decided to main Hayabusa.

Chapstick

Yeah, but at the same time after Hayate was captured Ayane goes to Hayabusa and he calls for True Kasumi. However, when she shows up Ayane isn't phased by it and neither is Hayate when Lisa releases him.
Alright, I just played through that part of the story. Hayate and Ayane see the clone Kasumi jump away. He says to Ayane "Do you feel it as well?" And Ayane says "Only faintly.. But something is definitely wrong." They did not know whether or not she was a clone, but they were suspicious of it.

PJudge

Originally I played Tina in the demo for DOA2U, and mained her when I first got DOA3. I slowly moved to Kasumi for some reason, and flipped between playing them mostly. I started trying out different characters, but always ended up going back to Tina. I switched to Kasumi more when I started doing a lot better in Survival mode with her.

I came to Leon when me and my brother decided to pick to two biggest guys and fight each other. We had a lot of fun with Bayman vs Leon, and ended up playing them a lot more than our "main" matches. I decided to see how far I could get in survival with Leon, and completed it a few times. Because of that, and his sheer badassery, I decided to main him. The rest is history. Ein is another one from DOA3, and that was just because of his awesome trenchcoat.

I came to Tengu from DOA2U as I liked his character design. I pushed him up to main status in DOA4 when I saw that nobody was using him so I decided to start repping him a bit. Turns out that nobody really knew how to fight him in the early days, so that just kinda made me use him more. I tagged him with Helena in her Greek dress because I liked the idea of a goddess being protected by a demon. And Leon......Leon works with everyone.

:)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD